Surprised to see we didn't have this thread yet. So here it is. What games are you playing right now? What do you like/dislike about them?

I recently picked up Pikmin 4. The last one came out my first year of college, 10 years ago, so it's been a hot minute. But 4 reminded me of why I fell in love with the series with Pikmin 2. Graphics are great, colors pop, the worlds are beautiful, and it's just a good time. First Switch game I've picked up in a long time.

Besides that, I've finally started dabbling in the Hitman series with the 2016 reboot. Like it a lot so far, though the loading times, specifically between saving/loading (which you do a lot if you play like me where you test strategies out and if they don't work, you reload a save). Really makes me wish there was a way to play the old Splinter Cell games on PS5 (that is the series that got me into stealth-action games). Oh well, guess I'll have to wait for the Splinter Cell remake. If you have a PS5, then I'd recommend you pick up MGSV if you're looking for great stealth-action. Mechanically, it's probably the greatest stealth-action game ever made (even though MGS2 will always be my favorite).

#1 Jul 30, 2023, 04:52 PM Last Edit: Jul 30, 2023, 07:28 PM by Lexi Darling
In a surprising turn of events, I actually played a video game recently! We both wanted to play the latest Pokemon game, Scarlet/Violet, and for once I was on the sticks for the whole playthrough. The mister likes Pokémon aesthetically, but he doesn't really get super deep into the mainline games like I do.

We played under the self-imposed Nuzlocke rule set, which means to play through the game while only being allowed to catch a limited number of Pokémon and every time one of those Pokémon faints, it is considered dead and cannot be used anymore. It's intended to make the game more challenging, but it also led to us getting attached to our Pokémon and not wanting to let the little guys die. In the end we won the challenge, with 12 total deaths. Their sacrifices shall not be forgotten.

Also the game has this doggo in it. His name is Greavard and I love him so much.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I don't think Ive played a Pokemon since Gen 4 or 5. It just got too samey for me. Still impressed how popular it remains though.

Quote from: SGR on Aug 06, 2023, 11:35 PMI don't think Ive played a Pokemon since Gen 4 or 5. It just got too samey for me. Still impressed how popular it remains though.

I skipped generations 5 and 6, played 7 for just a bit, and then got way heavily back into it for gen 8, which was my lockdown entertainment of choice, haha.

Mostly I just like the Pokémon themselves, and I like the mechanics of the mainline games more than Pokémon Go, which was Mr. Waffles's big obsession during the early days of our relationship. So because of that and both being card carrying 90s kids, we are definitely a bit of a Pokémon household.

I've been playing Loop Hero for a while, but recently stopped as I'm stuck on the last boss and what I need to do is basically grind a lot.

But I've unlocked everything and have seen all the gameplay the game has to offer AFAIK. Am I supposed to have to just repeat / grind the same sort of levels over and over again? I've become too jaded, I think.

I should find something else to justify my gamepass subscription.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Aug 06, 2023, 11:57 PMI skipped generations 5 and 6, played 7 for just a bit, and then got way heavily back into it for gen 8, which was my lockdown entertainment of choice, haha.

Mostly I just like the Pokémon themselves, and I like the mechanics of the mainline games more than Pokémon Go, which was Mr. Waffles's big obsession during the early days of our relationship. So because of that and both being card carrying 90s kids, we are definitely a bit of a Pokémon household.

I skipped over Generation 3 and 4 but played every single one after except the most recent one. Which is 10 I believe now?

I like both Pokeman mainline games and Pokemon Go. I still play actively to do this. I'm even going to Pokemon Go Fest in NYC in like two weeks.

I'm currently playing Mario and Rabbids Spark of Hope which I think is the sequel to the first game. A Mario style xcom game.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Aug 10, 2023, 06:03 PMI skipped over Generation 3 and 4 but played every single one after except the most recent one. Which is 10 I believe now?

I like both Pokeman mainline games and Pokemon Go. I still play actively to do this. I'm even going to Pokemon Go Fest in NYC in like two weeks.

I'm currently playing Mario and Rabbids Spark of Hope which I think is the sequel to the first game. A Mario style xcom game.

