Jan 09, 2023, 08:40 AM Last Edit: Jan 09, 2023, 08:42 AM by Guybrush
What's the latest movie you've seen? Let us know and feel free to add a small movie review.

The latest film I saw was Eyes Wide Shut. I've seen this before, but that was around the time of its release and I didn't remember much, although I knew what I was getting into.

This time around, it made (even) less sense to me.

Eyes Wide Shut spoiler
Why would a basic swingers club be so sinister? I'm actually inclined to believe Ziegler's explanation that the swingers had nothing to do with the death of a character we'd previously seen almost ODing at a regular party.

However, this makes it a movie about very little. Tom Cruise's character barely gets to explore a slightly sordid underside to society, both poor (the prostitute) and rich (the swingers club), without doing much besides observing.

Why does it seem like Nicole Kidman's character dreams about the swingers club which she knows nothing about and why doesn't the movie focus more on her character? She seems to be the one with the most interesting inner life of the two.
[close]

I felt like the movie had been more interesting if it had been more of an exploration of the world uncovered rather than just an observing of it. It's a bit like a conservative's peek at a daring subject. As it is, it's barely a story worth telling.

The performances are okay. Tom Cruise laughs and grins at the strangest moments which seems a little off, but then that's to be expected.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Last movie I saw was Twister (1996). Very much a product of it's time, but still super fun, although on rewatch the true MVP is Melissa Reeves, Bill's fiance who appears to be the only actual adult in any of this.

In the age of ignorance, being informed is a choice.

Weirdly, I never saw the full twister, only clips from it. How's the 90s CGI?  :)

Perfectly cromulent with one exception:

https://i.imgur.com/9Y1kgcA.mp4

Any way to display a gif/mp4 because the img tag didn't seem to work.

In the age of ignorance, being informed is a choice.

Yeah, that didn't look great :laughing:

Quote from: Comus on Jan 10, 2023, 09:19 PMAny way to display a gif/mp4 because the img tag didn't seem to work.

There's a bunch of unadvertised bbcodes, but none that seem to allow for the embedding of mp4s. I can look into plugins and see if there's anything.

#5 Jan 13, 2023, 02:09 PM Last Edit: Jan 17, 2023, 01:14 AM by Psy-Fi Reason: Added a Rating.

I watched this low-budget 50's film noir flick last night. A tale of a young, single, wealthy heiress with declining health & a conniving, smooth-talking gold digger. What could possibly go wrong?

:3stars:

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 09, 2023, 08:40 AMWhat's the latest movie you've seen? Let us know and feel free to add a small movie review.

The latest film I saw was Eyes Wide Shut. I've seen this before, but that was around the time of its release and I didn't remember much, although I knew what I was getting into.

This time around, it made (even) less sense to me.

Eyes Wide Shut spoiler
Why would a basic swingers club be so sinister? I'm actually inclined to believe Ziegler's explanation that the swingers had nothing to do with the death of a character we'd previously seen almost ODing at a regular party.

However, this makes it a movie about very little. Tom Cruise's character barely gets to explore a slightly sordid underside to society, both poor (the prostitute) and rich (the swingers club), without doing much besides observing.

Why does it seem like Nicole Kidman's character dreams about the swingers club which she knows nothing about and why doesn't the movie focus more on her character? She seems to be the one with the most interesting inner life of the two.
[close]

I felt like the movie had been more interesting if it had been more of an exploration of the world uncovered rather than just an observing of it. It's a bit like a conservative's peek at a daring subject. As it is, it's barely a story worth telling.

The performances are okay. Tom Cruise laughs and grins at the strangest moments which seems a little off, but then that's to be expected.

Huge fan of that movie. Especially, when TC says "this weed is making you aggressive" and of course this scene

https://youtu.be/eDKiyehma28

Plus, it has an all time great soundtrack

I watched Akira for the first time tonight and ooh my god was it incredible really makes ya think about the universe and stuff

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

Quote from: TheNonSexualOccultHawk on Jan 14, 2023, 12:16 AMHuge fan of that movie. Especially, when TC says "this weed is making you aggressive" and of course this scene

https://youtu.be/eDKiyehma28

Plus, it has an all time great soundtrack

Cool, I too liked that scene.

Eyes Wide Shut
What's your take on the movie? Did a murder take place?

And the costumer's kid must've been a prostitute, right?
[close]

Quote from: tristan_geoff on Jan 14, 2023, 06:49 AMI watched Akira for the first time tonight and ooh my god was it incredible really makes ya think about the universe and stuff

I love Akira :) wish my wife didn't hate it so we could watch it together.

Probably blasphemy, but I prefer the movie to the totality of the manga which eventually gets a bit tedious after the big event imo.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 10, 2023, 07:10 PMWeirdly, I never saw the full twister, only clips from it. How's the 90s CGI?  :)

Awesome! It's far and away the ONLY reason to see the movie.

#11 Jan 14, 2023, 05:56 PM Last Edit: Feb 04, 2023, 09:22 PM by Psy-Fi Reason: Added a Rating & Restored Image

I watched this one yesterday. A good but rather predictable low-budget thriller from 1946, featuring Vincent Price as the head of a private psychiatric hospital.

:3stars:

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Jan 14, 2023, 05:56 PMI watched this one yesterday. A good but rather predictable low-budget thriller from 1946, featuring Vincent Price as the head of a private psychiatric hospital.

Looks kinda fun. I love Price - the hammier he gets, the better.

So the title is Shock. Is it in any way related to the then modern electro shock treatment therapy?

This was actually a very funny take on the time loop thing.
Much better than I expected going in.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 14, 2023, 06:05 PM
Quote from: Psy-Fi on Jan 14, 2023, 05:56 PMI watched this one yesterday. A good but rather predictable low-budget thriller from 1946, featuring Vincent Price as the head of a private psychiatric hospital.

Looks kinda fun. I love Price - the hammier he gets, the better.

So the title is Shock. Is it in any way related to the then modern electro shock treatment therapy?

No, the title isn't a reference to electro shock therapy. It's a reference to a mental state of shock.