#165 Mar 11, 2023, 12:09 AM Last Edit: Mar 11, 2023, 12:15 AM by Guybrush
So I just watched the German late 80s video nasty NEKROmantic.

Before I describe it, maybe I should put in a DISCLAIMER about GROSS DESCRIPTION and SPOILER ALERT.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

The movie centers on Rob, a guy who works for some corpse cleanup crew who likes to decorate his apartment with body parts and human bones. He shares the apartment with his girlfriend and one day he brings with him a particularly putrid corpse of a drown victim. They proceed to have a threesome with the corpse, sucking on its eyeball, licking at it and fitting it with a sawn off pipe to act as a penis so she can bang him/it.

She proceeds to use the corpse as a sex toy when he's not around and after he loses his job, she leaves him and takes the corpse with her.

The rest of the movie is Rob spiralling towards his suicide. He kills his cat and rubs its entrails over his body while naked in the tub. He watches a nasty slasher at a movie theater, dreams that he himself is a corpse playing / tossing a severed head back and forth with a girl.

Towards the end, I guess he tries to get a rebound fuck because he takes a prostitute to a cemetery and tries to bang her, but can't get it up until he strangles her and rapes her corpse. He falls asleep and is woken by the cemetery janitor who he murders with a shovel.

At home, he tries to kill himself by stabbing himself in the gut with a knife, but again can't quite do it until he makes it sexual. The last scene is of him stabbing himself repeatedly while ejaculating lots of cum and then blood from an obviously fake penis.

Time for a palate cleanser, I think :laughing:

It may sound worse than it is because it's so cheaply made and it removes some of the impact. There are no professional actors here, only a group of young German friends inspired by the likes of John Waters and probably Tobe Hooper etc. and trying to make the nastiest movie they can.

For what it is, the special fx aren't so bad and they generally opt for real animal parts and meats here and there (like the eyeball that gets sucked on). There's an unfortunate scene of a rabbit breeder killing a rabbit onscreen and skinning it, so some real violence to animals here.

The movie is without tension and goes about its depictions in a fairly everyday way with cheesy music on top which might add a little to its depravity. I preferred repo man to this and can't really recommend it unless your fascinations and/or humour runs very dark. I've known about this for years and just wanted to satiate my curiosity.

How they were able to make such an awesome poster is a bit of a mystery to me :laughing:

Happiness is a warm manatee

O Brother Where Art Thou.

For the gazilionth time. Top 5 Coen film.

^Watched NEKROmantik 2 because I got a hold of it along with the first and why not. Nr. 2 was a much duller fare throughout and very slow in its pacing with not much happening across about 1 hour and 50 minutes. The final scene was pretty wild and definitely made an impression.

Nekromantik 2 final scene
She kept her favorite corpse's sawn off head. While banging her boyfriend by riding him and pinning his arms down with her knees, she cuts his head off. Then she secures a rubber band around his penis so his dead body won't lose the erection, places her favourite corpse's head where his head used to be and rides him to her completion.

Pretty bonkers.
[close]

Everything else was more nasty and a little less dull in the first movie.

"B-Guys! (The Beardnicks) Living and loving for strange kicks!"

"Jet Dolls!" Ready and willing to go into orbit!"

"King of Beatsville! Master mind behind a million dollars worth of murder!"

"The Weirdies! Nobody knows what makes them tick!"

The Rebel Set (1959)

A low-budget 50's B&W crime drama/thriller with a hipster beatnik twist. Unusual, amateurish, ridiculous, and rather entertaining.

:3.5stars:

^Looks kinda lighthearted and funny? Also, that sweater really hugs the body.. even between the boobs.

The Red Baron (2008)

A war drama about the WW1 German fighter pilot ace, Manfred von Richthofen, also known as "The Red Baron." Mostly factual with a few fictional bits added to the story. The main fictional part, which runs through most of the film, was a love affair between Manfred and a nurse who took care of him after he was wounded in a battle. The nurse actually did exist in real life and did take care of him for a time but there is no historical record of a romantic connection between them. I would've preferred it if they hadn't added that fictional romance into the story but it didn't ruin the movie for me. The battle scenes were quite realistic and I'm not much of a fan of computer-generated special effects, mainly because they often look like a video game to me, and they were used in this film, but they were used sparingly and didn't spoil any of the scenes where they were used.

:3.5stars:

Did Snoopy at least have a cameo?

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 09, 2023, 11:38 PMI saw Repo Man today which is one of those movies which has been on my to-do list for ages. I didn't actually like it much as it felt uneven in pacing and often dragging. You probably have to dig the vibe with this one, but I don't quite jibe with it.

