@Guybrush I saw that movie almost twenty years ago but I still think about it sometimes.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Das Boot - The Original Uncut Version (1985)

I saw this film in a theater when it was originally released in 1981 and it blew me away. Easily one of the top 10 war films I've ever seen and the best submarine warfare film I've ever seen. Many years later I saw the 'Director's Cut' version, which expanded the length of the film with extra footage that was left out of the theatrical release and the film was even better with the extra footage added. Several years ago I discovered this version on DVD and bought a copy. It's the complete TV series of the film, originally shown in six parts but edited into a seamless whole movie for this release. It clocks in at 4 hours and 53 minutes and is still just as incredible and powerful even at that time length. I just re-watched it and it still amazes me just how much of a masterpiece this film is in every way. If anyone hasn't seen this before, I recommend skipping the theatrical release and the director's cut version and just go straight to this definitive version. Well worth the 4 hours and 53 minutes of your viewing time.

:5stars:

I remember being in awe the first time I aw Das Boot as well. I liked the perspective from the German side who apparently weren't all that crazy about Hitler either. There was nothing glorifying about the film which also makes it such a classic. It's all there to see, warts and all.

The Word has spoken :D

I liked Das Boot too.. didn't know there was a 5 hour version. I might put it on my to-do list :)

Happiness is a warm manatee

Das Boot is such a great movie. It always cracked me up that his next movie was The Neverending Story. Not that that's not a good movie too, just a wildly different tone mostly. I guess some of it is pretty dark for a kid's movie though.

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 24, 2023, 02:16 AMwell nope is extremely boring

I loved Nope, what made you think it was boring?

Quote from: SGR on Mar 24, 2023, 02:19 AM

no violence
no sex
lame plot

like why not show the monkey going ham and ripping that girl's face off

us and get out were great so i was really looking forward to it but it offered nothing

also i hate movies that have long scenes in the dark where you can't see anything

hello it's a visual medium the point of seeing a movie is seeing things - like if i go to the symphony i expect to hear the instruments - i don't think that's too much to ask

the movie repeats the attempts to photograph the flying saucer too many times

there's no suspense
no drama

it's not experimental or interesting on the grounds that pushes any type of cinematic boundaries

the positive reviews saw he's stepping into spielberg territory

please - those movies tell interesting stories

even the dialogue was extremely dull

say something interesting

if they just showed the monkey scene instead of expecting you to imagine it - again, it's FILM that means you SHOW me - stop trying to be literature

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 24, 2023, 02:49 AM
Quote from: SGR on Mar 24, 2023, 02:19 AM

no violence
no sex
lame plot

like why not show the monkey going ham and ripping that girl's face off

us and get out were great so i was really looking forward to it but it offered nothing

also i hate movies that have long scenes in the dark where you can't see anything

hello it's a visual medium the point of seeing a movie is seeing things - like if i go to the symphony i expect to hear the instruments - i don't think that's too much to ask

the movie repeats the attempts to photograph the flying saucer too many times

there's no suspense
no drama

it's not experimental or interesting on the grounds that pushes any type of cinematic boundaries

the positive reviews saw he's stepping into spielberg territory

please - those movies tell interesting stories

even the dialogue was extremely dull

say something interesting

if they just showed the monkey scene instead of expecting you to imagine it - again, it's FILM that means you SHOW me - stop trying to be literature

Fair enough.

I thought it had enough violence. I don't particularly need a lot of it. And I don't always need it shown, it can be implied if it's done right, and I think that adds a different level of tension - I'm sure you've seen movies where rape is implied but not shown, and I think you'd agree you don't necessarily need or want to see that for it to get its point across.

I don't remember particularly dark scenes (at least where I had trouble seeing), but I'll cop to having a hard time hearing all the dialogue. I'm deaf as hell though - if it was up to me, all movies in theatres would have subtitles by default, but most people would riot over that.

I don't think it's completely original or vastly experimental or anything - but I thought it told an interesting story in an interesting way, and that's more than most movies that hit theatres do nowadays.

Towards the end of Nope, I was kinda loosing interest so while I liked it, I doubt I'll watch it again.

Favorite scene
But I loved when it's above the house and you can hear the screams of its victims and it starts raining blood 🤘
[close]

More scenes like that would've been good.

QuoteI'm sure you've seen movies where rape is implied but not shown, and I think you'd agree you don't necessarily need or want to see that for it to get its point across. 

i used to be absolutely unforgiving as a critic in my hatred for self-censorship but now it depends on the movie- in general i'm going to respect the film makers much mote if the rape is graphic and explicit and deeply disturbing- but i'm not as hardline as i used to be - one reason i never liked blue velvet is because the rape scene was removed to avoid an nc17 rating it may have just been x back then - it even spilled into other of lynch's film that i never forgave him as a director for making that compromise

I thought Nope was great as is. For me it was a perfect mix of tension and comedy.

#207 Mar 24, 2023, 11:44 PM Last Edit: Mar 24, 2023, 11:46 PM by Guybrush
We saw the star studded stinker Tiptoes today.

It's a drama that features a lot of little people and difficult feelings with little people and their related problems. We get Kate Beckinsale and Matthew McConaughey as a troubled couple, Gary Oldman as the groom's twin, Peter Dinklage as a french freeloader, Patricia Arquette as some rando hanger on.

It's actually rather good as an unintentional comedy. I laughed more at this than any of my recently watched comedies posted earlier. It's sometimes offensive, there's quite a bit of overacting and weird melodrama so it's always serious in the wrong places, we get Peter Dinklage doing an outrageous french accent and why oh why did they cast Gary Oldman as a little person? Couldn't they just find a little person actor? Instead we have to watch him stick his torso up through a hole in a couch and pretend those bendy rubber legs are real. Jesus Christ.

I just mentioned director Matthew Bright in the hot peeps thread as he has a couple of roles in Forbidden Zone (one that I like in particular). Whatever he achieved with this, the result is a pretty entertaining watch ;D

:3.5stars:

Sorry for posting this twice in a day, but the trailer is also amazing:

I'm definitely going to check up on Bright's other movies too.

A Troll in Central Park (1994)

I watched a man's heart break in half the other day. My fiance and I were doing one of our regular bad movie nights, and after getting about 10 minutes into Cats (2019) we realized we needed more time to fortify ourselves against that behemoth.

So he asked me what other bad movie I wanted to watch, and I suggested Don Bluth's 1994 children's cheesefest, A Troll in Central Park. My fiance, this sweet summer child, said "oh, but that's a great movie!" It was a childhood favorite of his, and he hadn't seen it in over 25 years. We watched it, and while my dearest fiance was initially excited with nostalgia, his expressions soon turned from elation to confused disappointment at what we saw.

I tried to warn you, darling. I'm so sorry you had to see that.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Mar 25, 2023, 01:30 AM...after getting about 10 minutes into Cats (2019) we realized we needed more time to fortify ourselves against that behemoth.

It's entirely possible that nothing can prepare you for the waking nightmare that is the Cats movie.