I imagine a movie about a guy who gets fed up with his wife farting in bed.

This is not in any way inspired by any of my real life experiences, no siree.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

pig

first worthwhile film i've seen in a minute

it's superb

The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue (1998)

Our weird 90s Don Bluth movie marathon continues, though this is technically not a Bluth film as he wisely had no involvement in it other than directing the original 1982 film. I didn't grow up with either film, I first watched the original around 2008 in college and I had never seen the sequel until now.

I have to say, as asinine as most of this film is, the big climactic plot twist is so ridiculously unhinged and batshit that Mr. Waffles and I were absolutely rolling with laughter and embracing the chaotic energy. The fact that this is a Secret of NIMH movie that features an Eric Idle musical number is so utterly bonkers that it made us absolutely lose it. A definite highlight of the Bluthathon thus far.

Air Patrol (1962)

B&W crime thriller about the theft of a valuable painting from a high-rise building in Los Angeles, California. A police helicopter pilot is brought into the investigation to help solve the case.

:3stars:

Lucky Number Slevin. I love this movie. It has a great ensemble cast but my wife didn't like the violence in it and was on Tiktok for the entire movie after seeing a few scenes. I've seen it before and was re-watching it to share the cool plot with her but she wasn't having it. When I was younger I loved the movie and have seen it numerous times. I always thought Lucy Lui was too hot for Josh Harnett.

I was this cool the whole time.

^I liked Lucky Number Slevin, though I haven't seen it since it was relatively fresh 🙂

I saw this weird thing:

It's Sam Raimi's second professional movie and an early stain on his career, though the fault does not seem to be his alone.

A quote from him:

"I can't look at it. It's so painful. The experience was just awful. Bruce Campbell was supposed to star. A month, two months before, the studio said, "No, he's not starring in it." My composer was removed – Joe LoDuca, who did the Evil Dead movies. They didn't let me do a director's cut. They fired my editor about two weeks in, after we'd done shooting, and they brought the film out of Detroit to Los Angeles. They had their own editor cut it, they had their own components. It was just a mess."

It's a really weird movie, quite dark with some film noir suspense, but also very cartoonish, goofy and over the top. In particular, it features a couple of bad guys who are sinister, but also get involved in various Stooges-style physical comedy.

The lead character lacks agency with most of the movie just being things beyond his control happening to him, so the story feels kinda random and not very satisfying.

Still, it's so zany and weird, the spectacle of it ends up being somewhat entertaining. Also, one of the Coen brothers had a hand in writing this.

I'd only recommend this to fans of Raimi or the very unusual (like me) who might wanna watch this just to sate their curiosity.

:2.5stars:

Happiness is a warm manatee

I saw the spanish movie Piggy

It's a drama / horror about a young, obese spanish girl who gets bullied by her peers. While out swimming and suffering some particularly bad bullying, she also catches the attention of a serial killer.

I won't spoil any more in case any of you want to watch it. It's not quite as B-movie as it might sound as it's reasonably ambitious in its storytelling and drama elements. By and large, it succeeds which I assume is why the movie has made enough of a splash so that it grabbed my attention.

It's not great or anything, but enjoyable enough from start to finish and performances are okay with the best chops coming from Laura Galan who plays the overweight protagonist.

I also rewatched Evil Dead 2 (Dead by Dawn). I rewatch the original Evil Dead trilogy every now and then. It's like comfort viewing for me. The first movie is more sinister and scary, but I love the goofs and creativity that went into this one. The best scenes are in the first half with Bruce just going slightly mad in the cabin and playing against himself (or his reflection, or his hand or the invisible evil spirits).

A lot of the effects are rubbery and weird, but it's always still a good time.

:4stars:

#293 May 19, 2023, 10:42 AM Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 10:50 AM by Guybrush
Saw Roman Polanski's Repulsion which has been on my to-do list for ages and ages.

I have actually seen a little bit of it before and it seemed a little dull, which is why it took me so long to finally take the plunge.