It has some funny, edgy characters, but it also isn't quite zany enough so I kinda think it would've been more fun had it been made by Troma :laughing:

to me it's weird how so many here like movies from the 50's

but in the same way i can see how repo man might not be aging that well

i secretly felt like it was a little overrated when i first saw it which was around 88 i think

but still it's a smart commentary on 1980's consumerism and it could do with a remake since things have only gotten worse

honestly i think the movie needed a lot more violence and nudity - most movies are pretty dry without it - so point taken about Troma - i agree actually

pacing can be better in modern films but i don't like when it feels like a warp speed montage either

I like 50s movies, just not hokey sci-fi b-movies. I like cheesy stuff and I'm very into vintage styles and aesthetics of that time period in particular, but b-movies are not my preferred flavor of cheese, so to speak.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

The City of the Dead (1960)

B&W horror flick about devil worship through witchcraft in a small New England town in Massachusetts. A female college student, taking a class on witchcraft, decides to visit a small town in Massachusetts with historical connections to witchcraft to do some research. Her professor is familiar with the town and recommends a local hotel to her where she can stay during her visit. She arrives in the town and begins to notice that some things seem a bit strange and out of place and her situation quickly becomes progressively unnerving.

Not bad for a horror film of this era and the fact that it was shot in B&W gave it an extra bit of a creepy vibe but much of it had the feel of a horror comic book story that was made into a movie. And the use of a fog machine during all of the outside scenes in the small town were overused and only made those scenes seem more like something out of a comic book.

:2.5stars:    

Massachusetts was rife with fog machines when I was growing up. Fact.

#176 Mar 16, 2023, 12:38 AM Last Edit: Mar 16, 2023, 12:40 AM by Guybrush
Watched The Master of Disguise as I got curious after @Mrs. Waffles described it as a career ending movie.

Again I found myself in the realm of man-child comedy. Similar to how Chairman of the Board felt like a vehicle for Carrot Top's brand of comedy, Master of Disguise caters to Dana Carvey's skill at playing various comedic characters. I did notice the credits where it said he wrote this.

The movie is mostly unfunny trash - unless you count laughing at how bad it is (which is why I watched it). Carvey's not bad at characters, but the main character he spends most of his time as (Pistachio Disguisy) is absolutely atrocious with a horrible accent, dumb faces and neverending flat jokes. Big, huge yuck.

The story is mind boggingly stupid. I don't wanna get into it. It's a level of bad that's very impressive in a negative sense. Perhaps one might call it brave.

Adam Sandler helped produce this mess. Figures!

Suffice to say it is some of the worst trash I've ever seen and it's weird they'd even put it out there after making it.

@Mrs. Waffles did you watch Kung Pow: Enter the Fist by any chance? Because I think you might like it :laughing:

#177 Mar 16, 2023, 12:45 AM Last Edit: Mar 16, 2023, 12:49 AM by Lady of Synth
Kung Pow is a classic! My high school friend group used to quote that movie relentlessly.

As for the Master of Disguise, it really is just so bad, absolute bottom of the barrel schlock. You have to be a hardcore bad movie enthusiast to have enough mental fortitude to make it through the film without feeling like your brain is slowly being pounded into a mushy paste. It's jaw droppingly, appallingly bad. And I love it.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

#178 Mar 16, 2023, 10:11 PM Last Edit: Mar 16, 2023, 10:12 PM by Guybrush
^Kung Pow is very quotable :laughing: looking forward to watching it with my kids one day.

I just watched this piece of comedy/horror schlock:

It's pretty bad, yet is still quite charming and occasionally funny. A medical student / mad scientist reanimates his dead girlfriend's decapitated head by combining it with his favorite parts of a bunch of dead hookers. Oh, the shenanigans!

James Lorenz has to do a lot of heavy lifting as the movie's protagonist, the tortured genius Jeffrey Franken who seems to like to lobotomize himself with a drill when life gets too hard. He's no Jeffrey Combs (who plays Re-Animator' Herbert West), but is enjoyable to watch and gets a pass.

Patty Mullen, playing the titular Frankenhooker, is perfect - beautiful, hammy and funny. It seems she didn't do anymore movies after this, which is a shame. It's hard to take one's eyes off her when she's on-screen.

The movie probably sounds gross and gory, but the special fx are obviously cheap and the movie doesn't pack much of a punch in terms of grossness. A lot of people blow up, but there's oddly not a lot of blood. Quite a lot of boobs, though!

I guess I'd rate it: :3stars:

I've never seen that movie, but when I was in college a friend of mine had the poster. I always thought the Bill Murray endorsement was hilarious.