Ah nice! Yeah I take breaks from Pokemon for a while but I always come back at some point. I played Go during that summer of 2016 but I stopped after that. I remember I went to a music festival that summer and everyone was playing it.

The mister still played up until Covid hit, I always used to accompany him to local raid battles and have fond memories of driving past the local poke spots. I remember I had to sometimes remind him of type matchups, as he doesn't always keep all that information straight in his head. He stopped playing the main games after gen 1 or 2.

But it's funny because when we decided to start the new game, I asked him if he knew what a Nuzlocke was, and he didn't, and I explained it and he was immediately sold on the death thing, haha. The man tends to pendulum from being a wholesome teddy bear to wanting to watch the world burn.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Aug 10, 2023, 06:17 PMAh nice! Yeah I take breaks from Pokemon for a while but I always come back at some point. I played Go during that summer of 2016 but I stopped after that. I remember I went to a music festival that summer and everyone was playing it.

The mister still played up until Covid hit, I always used to accompany him to local raid battles and have fond memories of driving past the local poke spots. I remember I had to sometimes remind him of type matchups, as he doesn't always keep all that information straight in his head. He stopped playing the main games after gen 1 or 2.

But it's funny because when we decided to start the new game, I asked him if he knew what a Nuzlocke was, and he didn't, and I explained it and he was immediately sold on the death thing, haha. The man tends to pendulum from being a wholesome teddy bear to wanting to watch the world burn.

I don't think I could ever play Nuzlocke mode. The way that I always play is the first 5 pokemon I catch plus my starter is my crew for the whole game regardless of their types. So I usually end up with a team full of normals lol but I make them work and they become my dream team to finish up the game.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Aug 11, 2023, 01:11 AMI don't think I could ever play Nuzlocke mode. The way that I always play is the first 5 pokemon I catch plus my starter is my crew for the whole game regardless of their types. So I usually end up with a team full of normals lol but I make them work and they become my dream team to finish up the game.

Ah I like that idea, kind of makes it its own challenge since the early game pokemon tend to have lower stats and, yeah less type diversity.

I've done a couple Nuzlockes in the past and honestly I've never lost one under the standard rules. The real challenge is when you start stacking more rules, like no items, level cap of the next gym leader's highest level, etc. Those can get absolutely brutal, haha.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Aug 11, 2023, 01:56 AMAh I like that idea, kind of makes it its own challenge since the early game pokemon tend to have lower stats and, yeah less type diversity.

I've done a couple Nuzlockes in the past and honestly I've never lost one under the standard rules. The real challenge is when you start stacking more rules, like no items, level cap of the next gym leader's highest level, etc. Those can get absolutely brutal, haha.

The thing with normal types is that they are usually versatile with learning moves. So if I need a specific type for a gym I just TM it in. When I get to a fighting gym it is usually rough though. I tend to grind and over level fighting gyms so I stand a chance.

I recently bought an old Game Cube and I'm playing Animal crossing and Super Monkey Ball. I'm not all that much on playing console games, but I decided I hate using Wiimotes, so I wanted a regular controller for a change. Much better. I have been playing The Sims on computer since it first came out though. I've wasted a lot of my life on it.

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."

Quote from: MonaSomona on Aug 29, 2023, 11:45 AMI recently bought an old Game Cube and I'm playing Animal crossing and Super Monkey Ball. I'm not all that much on playing console games, but I decided I hate using Wiimotes, so I wanted a regular controller for a change. Much better. I have been playing The Sims on computer since it first came out though. I've wasted a lot of my life on it.

Monkey Ball is awesome. Monkey Ball 2 is even better.

I haven't played either of those.

I'm playing a 2019 remake / reskin of A Bard's Tale, that old RPG from the 80s. It's grindy, repetitive, but also kinda fun.

Happiness is a warm manatee

I'm playing Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope. I guess it's a sequel to the first game. Idk I didn't play the first one either. I'm enjoying this so far though.

Quote from: SGR on Aug 29, 2023, 05:15 PMMonkey Ball is awesome. Monkey Ball 2 is even better.

More Monkey.

More ball.

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."