I watched this thriller/drama what comes around and the conclusion is so sad and how it wraps up. Really good movie and I didn't have a clue where it was leading me until the big reveal.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Jul 14, 2024, 08:31 PMI watched this thriller/drama what comes around and the conclusion is so sad and how it wraps up. Really good movie and I didn't have a clue where it was leading me until the big reveal.
Which movie though?  ???

Quote from: Trollheart on Jul 14, 2024, 08:42 PMWhich movie though?  ???

Yeah I didn't capitalize the title.

What Comes Around is the name of the movie.

Got it. Thanks. Was just a little confused. Thought you might have been using a phrase to represent, I don't know, people in a group handing around DVDs or something. Or even some new buzzword us oldies aren't privy to, like the "dropping" of an album or something.

No biggie. I'm also typing from my phone so didn't have time to put up the movie poster.

Quote from: Trollheart on Jul 14, 2024, 07:06 PMWatched Blackhawk Down for the first time last night. I have to admit, I wasn't that impressed.  I mean, I know it's based on a real event, but mostly it was just people running around, getting shot and shouting "Hwup!" a lot. ANd there was a lot of gore. I mean, a LOT! Not for me thanks.

Yeah, I thought that movie was pretty overrated as well.

Throw your dog the invisible bone.

To be honest, I was watching it and the video recording from the telly ran out for some reason (I think the programme before it overran) so I switched to the plus one channel, but they were like about a half hour at least behind, and I realised I didn't really care about the ending. I don't know what way you'd categorise it - I would not call it a war movie - but whatever it is, I've seen far better. Also, as two choppers were shot down (at least in the movie) should it not have been titled Blackhawks Down?

#772 Jul 14, 2024, 10:43 PM Last Edit: Jul 14, 2024, 10:59 PM by Janszoon

The Beekeeper
Not a bad action movie for a lazy Sunday. It's in the vein of Taken or John Wick—killing machine comes out of retirement to go on the warpath—and though it's not as good as those other two, it's still pretty entertaining in the way that Jason Statham movies tend to be.

It's society's fault. If there was a proper pension plan in effect for killing machines they wouldn't have to come out of retirement. We have only ourselves to blame.

I rewatched Brazil (director's cut).

Its been many years since my last viewing now, but it still holds up and feels poignant. Me having aged a bit, the movie now seems darker while its jokes are even funnier.

What I love most about it is just the world Gilliam's created where technology is everywhere, but never seems to work properly, and all this oppressive beuracracy seems to exist for its own sake. I much prefer it to its early inspiration 1984 (either book or movie).

A very solid :4stars:

Happiness is a warm manatee

Wonderful movie. I love the scene where Sam is starting work and the guy says loftily something like "Oh you have to know how to use these machines" then it won't work and he snaps "Oh sod it! It's broken!" whereupon Sam plugs it in!  :laughing:

Quote from: Trollheart on Jul 15, 2024, 01:57 AMWonderful movie. I love the scene where Sam is starting work and the guy says loftily something like "Oh you have to know how to use these machines" then it won't work and he snaps "Oh sod it! It's broken!" whereupon Sam plugs it in!  :laughing:

Yes 🙂 I also love the Buttle/Tuttle fuckup which is the perfect story for this universe (and more so than the Sam / Jill romance). It's also little things like Palin's character Jack who, after understanding that he's tortured the wrong man to death, refuses to accept any wrongdoing as the error was first made in another department and he accepted the prisoner on good faith.

Working for the municipality which also handles a bit of beuracracy, there are some similarities and Brazil is a little bit like a nightmare version of my own work environment 😄

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Trollheart on Jul 14, 2024, 10:48 PMIt's society's fault. If there was a proper pension plan in effect for killing machines they wouldn't have to come out of retirement. We have only ourselves to blame.

Also, the warpath is not the big money-earner that some think it is. Afterwards, the typical destruction of their vehicle and using up all the explosives and ammunition they had stored in the basement/garage/barn frequently leaves them in a worse financial situation. 

This is not an isolated story. We can stop this. Text HELPKILL to 555-189-777666 NOW to donate 20 dollars to the Killing Machine Retirement Fund or see our website. Together, we can ensure that when killing machines retire, they stay retired. Thank you.

#779 Jul 19, 2024, 05:27 AM Last Edit: Jul 19, 2024, 12:31 PM by Janszoon

The Mission (2023)
Not to be confused with the 1986 historical drama about missionaries in 18th century South America, this is a 2023 documentary about one missionary in South Asia who got himself killed by being an idiot. You might know this story already: American evangelical goes to North Sentinel Island, home to a tribe who have been aggressively isolated for all of recorded history, to tell them about Jesus and they kill him. The end. It's a decent documentary, and worth watching, but be forewarned that you're going to have to listen to a decent amount of evangelical horseshit to get through it.