Mission: Impossible?  :laughing:  :laughing:

Quote from: Trollheart on Jul 20, 2024, 01:20 AMMission: Impossible?  :laughing:  :laughing:

More like Mission: Insufferable.

Throw your dog the invisible bone.

I've been on a river kick, which happens to also include Kevin Bacon

a particle; a fragment of totality

Alright, didn't know KB had done multiple river themed movies.

Our friend who's staying with us is very particular about what she can watch, particularly with the mood/situation she's in. Under no circumstance can we watch anything remotely spooky or too weird. Spooky & weird are my go-tos, so obviously I'm out and she's gotten to choose what we watch for movie nights. So far we've seen (of her suggestions):
  • Crazy, Stupid Love - Kinda dumb comedy with Steve Carrell, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling
  • Sense and Sensibility (1995) - Romantic drama with Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant
  • Notting Hill - Romantic drama with Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts
  • Clueless - Teen romantic comedy with Alicia Silverstone, Brittany Murphy and Paul Rudd
  • It's Complicated - Romantic drama/comedy with Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin
Of these, Sense and Sensibility was by far the most enjoyable with Notting Hill and It's Complicated being okay and Clueless and Crazy, Stupid Love being less enjoyable.

Overall, I feel like I need creepy and weird back in my life 😅

Happiness is a warm manatee

I saw A Quiet Place: Day One.

It was interesting to see the beginning of the invasion and how people learned to deal with these creatures but there were some silly moments near the end where people knew the rules of the new universe and just didn't care. They would make noise and then die in a flash. These moments just come off as comedic.

:3.5stars:

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 22, 2024, 01:49 AMAlright, didn't know KB had done multiple river themed movies.

Our friend who's staying with us is very particular about what she can watch, particularly with the mood/situation she's in. Under no circumstance can we watch anything remotely spooky or too weird. Spooky & weird are my go-tos, so obviously I'm out and she's gotten to choose what we watch for movie nights. So far we've seen (of her suggestions):
  • Crazy, Stupid Love - Kinda dumb comedy with Steve Carrell, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling
  • Sense and Sensibility (1995) - Romantic drama with Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant
  • Notting Hill - Romantic drama with Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts
  • Clueless - Teen romantic comedy with Alicia Silverstone, Brittany Murphy and Paul Rudd
  • It's Complicated - Romantic drama/comedy with Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin
Of these, Sense and Sensibility was by far the most enjoyable with Notting Hill and It's Complicated being okay and Clueless and Crazy, Stupid Love being less enjoyable.

Overall, I feel like I need creepy and weird back in my life 😅

So at a wild guess she likes... chick flicks?  ::) Rather you than me.
Saw what might be one of the worst movies I've seen recently, though I can't really say as I fell asleep through most of it. What I saw, though, was dire.

Into the Blue (1997)

Here's the synopsis from IMDB (Wiki wisely refuses to have anything to do with it)

Harry Barnett is a failed businessman who used to run a garage until he went bankrupt. He is now living on the island of Rhodes, looking after the villa of a friend, Alan Dysart, a former government minister. After Heather Mallender, a young woman who is staying at Dysart's villa, goes missing, Harry is accused of her murder. He is determined to prove that she is still alive and to discover why she has vanished. He returns to England and, armed only with a set of photographs that she took, retraces her steps. In doing so, he gradually uncovers a conspiracy which implicates Dysart in the murder of Heather's sister.

Now here's author Robert Goddard on how shit the adaptation was:

Original author Robert Goddard was not impressed with the adaptation of his novel. In an interview, he said "The TV version of Into the Blue was a travesty of the story I wrote and I am determined that any future adaptations should be more faithful to the original".

and a review from someone who knows the novel:

Good TV thriller when taken on its own terms; obviously no friend of the book
Having been dismayed by many tawdry TV rewrites of perfectly good books, I can understand why the "Into the Blue" author and many readers would be apoplectic after watching this. Instead of gasping at the thrills and chills in this TV movie, those who read the book first will merely gasp in surprise at how well over half of anything to do with it has been radically altered for this film, including the most major characters and plot twists.

That any major changes should occur is not a surprise, however. Indeed, one wonders just why the producers chose to film this book of all things. There was just no way 400 pages of dense, hard paragraphs and exhaustive backstory (all in tiny font) could've made a film of 110 or so minutes. Despite having some compelling drama and ideas, frankly the book can afford to lose perhaps 100 pages.

Even so, by the standards of adaptations, this film's condensations and rewriting are savage. I read the book second, then revisited the film. Thus for me, it's rather a hoot how the film broadcasts right from the start how it's spared nothing in its rewriting. In the first five minutes, Harry Barnett shows someone a portrait of Alan Dysart's wife, a small but important (and alive) supporting character in the book. Harry reports that she died of cancer 2 years ago, then moves on without another word. That's that for wifey!

