I like the analysis from Henry and Del Piero: Pep's City are no longer at the PSG stage of things, i.e. buying up the best players and expecting them to win. Now they have a togetherness, an identity, an ethos of sacrifice for the team, the ability to make the right decision at the right time because they see the big picture etc. It helps when you have world class talent in every position and a bench that could win any league in the world but it's not enough.

https://lvturbo.com/fvtoblg1u95t.html

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 12, 2023, 05:02 AMJust like English/Irish. Changes people's minds in an instant. Said that before. Still true though.

Every time I've met foreigners and they find out I'm English they want to talk to me about football and the Premier League. The only people who have noticeably been dicks have been Scots.

People do seem to like the Irish but I think that's because they see Irishness as a bit of a gimmick.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jadis on Apr 12, 2023, 01:34 PMI like the analysis from Henry and Del Piero: Pep's City are no longer at the PSG stage of things, i.e. buying up the best players and expecting them to win. Now they have a togetherness, an identity, an ethos of sacrifice for the team, the ability to make the right decision at the right time because they see the big picture etc. It helps when you have world class talent in every position and a bench that could win any league in the world but it's not enough.

https://lvturbo.com/fvtoblg1u95t.html

Something I found a bit irritating at 17:30 onward. Not gonna try to tone down the sexism because that's what it is but it's also valid imo.

Thierry Henry, an all time great of the game, says that the current handball law is stupid and we need adapt the laws to the physical realities of the game where 1) you don't have the time to pull your hand out of the way when a ball is deflecting toward it off your head 2) your arms tend to fly and stretch all over the shop when you're jumping in the air, it's their "natural position").

They then zoom in some dumb bitch from Florida, sitting in her room with her RBG merch, who patronizingly explains what the rule is. We know what the rule is, Carra has just clarified it. Why are you in this conversation with Thierry Henry? Because you have a law degree from some college in Palm Beach and have refereed college soccerball? She tells THIERRY HENRY (who's sighing very loudly lol) that "there's no need for your arm to be this high when you're jumping". That's settled then, thank you very much.

Also she stresses that the crucial thing is that the hand is above the shoulder, though when Carra asks her what if it was at waste height. That would still be a penalty she says. So which is it, legal genius?

Let's quote her Linkedin a bit

QuoteHer proudest accomplishment however is being a mom to a fearless little girl. Christina resides in Sarasota, Florida with her husband, Ted, and daughter, Quinn.

QuoteOne of the most rewarding areas in her professional capacity is creating businesses that enable organizations, companies, and individuals to perform or develop high-performance mindsets aligned with purposeful impact. Founder of SPARQ Advocacy, Christina focuses on diversity, equity, inclusion, and access to work by means of the "athlete mindset". As co-owner of Scorch Fitness, and the Scorch On Demand and The Deadlift Effect mobile apps, Christina focuses on providing sports science and strength training to the everyday person to permit them to tap into their everyday athlete and burn off what holds them back in their personal and professional lives. Recently, Christina launched the 501(c)(3) nonprofit, Scorch Community, to provide athletic, education, and wellness initiatives to underserved teens in Sarasota.

QuoteConsulting and legal firm focused on athlete, coach, and sports organization representation in contract negotiations, licensing and endorsements, and business consultations. Special focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and access in the sports sector. Founding Owner speaking engagements available - previous work with Fox Sports, Verizon, Abby Wambach Wolfpack Endeavour, Voice + Visibility Summit, and Victoria's Secret/Bath & Body Works.

Note how the it doesn't specify what competitions she referred. Just "highest level"

Quote21 years of experience officiating soccer and eleven years at the highest professional and international levels refereeing the elite soccer athletes in the world.

Honorably selected by the US Soccer Federation to represent the US Soccer Federation at the highest international levels for 7 years.

Receive in-depth training to develop mental and physical skills and fitness to officiate at the highest level of the international game among the highest skilled professional athletes. The ultimate goal is to represent the US as an official at the World Cup and the Olympics.

haha Henry is raging, there is an amusing irony about Henry saying the handball rule is wrong though.

Keep these MOTD and other links coming BTW, where are you getting them from?

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 12, 2023, 02:50 PMhaha Henry is raging, there is an amusing irony about Henry saying the handball rule is wrong though.

Keep these MOTD and other links coming BTW, where are you getting them from?

