Quote from: Rubber Soul on Mar 07, 2023, 04:41 PMI've seen the 1930 film and yes, it's chilling. It was very good at depicting the horrors of war and not just by 1930 standards
Have you seen the new one?

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Not yet but I don't know how they can top the first.

The Word has spoken :D

There are a couple other screen adaptations, right? It would be interesting to compare them.

Dimension 5 (1966)

An odd combination of sci-fi/drama/comedy/thriller and spy flick. A case of too many genres spoiling the plot. I know a film is bad when I find myself paying more attention to the hairstyles, clothing, interior fashions, cars and technology of the time than the story itself. A ridiculous mess of a movie which might have been better if there had been more focus on a particular genre than trying to send the story bouncing off into too many different directions. Not much about this one stood out to me except that the main character was named "Justin Power" which made me think of the "Austin Powers" spy film spoof series from the late 1990's and early 2000's. Other than that, the only other things that stood out to me were during the closing credits when I noticed the names of two of the characters in the movie listed as "Negro Agent" and "Sinister Oriental."

:1.5stars:

The Flesh Eaters (1964)

Another low-budget sci-fi/horror flick featuring a mad scientist with a German accent and a Nazi connection. The personal assistant to a famous hard-drinking actress, hires a float plane pilot to fly her and the actress from New York City to Provincetown, Massachusetts, ahead of a severe storm which is moving rapidly up the East Coast. Engine trouble develops during the flight and they are forced to land in the water surrounding an island which they assume to be uninhabited but soon discover a marine biologist is living there in isolation and conducting experiments of some kind. This one falls into the "so bad it's almost good" category and I have to admit that I thought some of the scenes were hilariously bad and as ridiculous as it gets but they had me laughing out loud on several occasions, so it wasn't a total waste of my viewing time.

:2stars: 

I wonder what the free instant blood was all about.

Quote from: Janszoon on Mar 08, 2023, 10:37 PMI wonder what the free instant blood was all about.

You'll have to watch the movie to find out the connection. I wonder if "instant blood" is some powdered concoction that you just add warm water to like instant coffee?

And I've heard of being paralyzed with fear but I've never heard of being sterilized with fear.

That looks like a really good example of when the term "exploitation" might be applied to describe a movie. Talk about leaning hard into sensational luridness :laughing:

Happiness is a warm manatee

#158 Mar 09, 2023, 11:38 PM Last Edit: Mar 09, 2023, 11:40 PM by Guybrush
I saw Repo Man today which is one of those movies which has been on my to-do list for ages. I didn't actually like it much as it felt uneven in pacing and often dragging. You probably have to dig the vibe with this one, but I don't quite jibe with it.

It has some funny, edgy characters, but it also isn't quite zany enough so I kinda think it would've been more fun had it been made by Troma :laughing:

Haha, Repo Man is one of my all time favorite movies, but it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea!

Quote from: Janszoon on Mar 10, 2023, 02:04 AMHaha, Repo Man is one of my all time favorite movies, but it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea!

It's weird because I can easily imagine it as a Troma film :laughing: The murderous punks would fit right in, other characters as well. You'd have a lot more senseless violence of course and that radiation would instead turn people into melting piles of goo.

And you'd have this car scene in it:

I can't say I agree. The Robby Müller cinematography alone makes Repo Man a very different animal from Troma movies, not to mention the overall sensibility.

Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 09, 2023, 11:38 PMI saw Repo Man today which is one of those movies which has been on my to-do list for ages. I didn't actually like it much as it felt uneven in pacing and often dragging. You probably have to dig the vibe with this one, but I don't quite jibe with it.

It has some funny, edgy characters, but it also isn't quite zany enough so I kinda think it would've been more fun had it been made by Troma :laughing:

I saw Repo Man back when it was first released in the mid 80's. It quickly became one of my all-time favorite films even before the ending and if I was to compile a list of top 10 movies from the 80's, it would definitely be on it. I don't think I've re-watched it in at least 15 or 20 years but I'd probably still enjoy it to this day. Maybe seeing it as a 20-something in the mid 80's, who was already listening to most of the bands on the soundtrack and was the same age as Emilio Estevez was at that time, has a lot to do with my appreciation of it, though. 

Lady in Cement (1968)

The English language posters I found, didn't look interesting enough so I thought I'd go with the one above. Not sure which country it's from. Maybe Japanese? Anyway, the film is a crime thriller with a lot of comic relief sprinkled throughout and features Frank Sinatra, Raquel Welch, Richard Conte, and Dan Blocker. A Miami detective is diving off the coast of Florida and discovers the nude body of a young woman with her feet encased in cement, resting on the bottom of the ocean floor. He reports the body to the police and not long after returning to land, gets hired to find a missing woman who he suspects is actually the dead woman he found and who's identity is not yet known. Unfortunately, Raquel Welch's acting abilities left a lot to be desired and the scenes she was in were rather lackluster as a result. The rest of the cast did a decent job, though, and I thought the film was fairly entertaining.

:3stars:

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Mar 10, 2023, 12:37 PMI saw Repo Man back when it was first released in the mid 80's. It quickly became one of my all-time favorite films even before the ending and if I was to compile a list of top 10 movies from the 80's, it would definitely be on it. I don't think I've re-watched it in at least 15 or 20 years but I'd probably still enjoy it to this day. Maybe seeing it as a 20-something in the mid 80's, who was already listening to most of the bands on the soundtrack and was the same age as Emilio Estevez was at that time, has a lot to do with my appreciation of it, though. 
I didn't see it until maybe 1990, but maybe I was still within the window of time one had to be in to fully appreciate it. I still think it's great.