From my point of view, the movie (I know nothing of the book) plays like a really, really bad 1970s spy thriller, like maybe something by Len Deighton or Robert Ludlum or someone*. I found the casting of the aged John Thaw pointless. The man is a legend, sure, but by 1997 he's getting on in years, and one of the opening scenes, where he's in bed with a woman much  younger than him, is frankly laughable. His efforts to be an action hero at his age similarly so. The unsympathetic, almost cartoonish way the Rhodes Police are portrayed is actually insulting, and the cliches abound. Like I say, I slept through most of it (until I had had enough, woke up and probably less than halfway through shut it off and deleted it) but what I even heard in my half-sleep made me roll my eyes. Absolute rubbish.

* No offence intended to either of these writers, or indeed Goddard, who are all I'm sure great novellists. Not my thing really, but I'm just trying to get across the basic theme and mood of the film as I saw it. Put it this way: it was only missing some James-Bond-at-Monte-Carlo music to complete the awful picture.

You might enjoy 2005's Into The Blue more. Paul Walker and Jessica Alba star in it.

Free Guy (2021)

If you're a gamer, you'll love it. If you're not a gamer, you'll still love it. Frivolous, unhinged fun with Ryan Reynolds shining as an NPC (Non Player Character duh) who realises he is actually living in a game world, and wants to be so much more. It's not Tron and it's not The Matrix, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Really enjoyed this. And I'm not even a gamer.

#788 Aug 03, 2024, 02:52 AM Last Edit: Aug 04, 2024, 01:30 AM by DJChameleon
^I need to get around to watching that. There are a few streamers that got a cameo in it.

I saw Trap the latest M. Knight production. He decided to let his oldest daughter star in it which makes sense because she's a singer. This movie reminds me of an episode of Criminal Minds, matter of fact it should have been shortened to an hour and 10 mins or so. The 3rd act falls apart so badly. The premise is a concert is set up to catch a serial killer but they aren't sure what he looks like they just know he's going to be in that building so they pack it with security and cover all exits to question all men leaving the arena.

:2stars:

Tonight I watched House (1977) and Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989) and now I wanna make a low/no budget horror flick with my friends.  Oh my god I'm so inspired what a night.

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

I forgot to mention I also saw Deadpool 3 twice last weekend.

I rushed to see it on Thursday afternoon because I knew that spoilers would be flying left and right. Later on that same night Variety of all places posted spoilers because they were doing coverage of Hall H and revealed some excellent cameos. It was the type of movie that was great to see with an audience with people cheering at certain parts and hearing the laughter of others great atmosphere. I thought I was gonna be annoyed because there was a row of teenagers sitting in the back attempting to be comedians but I didn't let them bother my experience of the film. I might definitely see it one more time before it leaves theaters. It was great to see Wolverine in his comic book accurate suit.

:5stars:

Snowden (2016)

Another of Oliver Stone's political/conspiracy movies, I really enjoyed this. Some of the technical jargon was, naturally, over my head, but it didn't get too much in the way of being able to understand or enjoy the movie. A timely reminder that our very liberty is a fragile thing, and sometimes there are people prepared to stand up and defend it, even if it means they're exiled from their home forever and have to give up everything they had.

Mission: Impossible (1996)

I've seen, I think, Fallout and Rogue Nation (though it's easy to mix them up) and the beginning, if I remember, of Dead Reckoning Part One (though I think it failed a few minutes in) and enjoyed them on a surface level, though I did note fairly soon that you really need to have seen the previous movies to be able to properly follow the later ones. This is, of course, the first in the franchise, and I have to admit, I wasn't impressed. The effects were great, of course, lots of excitement, chases, things exploding, people dying, clever gadgets. But the plot left me confused. Very complicated, very intricate and very hard to follow. I see from reviews I'm not the only one. Kind of felt like I was trying to read some technical manual on spycraft or something and at regular intervals people were lobbing flash grenades at me. I'm unsure if it's worth watching the others now, though I have two of them recorded.

The Favourite (2018)

Saw it once before and only remember liking it. Enjoyed the second time even more. Beautifully filmed, superbly acted, great, biting dialogue, hilarious black humour. A very minor complaint would be that it loses a bit of momentum towards the end and you expect some final twist or intrigue but it ends up on a more low key, sombre note. Still great though and I don't think I'd have changed anything.

Saw Killers of the Flower Moon, finally.

It's fucking long, so had to divvy it up a bit. I think it took us three evenings.

Still, I had a blast with this. What an injustice to the people of the Osage tribe and how great to tell this story. It's also something neither of us had heard about before. Scorsese delivering the conclusion to the story of these characters in a cameo at the end was perfect. I'm not sure I'll want to watch it again, but I still liked it a lot.

:4stars:

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Aug 16, 2024, 10:12 PMSaw Killers of the Flower Moon, finally.

I haven't really been interested in watching that movie, but I did read the book it's based on and it's really worth checking out.

Throw your dog the invisible bone.