Quote from: Janszoon on Mar 25, 2023, 04:43 AM
Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Mar 25, 2023, 01:30 AM...after getting about 10 minutes into Cats (2019) we realized we needed more time to fortify ourselves against that behemoth.

It's entirely possible that nothing can prepare you for the waking nightmare that is the Cats movie.

this image is more than enough actually- looks about as enticing as gargling razor blades

if the words "joyful" and "christmas" don't scare you off i can't help you

The Crater Lake Monster (1977)

Low-budget sci-fi/horror with some very dated-looking stop motion animation which looks like something from a 1930's era movie. A meteorite crashes into a lake in Northern California and reanimates a Plesiosaurus which has been lying dormant in some form of suspended animation at the bottom of the lake for millions of years. The hungry beast soon emerges looking for food and runs amok in and around the lake.

So bad it's sort of good but not great.

:2.5stars: 

Saw Matthew Bright's 1996 movie Freeway:

The idea behind it seems to have been a modern retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, but describing it merely as that would be selling it short to say the least. It is a fairly depraved movie about a juvenile delinquent played by Reese Witherspoon. She's an illiterate who gets molested by her step father while her mother is out whoring for drug money. The movie takes her through various hardships including a very violent encounter or two with a certain serial killer.

It's obvious satire and it seems to be placed in that sort of alternate movie universe where everything is just a little more extreme than reality tends to be. Reese actually does a very good role here. She seemed so prudish to me before, but this movie is anything but. On a few occasions, it actually gets rather offensive.

Kiefer also plays his role well in this movie.

At times it seems like it might become an unpredictable mess, but it works and Reese in particularl plays it tight throughout.

I didn't laugh as much as I did watching Tiptoes, but I liked it.

:3stars:

Happiness is a warm manatee

Minari.

Charming, understated, but not my favourite. But good.

everything everywhere all at once

really bad really boring really ugly cliche score an hour too long mtv era hyper collage style montage throughout

here's a fair review

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/everything-everywhere-all-at-once-reviewed-theres-no-there-there

it is a really beautiful film if you're receptive to what it's trying to do, but (without really meaning this in a bitchy way) I'm not surprised that you're not

Quote from: Marie Monday on Mar 26, 2023, 08:48 PMit is a really beautiful film if you're receptive to what it's trying to do, but (without really meaning this in a bitchy way) I'm not surprised that you're not

i'm not surprised you like it

and i'm not surprised that you can't simply defend the film without tossing in a personal attack

i think mb has damaged you (not trying to be bitchy or anything just a friendly observation)

I liked Everything... A lot too. It felt fresh and original. It told a complicated story about the multiverse in a fun and inspiring way while addressing certain insecurities or faults that I think most of us have to deal with to some extent.

And it warmed my heart to see Michelle Yeoh and Jamie Lee Curtis in such awesome and funny roles. In hindsight, I'd say the same for Ke Huy Quan, but I didn't realize he was the kid from Goonies / Temple of Doom when I saw it.

Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 26, 2023, 09:04 PMI liked Everything... A lot too. It felt fresh and original. It told a complicated story about the multiverse in a fun and inspiring way while addressing certain insecurities or faults that I think most of us have to deal with to some extent.

And it warmed my heart to see Michelle Yeoh and Jamie Lee Curtis in such awesome and funny roles. In hindsight, I'd say the same for Ke Huy Quan, but I didn't realize he was the kid from Goonies / Temple of Doom when I saw it.

just curious, was it hard to have a different take on a film without throwing in some kind of personal attack or is that just how normal people talk about film and literature and so on?

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 26, 2023, 06:20 PMeverything everywhere all at once

really bad really boring really ugly cliche score an hour too long mtv era hyper collage style montage throughout

here's a fair review

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/everything-everywhere-all-at-once-reviewed-theres-no-there-there

I don't hate your opinion but be prepared for the whole world to turn on you.

#220 Mar 27, 2023, 12:14 AM Last Edit: Mar 27, 2023, 12:18 AM by Guybrush
I saw Night Will Fall, a 2014 documentary about an unfinished WW2 documentary to document the atrocities at concentration camps. Quite a bit of work went into producing it, but  it was never finished and published for geopolitical reasons.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3455822/

The documentary this is about was called German Concentration Camps Factual Survey. Allied soldiers liberating concentration camps brought cameras to document the crimes that had gone on there and some of the cleanup efforts, like the burial of emaciated dead bodies in mass graves. This movie contains quite a bit of footage from that. Although I do think this is the sort of film "everyone" should see, the depictions of dead and murdered prisoners makes for a hard watch, especially the bodies that were killed brutally.

Sidney Bernstein and Alfred Hitchcock was attached to this project, so it has an interesting history. They found some of the liberated Jews who appear in some of the footage and they appear in the documentary. There are also interviews with some allied soldiers, a lawyer from the Nuremberg trials, etc.

It's a good documentary and an important historical document. Everyone at all interested in WW2 should check this out if you haven't already.

Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 27, 2023, 12:14 AMI saw Night Will Fall, a 2014 documentary about an unfinished WW2 documentary to document the atrocities at concentration camps. Quite a bit of work went into producing it, but  it was never finished and published for geopolitical reasons.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3455822/

The documentary this is about was called German Concentration Camps Factual Survey. Allied soldiers liberating concentration camps brought cameras to document the crimes that had gone on there and some of the cleanup efforts, like the burial of emaciated dead bodies in mass graves. This movie contains quite a bit of footage from that. Although I do think this is the sort of film "everyone" should see, the depictions of dead and murdered prisoners makes for a hard watch, especially the bodies that were killed brutally.

Sidney Bernstein and Alfred Hitchcock was attached to this project, so it has an interesting history. They found some of the liberated Jews who appear in some of the footage and they appear in the documentary. There are also interviews with some allied soldiers, a lawyer from the Nuremberg trials, etc.

It's a good documentary and an important historical document. Everyone at all interested in WW2 should check this out if you haven't already.

That sounds fascinating. I'm adding to my list of documentaries to watch.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 26, 2023, 08:52 PM
Quote from: Marie Monday on Mar 26, 2023, 08:48 PMit is a really beautiful film if you're receptive to what it's trying to do, but (without really meaning this in a bitchy way) I'm not surprised that you're not

i'm not surprised you like it

and i'm not surprised that you can't simply defend the film without tossing in a personal attack

i think mb has damaged you (not trying to be bitchy or anything just a friendly observation)
I wasn't even attacking you, you oversensitive oaf. It was personal because I just think the reason you don't like the film is personal

I saw Takashi Miike's Audition from 1999.

Brief plot description
A guy in the movie biz uses a movie audition as an excuse to also audition women to be his next girlfriend. One applicant catches his eye and he starts pursuing her. But she's not quite as expected and a bit like he made a trap for her, she also made a trap for him
[close]

The movie has a fun sort of twist towards the end and is well made, but I didn't find it very entertaining. It's also a bit gross how he picks the youngest looking girl :laughing: she looks like a child.

I know it's considered a real classic, but for me it fell just a bit short of the things it tried. It fell short as a drama. Neither the grief of losing his wife or his new feelings towards the new girl were communicated believably. During their dates, they seem robotic and she's so meek. Having been married and having an older son, seems weird he would go for that. As a thriller, I think they perhaps give away that she's not what she seems a little early on. I liked the scene in her derelict apartment when she's waiting on the phone, though. Simple, but effective.

Still it's generally well acted, filmed and edited (despite some annoying flashbacks) and it's not a bad movie. I just don't quite get the hype.

I'd rate it: :3stars:

Ryu Murakami is a strong writer based on the two books I've read.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that movie.