Quote from: DJChameleon on May 22, 2023, 11:46 PMOh yeah I see the review now. I'm sad you don't like The Conjuring series. Or maybe it was just The Conjuring 3? Which yeah I get. I don't know what they were doing with that one.

Yeah, it's pretty much as you describe it. I really liked the first one. The second one was good too. What the hell was up with the third one?

I also like the casting, particularly Vera Farmiga.. but I wish they wouldn't idolize the Warrens. Considering they're basically scam artists (imo), that bit is a little embarrassing. What was James Wan thinking?

Happiness is a warm manatee

The main thing that I love the Conjuring series is that it hits on all of the elements of horror stories. Creepy kids check? Creepy old people check? Demonic Possession check? Creepy dolls check?

The only thing it is kind of missing is serial killers/some type of slasher element.

I was this cool the whole time.

I think I saw the first Conjuring movie and it had literally one scare in the entire movie. Also, it's supposed to take place in New England but was clearly shot in the southeast somewhere. Anyway, I was underwhelmed and I've never seen any of the sequels.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Some of the extended universe around The Conjuring isn't worth it. I will admit but I love The Nun. I feel like it's the best spin off. Outside of jump scares demonic Possessions in movies give me the willies and creep me out. I was raised Christian and went to church every Sunday so it taps into that fear for me.

I haven't seen The Nun and not the first Annabelle either.. But I avoid most of the horror movies that seem like they might be more run-of-the-mill, formulaic or just cash grabs.

It's not hard to persuade me to watch any horror, though, so I might watch it just based on your post :)

I'm also wondering whether or not I should see X. Plus I got a bunch to go through from the horror recommendation thread, among them Poughkeepsie Tapes and Dust Devil.

Poughkeepsie Tapes is found footage if I remember correctly. After REC and the first Paranormal Activity. I checked out of the found footage genre. I'm not really a fan of it tbh.

I've also heard X is great and I missed out on watching it.

The last movie I saw was Fast X but I need to re-watch it in theaters.

Not a movie but it's the latest movie-related video I've seen...

In Living Color : Men On Films

I hadn't seen it since it was originally shown on TV but it's still just as funny all these years later.

I loved In Living Color.

I finally got around to watching Missing because it's on Netflix.

It was so much better than I thought it was going to be and it had me guessing until the end. I didn't see the twist coming at all whatsoever.

Frownland made it seem like the twist was so predictable but I disagree.

My favorite In Living Color bits were when Jim Carrey roasted white rappers. Everyone knows and loves his Vanilla Ice parody, but if you remember Snow, and/or his classic hit single Informer, I think this sketch is even funnier.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

"i should paint my face and start belting out mammy" 😂

"I rap in your song to the best of my ability, you need a black man to increase your credibility"

So many great lines, haha.

Best line to me is "Time Warner kicked Ice T off the label for dissing the cops they said if just ain't right.

But when a Caucasian man records a cop hating song they don't have a problem it must be an oversight."

I remember that parody when it first came out but appreciate it so much more as an adult to understand certain references.

Ratatoing (2007)

We're taking a break from terrible Hollywood movies to watch some knockoff mockbuster crapola. This "movie" was made to trick children and clueless grandparents into thinking they're buying the Pixar film Ratatouille.

Honestly this movie is a special breed of terrible that is like audiovisual crack for me specifically. It looks like it was animated on Windows '98, the dialogue is so stilted it literally sounds like it was written by ChatGPT or something, and the transitions between lines and scenes are the cinematic equivalent of a five year old rambling stuff like "and then this happened and then this happened and then this happened". It took about fourteen minutes before Mr. Waffles declared that he was not high enough to be watching this, and for the first time in years I actually had a bit of a craving to get high with him. I didn't, but we still had a blast. An absolute masterpiece of unintentional hilarity.

The whole thing is on Youtube if you want to experience the magic for yourself.

^Holy crap, Lex 😅 not sure I could stomach sitting through that one.

I assume you guys are huge MST3K fans?

I saw this today:

It was recommended to me by Trollheart who clearly thinks highly of it.

I don't want to spoil it, but maybe there's some ritualistic serial killings and demon stuff happening. I liked it a lot! It's a sorta horror movie (occasionally gory, but not scary) and very early 90s in style and themes, including magic and big duster jackets and otherworldly visuals. It also reminds me slightly of Clive Barker and maybe stuff like Near Dark or Hellblazer and Preacher. It's got some very wooden performances, but also some rather good ones and in the end it's all fun.

It was directed by Richard Stanley who I mostly know as the director who tried and failed at directing the 90s remake of The Island of Dr. Moreau starring the impossible divas Val Kilmer and Marlon Brando. I remember seeing the documentary about it and how Stanley infiltrated his own movie set disguised as an animal person after he got fired from the directing gig, etc. It's the stuff of legends and I've been meaning to watch some of his movies for years now, so that was a nice coincidence.

:3.5stars:

Also cool to see a movie filmed in Namibia. Thanks for the rec, @Trollheart !

I'm a big MST3K fan, yeah. I actually don't think the mister is that familiar, as strange as that may sound. He knows what it is of course, but our tradition of heckling bad movies kind of developed independently of the MST3K influence.

He's always been skilled at improv; I like blurting out jokes and he's insanely good at playing off them. I'm better at coming up with puns than him though. If there were a way to circumvent copyright I think it would be hilarious if we filmed some of our bad movie roast sessions, haha.