True, Henry knows a thing or two about deliberate handballs. And about every other single thing about the game, like what it takes to win a World Cup or a European Championship or the Champions League or the Premier League or La Liga or the FA Cup or the English player of the year or the French player of the year etc etc... Even what it's like to coach a team full of retards in French Canada!   

This is the one thing reddit is good for https://www.reddit.com/r/footballhighlights/

The real pros weighing in with the smart stuff 

https://twitter.com/ManCityzenscom/status/1645722470052163590

@jimmy jazz : no it's because the Irish never fucked with anyone or tried to nick their country, whereas your lot, well, did. With just about everyone. The British Empire, yeah? Also, English have a reputation (deserved or not I don't know) for being arrogant, violent, racist and projecting the image that they still run the world. We never did, so everyone likes us more. Plus we're nicer. we don't got around with Union Jacks or bulldogs on our shirts, or tattooed on our arms.

As for Henry, well, we'll never forgive him for keeping us out of the World Cup with that deliberate handball that was never caught. Great player, but, you know, fuck him.

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 12, 2023, 03:41 PM@jimmy jazz : no it's because the Irish never fucked with anyone or tried to nick their country, whereas your lot, well, did. With just about everyone. The British Empire, yeah? Also, English have a reputation (deserved or not I don't know) for being arrogant, violent, racist and projecting the image that they still run the world. We never did, so everyone likes us more. Plus we're nicer. we don't got around with Union Jacks or bulldogs on our shirts, or tattooed on our arms.

As for Henry, well, we'll never forgive him for keeping us out of the World Cup with that deliberate handball that was never caught. Great player, but, you know, fuck him.

A load of generalisations there, the 'we're so great' tone of it is exactly the sort of thing you're accusing English people of being, and that last bit is just nonsense Trolls.

Irishness is definitely seen as a joke mate.

Only God knows.

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 12, 2023, 03:41 PM@jimmy jazz : no it's because the Irish never fucked with anyone or tried to nick their country, whereas your lot, well, did. With just about everyone. The British Empire, yeah? Also, English have a reputation (deserved or not I don't know) for being arrogant, violent, racist and projecting the image that they still run the world. We never did, so everyone likes us more. Plus we're nicer. we don't got around with Union Jacks or bulldogs on our shirts, or tattooed on our arms.

There's a reason Amsterdam is running an anti-tourism campaign targeting British men but not Irish.  ;)

Throw your dog the invisible bone.

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 12, 2023, 03:58 PM

There's a reason Amsterdam is running an anti-tourism campaign targeting British men but not Irish.  ;)
Irish people are exactly the same when they're abroad.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 12, 2023, 04:03 PMIrish people are exactly the same when they're abroad.

Amsterdam disagrees.

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 12, 2023, 04:22 PM
Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 12, 2023, 04:03 PMIrish people are exactly the same when they're abroad.

Amsterdam disagrees.

There will be loads more tourists from the UK than from Ireland though.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 12, 2023, 04:28 PM
Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 12, 2023, 04:22 PM

Amsterdam disagrees.

There will be loads more tourists from the UK than from Ireland though.

Not if Amsterdam has their way.

Lol
Amsterdam tourists are such a nuisance

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 12, 2023, 03:57 PM

A load of generalisations there, the 'we're so great' tone of it is exactly the sort of thing you're accusing English people of being, and that last bit is just nonsense Trolls.

Irishness is definitely seen as a joke mate.

Like I said, it's the perception. You see English soccer fans on tour, they're aggressive, they're eyeing everyone, they're pissed. The comparison between English and Irish soccer or rugby fans on tour is the difference between any two things that are very different. If Irish is a "joke", then why is it the people - hey! In Amsterdam, I just realised! - said to us in the pub "English? (because we were speaking English duh) and when we said "No, Irish," there was a huge cheer and everyone was happy? Cos we're a joke? Do me a favour, mate. Your people have got a rep for being loud and boorish and overbearing and violent, ours have a rep for being loud and cheerful and friendly and drunk, but how many Irish fans do you hear of who end up being deported/arrested/involved in fights? We go to have a good time, you go to show the world you're still boss. Deny it all you like; there's a reason why English fans constantly get banned from Europe, and you know it. Not saying you're one, but it's a fact that other than Russian and some Italian fans, ye're the only ones who seem to cause trouble, or at least, the only ones in the news. Certainly, as far as Irish and English is concerned, we have - what is it you Americans call it? - a 100 batting average? Or something.