It has a beautiful lead in Catherine Deneuve who plays the demure and troubled Carol. It has some nice shots, cool surreal scenes and some very effective jump scares. The surreal and spooky scenes were easily the most enjoyable for me.

As a drama, I found it a bit too slow and frustrating. Carol is the sort of character you kinda wish would stand up for herself, take back some agency or just be a more active participant in her own life. Of course there's a reason she doesn't do this. She has her issues. This apathy of the protagonist may be realistic for a character who seems to disassociate a lot due to past trauma, but to me it doesn't make for engaging viewing in a movie where that character is alone on the screen for most of its runtime. Her inability to deal with any of her problems or for anyone else to recognize them instead becomes the tiniest bit frustrating.

Still, it's got a lot going for it and it makes sense a lot of people will love this. I just found it a bit too dull overall.

I watched that movie a while back because I heard such great things about it and I too was extremely underwhelmed.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on May 19, 2023, 12:04 PMI watched that movie a while back because I heard such great things about it and I too was extremely underwhelmed.

Glad it's not just me 🙂

I saw this Antman movie because I noticed it was on Disney+.

Though saw is perhaps generous term as I fell asleep about half an our in or so and missed just about everything except the big climax.

It seemed like fairly glossy production super hero fare. It didn't seem as interesting as the latest Dr. Strange movie (which was the previous one I saw).

I will say, though.. that Michelle Pfeiffer, still looking good. She's a GILF! Gotta have somee real good genes or something.

After (2019), After We Collided (2020), After We Fell (2021)

Oh yeah, it's time for Bad Movies with Mrs. Waffles again.

Our usual preferred flavor of awful movie is failed comedies and mindless kids' movies, but we got turned onto this romantic drama series by some homies elsewhere on the net. Apparently these movies are based on a fanfiction about the band One Direction, but with all the names changed. Kinda like how 50 Shades of Gray was originally a Twilight fanfic.

These movies are absolutely vapid crap, but they make surprisingly fun vehicles for our commentary. The main male romantic lead is this brooding emo boy who never wears anything but black, the sex scenes involving him are completely devoid of any sensuality or positive energy, and we had fun watching them. We finished the third (of five apparently) the other day and it was less fun than the first two as they are starting to get repetitive. Poor Mr. Waffles ran out of funny things to say after the halfway point of the movie and got zonked out on rumchata and fireball after about two thirds of the way in. I don't know if I should envy him for not having to watch the rest or not.

Anyway, still not sure if we're gonna finish the series, we only have one more and the last one comes out in September, so maybe we might as well? But yeah this is some absolute schlock and it was a fun experiment.

Quote from: Guybrush on May 17, 2023, 10:17 PM

I also rewatched Evil Dead 2 (Dead by Dawn). I rewatch the original Evil Dead trilogy every now and then. It's like comfort viewing for me. The first movie is more sinister and scary, but I love the goofs and creativity that went into this one. The best scenes are in the first half with Bruce just going slightly mad in the cabin and playing against himself (or his reflection, or his hand or the invisible evil spirits).

A lot of the effects are rubbery and weird, but it's always still a good time.

:4stars:

I love the Evil Dead franchise. Have yoy seen Evil Dead Rise? The newest installment.

Quote from: DJChameleon on May 22, 2023, 07:48 PMI love the Evil Dead franchise. Have yoy seen Evil Dead Rise? The newest installment.

Sure! I gave a little review here in this thread somewhere and proclaimed Evil Dead to be the only consistently good horror franchise 🙂

Quote from: Guybrush on May 22, 2023, 11:19 PMSure! I gave a little review here in this thread somewhere and proclaimed Evil Dead to be the only consistently good horror franchise 🙂

Oh yeah I see the review now. I'm sad you don't like The Conjuring series. Or maybe it was just The Conjuring 3? Which yeah I get. I don't know what they were doing with that one.