Quote from: SGR on Jun 18, 2024, 09:56 PMWoah, the Elden Ring DLC is dropping this Friday? I know what I'm gonna be playing... :laughing:

I just started a new character last night (my 4th so far) to get a nice refresher even tho i already love every single thing about this game. Doing a samurai build. So excited for the DLC.

Quote from: Key on Jun 18, 2024, 10:30 PMI just started a new character last night (my 4th so far) to get a nice refresher even tho i already love every single thing about this game. Doing a samurai build. So excited for the DLC.

I'll be honest, I only ever did one character. I've done multiple runs in other Souls games, but the thing for me about open-world games is, a key part of the experience is the exploration and the 'discovery'. After you do this for the first time, it loses its luster the next time - and moreso the more times you do it. In essence, it becomes a little less replayable when its a giant open world game. It's almost daunting thinking about doing it all over again. I suppose after enough time passes, and my memories of it fade, it would feel close to the excitement and elation of that original experience.

My favorite Souls game, oddly enough, is Dark Souls II (Elden Ring and DS2 are the only ones I bothered 100% completing). Elden Ring to me felt like the closest FromSoft game in terms of a spiritual successor to the philosophy of that game. I love 'em both and I'm mad excited to get new content. My work productivitiy was suffering after Elden Ring came out because of how late I'd stay up to play it. It was so captivating I'd lose track of time.  :laughing:

Quote from: Key on Jun 18, 2024, 10:30 PMI just started a new character last night (my 4th so far) to get a nice refresher even tho i already love every single thing about this game. Doing a samurai build. So excited for the DLC.

Forgive me if I've asked this before Key, but have you ever played either of the Nioh games?

Quote from: SGR on Jun 18, 2024, 11:01 PMI'll be honest, I only ever did one character. I've done multiple runs in other Souls games, but the thing for me about open-world games is, a key part of the experience is the exploration and the 'discovery'. After you do this for the first time, it loses its luster the next time - and moreso the more times you do it. In essence, it becomes a little less replayable when its a giant open world game. It's almost daunting thinking about doing it all over again. I suppose after enough time passes, and my memories of it fade, it would feel close to the excitement and elation of that original experience.

My favorite Souls game, oddly enough, is Dark Souls II (Elden Ring and DS2 are the only ones I bothered 100% completing). Elden Ring to me felt like the closest FromSoft game in terms of a spiritual successor to the philosophy of that game. I love 'em both and I'm mad excited to get new content. My work productivitiy was suffering after Elden Ring came out because of how late I'd stay up to play it. It was so captivating I'd lose track of time.  :laughing:

I completely understand this perspective and it's why I get a little sad when I finish some open world games because I know that if I try to jump in again, that initial excitement is either not there or it's more shallow in a way. Somehow tho Elden Ring continues to pull me back in and I think it's just the variety of classes there are that allows for some different styles of gameplay and I don't mind going through this particular world again and again because it is so captivating and so interesting that I just find myself in awe many times over with just how beautiful the game is. I usually am in the same boat with you but Elden Ring is such a one of a kind game where I can jump in again and again and the experience feels rich every time.

As for your other question, I have play both Nioh 1 and 2 and absolutely loved them but if I were to say which souls like that isn't FromSoftware is my favorite, it'd go to Lies of P. I had a blast playing through that game and to me it is the closest a souls like has gotten to be nearly on par with FromSoftware souls likes. The theme is perfect and the gameplay just feels so so so good.

Quote from: Key on Jun 19, 2024, 03:20 AMI completely understand this perspective and it's why I get a little sad when I finish some open world games because I know that if I try to jump in again, that initial excitement is either not there or it's more shallow in a way. Somehow tho Elden Ring continues to pull me back in and I think it's just the variety of classes there are that allows for some different styles of gameplay and I don't mind going through this particular world again and again because it is so captivating and so interesting that I just find myself in awe many times over with just how beautiful the game is. I usually am in the same boat with you but Elden Ring is such a one of a kind game where I can jump in again and again and the experience feels rich every time.

Totally fair, and I get that! It is, fundamentally, an excellent video game.

Quote from: Key on Jun 19, 2024, 03:20 AMAs for your other question, I have play both Nioh 1 and 2 and absolutely loved them but if I were to say which souls like that isn't FromSoftware is my favorite, it'd go to Lies of P. I had a blast playing through that game and to me it is the closest a souls like has gotten to be nearly on par with FromSoftware souls likes. The theme is perfect and the gameplay just feels so so so good.

Lies of P better than Nioh 2?!?

I think I've said this before, but I'm a bit of a Team Ninja stan. I cut my teeth on Ninja Gaiden: Black and Ninja Gaiden II growing up. I still firmly believe that those games, on their harder difficulties, are more of a challenge than any Souls game is. Those games literally fucking hated you, especially NGII, where the game wasn't even fair. You could have hundreds of missiles launched at your ass off-screen and your only recourse was to 'git gud' (or 'git lucky').

Despite those shortcomings, Team Ninja designed the most fun and engaging character action game in the business. God of War, Bayonetta, and yes, even Devil May Cry, lingers in Ninja Gaiden's shadow. Team Ninja fundamentally understands what makes for great action combat and this was plainly evident in Nioh, which in its combat was a mixture of Souls/Ninja Gaiden and in its loot was the soul of Diablo. I personally think Nioh 2 is the best of the genre. There's nothing else like it for me, it legit helped me maintain my sanity during COVID (while also occasionally helping me lose my sanity depending on the boss).

I do think Souls games combat can be improved fundamentally. At its base level, it's too clunky and slow - and even different games from the same studio (Bloodborne/Sekiro) proved this to be true. Dark Souls 3 tried to remedy the speed, but it ended up feeling like, instead of straight molasses, melted molasses poured quickly through a funnel.

What FromSoft games do excel in, even better than Nioh (but which I value less personally) is world-building and atmosphere. Lies of P hits similar notes.

What I'll ask though @Key, and this is embarassing to admit, but about a year ago (or so), I gave up on Lies of P when I got to the Green Monster of the Swamp. I was getting thrashed by this boss completely. Eventually, I looked it up and found out that I was getting completely trounced in its first phase and it had yet another phase I'd yet to see which just demoralized me. Any tips, tricks (or cheese) would be appreciated. It's been so long I feel like I'd have a tough time settling back into the combat mechanics.

I have been aware of the Elden Ring DLC june launch for a long time and will definitely pick it up, but I will wait until I'm done with jedi Survivor as I'm having a blast with that ATM 🙂

Talking of staying up late and missing sleep, I played Survivor until 00:30 in the morning last night 😅 Not good! Ah well.

My guess is it's gonna be august before I pick up Elden Ring again, what with all that summer coming up.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: SGR on Jun 19, 2024, 05:30 AMTotally fair, and I get that! It is, fundamentally, an excellent video game.

Lies of P better than Nioh 2?!?

I think I've said this before, but I'm a bit of a Team Ninja stan. I cut my teeth on Ninja Gaiden: Black and Ninja Gaiden II growing up. I still firmly believe that those games, on their harder difficulties, are more of a challenge than any Souls game is. Those games literally fucking hated you, especially NGII, where the game wasn't even fair. You could have hundreds of missiles launched at your ass off-screen and your only recourse was to 'git gud' (or 'git lucky').

Despite those shortcomings, Team Ninja designed the most fun and engaging character action game in the business. God of War, Bayonetta, and yes, even Devil May Cry, lingers in Ninja Gaiden's shadow. Team Ninja fundamentally understands what makes for great action combat and this was plainly evident in Nioh, which in its combat was a mixture of Souls/Ninja Gaiden and in its loot was the soul of Diablo. I personally think Nioh 2 is the best of the genre. There's nothing else like it for me, it legit helped me maintain my sanity during COVID (while also occasionally helping me lose my sanity depending on the boss).

I do think Souls games combat can be improved fundamentally. At its base level, it's too clunky and slow - and even different games from the same studio (Bloodborne/Sekiro) proved this to be true. Dark Souls 3 tried to remedy the speed, but it ended up feeling like, instead of straight molasses, melted molasses poured quickly through a funnel.

What FromSoft games do excel in, even better than Nioh (but which I value less personally) is world-building and atmosphere. Lies of P hits similar notes.

What I'll ask though @Key, and this is embarassing to admit, but about a year ago (or so), I gave up on Lies of P when I got to the Green Monster of the Swamp. I was getting thrashed by this boss completely. Eventually, I looked it up and found out that I was getting completely trounced in its first phase and it had yet another phase I'd yet to see which just demoralized me. Any tips, tricks (or cheese) would be appreciated. It's been so long I feel like I'd have a tough time settling back into the combat mechanics.

Oh I said that with the most upmost respect for the quality of Nioh/Nioh 2. I think they are fantastic games and I genuinely enjoyed them a lot. The combat was amazing and the difficulty was just right for someone like me and I think they absolutely nailed the soulslike feel and I wholeheartedly would go back to them in a heartbeat. It's been a good while since I've played them but I have fond memories of the playthroughs I had of them and find them both to be spectacular additions to the soulslike genre. I mentioned Lies of P solely for what you said, the world building and the theme. I just have a soft spot for puppet style/ gothic themes in games like this because I'm a huge fan  of Bloodborne and since I don't see myself ever getting another Playstation, I just have to take what I can get that gets close to that itch and Lies of P nailed that for me. I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other but for what I wanted out of a soulslike game, Lies of P just matched what I wanted a little more than Nioh, but both are spectacularly quality games that I think anyone should try. I also don't have many tips for fighting the bosses in these games as I tend to just hope I get lucky and get the right dodges and just unleash hell on them. There are so many people out there that are better at these games than I am but I genuinely do my best and Lies of P just allowed me to have more success in that regard.

I will be honest tho, Elden Ring was actually the first game in the genre that I actually felt I was getting good at the soulslike style of gameplay, with being able to take down the bosses and figuring out how to dodge roll at the right times and learning the mechanics to add to my advantage. I've never been the greatest at these games in general but I definitely always try and sometimes I succeed and a lot of times I fail. Lies of P was kind of the same way where I actually felt like I "got it" and was able to progress through it pretty well. Granted, the bosses are still pretty tough but as any soulslike player knows, just try and try and...try...and try again. That's honestly the best advice I've got. It certainly helped me lol. My younger brother is actually far better at these games than I am but I enjoy them more for the atmosphere and the overlaying theme and world building and while the combat does take some trial and error, I will either keep moving forward in these games or I'll admit defeat and put them down for a while before finishing them. But on that same note, I don't think I've ever played a game in a different genre that gives even close to the same amount of satisfaction and feeling of victory when you prevail than a soulslike which is one of the main reasons I love the games in this genre above all else. Because it takes your own skill and perseverance into consideration and you really have to put your best foot forward with these games to truly prevail.

Did anyone catch the Nintendo Direct from yesterday?

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Jun 19, 2024, 12:41 PMDid anyone catch the Nintendo Direct from yesterday?

I did. Seemed a little lackluster to me tho a lot of interesting looking RPG's. Wasn't expecting anything big but the Zelda game looks neat.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Jun 19, 2024, 12:41 PMDid anyone catch the Nintendo Direct from yesterday?

I didn't but my younger brother was texting me about it.

METROID PRIME 4 BABY! AT LONG LAST!!

Welp, my husband is working from home now, right when the Elden Ring DLC is coming out. I think I might just have to figure out how to get a butt dent out of a couch...  :laughing:

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Jun 19, 2024, 09:21 PMWelp, my husband is working from home now, right when the Elden Ring DLC is coming out. I think I might just have to figure out how to get a butt dent out of a couch...  :laughing:

He picked a perfect time!  8)

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Jun 19, 2024, 09:21 PMWelp, my husband is working from home now, right when the Elden Ring DLC is coming out. I think I might just have to figure out how to get a butt dent out of a couch...  :laughing:

"Yeah sorry I won't be able to get any work done today."
"Why's that?"
"Well it all starts with the Erdtree..."
"Say no more, enjoy your day off."

My Time at Sandrock got put on gamepass so I'm gonna have to pause on Elden Ring for a while and put time into that. I played so much of My Time at Portia and I'm so fucking excited they put the sequel on gamepass

@Key you're gonna laugh man, but I started up Elden Ring after installing the DLC. I haven't kept up with all the details, but I quickly learned that you needed to go to Mohg's palace to start the DLC - no problem I thought, since I've 100% the base game. I load up my map and...half of my sites of grace are just gone. None in Mohg's palace, none in consecrated snowfield, none in Farum Azula. "What the fuck is going on?", I thought.

Okay, I spawned in Leyndell, I'll just run real quick to the consecrated snowfields and find the portal. The path was blocked by a boss seal. Well fuck, I thought.

Then it hit me - when I played through the original game, I missed a legendary weapon needed for a trophy - and it was missable. Meaning what I remembered is that I actually started NG+ and plowed my way all the way to Leyndell to get the stupid weapon for the trophy and that's where I left my game save.

So I had to do this convoluted quest involving invading three players and dipping a maiden's cloth in blood to receive an amulet that allowed me to transport to Mohg's Palace. Then I proceeded to make my way up to him, beat his ass (not without dying a couple times) and finally I can start the DLC.

Add to all of this that it's been a couple years since I've really played the game and had to remember how all the buttons and mechanics worked. Took me a whole lot of googling to put it lightly. But I'm now in the shadow realm!  :laughing: