Apr 02, 2023, 12:30 PM Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 08:00 AM by Guybrush
Because we need one.

Watched the City-Liverpool game yesterday, completely in awe of how good Grealish, Alvarez, De Bruyne and above all Gundogan were. I thought "damn this might be the best I've seen Gundogan in a City shirt" but apparently it's down to tactics: yesterday he played as a second playmaker alongside De Bruyne because Stones was the additional man in midfield, whereas usually Gundogan has to drop down deeper to help the holding midfielder and doesn't have the freedom to create as much. I love MOTD.

https://sbface.com/y4wgo0um03ec.html

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

The question on everyone's lips: where's Gary?

Villa did well yesterday; was quite surprised at how well they played. Liverpool were all over the place. They're really a team that seem to play well sometimes (beating Man United into a cocked hat recently) and then fold, like yesterday. The title race is exciting. No fan of Arsenal, but I guess it would be better not to have Man City win it again. Still, I've nothing against them. Be interesting to see how Newcastle fare against United today.

What about that goal by Brighton? Assist from the goalie and then a perfect lob. And the boys on MOTD didn't even mention it in the commentary! I had to go back to check but no, nothing. I like Mark but I miss Gary and I think it's sending mixed messages to say he's back, yet since the storm blew up I have not yet seen  him.

Yep "mixed messages" indeed. He said on Twitter he's on vacation - but even if you planned a vacation before everything that went on, why wouldn't you cancel those plans to avoid strange optics? And when you're on the kind of money he is, maybe vacations can be taken on all those Premier League-free weeks? Plenty of those in a year. And yes he's my favorite TV presenter by far. Not necessarily a fan of Chapman. He's okay, not great. 

The one substitute for Lineker who I'll accept as an upgrade is James Richardson, who I first heard on the Guardian football podcast and who's something of a cult figure from the 90s with Football Italia or whatever it was called. He's brilliant in a way Gary isn't. But there were rumors that James Cordon will succeed Lineker and that made me want join ISIS

Villa are playing really well under Emery. Wish he gave Coutinho more chances but team cohesion should always come before individual brilliance

I can see Lineker is a good presenter but I just don't like how sanctimonious and smarmy he is.

My favourite pundit is Roy Keane. Agree with him on nearly everything. I like Graeme Souness a lot as well.

As for MC, they're a cancer on the game and hopefully their time is coming.

Only God knows.

I can't stand Keane. I'd love to see someone like Alex (dammit I can't remember her surname: Arsenal striker?) or Gabby, or even maybe Shearer. But Lineker is still my favourite. I would have thought it would have been important to show that he was back in the saddle, and as you say, taking a holiday hardly seems important when you consider how it looks to the audience.

I pray nightly to the Great Horned Evil God of Nastiness for Palace to go down, but they seem to have an even more malevolent and powerful entity on their side. God I hate them. And Forest. Forest can fuck off. But it does look like they're (sorry) for the chop!  :laughing: I want to bash Steve Cooper's hooded-eyes face in. Sorry again. Must take my meds.

What's your problem with Forest? No reason to dislike them imo.

Only God knows.

Personal reasons, mate. Karen's ex was a rabid, rabid Forest fan and I hate the cunt, so I hate his team.
Reasonable, no?
Also hate Cooper's face.
And I have an issue with their complete non-observance of Hillsborough. Weren't they the other team? But do they even acknowledge the 96?
Nah. Fuck them.

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 02, 2023, 05:41 PMPersonal reasons, mate. Karen's ex was a rabid, rabid Forest fan and I hate the cunt, so I hate his team.
Reasonable, no?
Also hate Cooper's face.
And I have an issue with their complete non-observance of Hillsborough. Weren't they the other team? But do they even acknowledge the 96?
Nah. Fuck them.

97. And they do, but I accept your hate of them based on Karen's ex.

Only God knows.

Also, my thoughts on recent developments:

The Qatar World Cup based only on the football was pretty good. The final was the best I've seen in my lifetime and Messi's performance in the tournament almost brought me to tears at times. He dragged that team to the trophy as much as Diego was said to have done it in 1986 and seeing him lift it after 2014 was beautiful.

Unai Emery is the real deal, I knew this anyway but I didn't think he would turn things around this quickly. He is a proper football scientist and going from Gerrard to him is like going from Lizzo to Dua Lipa.

I actually didn't think Villa played that well yesterday, up to the second goal Chelsea had dominated and it wasn't nice to watch. The only reason they failed to score was because Martinez had a masterclass. When McGinn scored it all but killed the game and they were professional enough to see it out. Great result, anxious game imo.

Only God knows.

Hmm.I'll take your word for it on the 96/97, but I've never seen any commemorations at the City Ground or involving Forest. Certainly could be wrong.

As for Villa, I can't see how you think Chelsea dominated. They barely had a shot on goal and when they did they made a hash of it. Sure, Martinez was on form but it wasn't like his goal was under siege or anything. I think Villa controlled the game and killed it off with a stunning McGinn second, which left Chelsea staring at yet another defeat. And now Watkins has a record to add to the victory. Agree that Emery/Gerrard is like chalk and something else that is the complete opposite of chalk. I'm not so sure Stevie is actually up to managing even a mid-level Prem team; maybe he needs to rethink his options. It's not like Palace or Leeds were queuing up to sign him, were they? I think Potter is in big trouble; Chelsea won't allow those kind of performances to go unpunished.

First thing first, this is James Richardson. Imagine having someone like him as a football presenter... Could never happen on the beeb these days. Too smart, witty, urbane.

Lineker is very good in his own warm and straightforward way. Yes, he's got the footballer's brain (I first learned of his existence from Brass Eye, a very great British TV comedy where he was brutally pranked into endorsing a fake anti-pedophile charity) but hey no one's perfect.

Love Keano too. This is football, gotta be a nasty piece of work sometimes. Maybe even all the time if that's how you roll... When watching a real men's game, gotta be prepared for the dark reality of a man's psyche

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 02, 2023, 08:19 PMAs for Villa, I can't see how you think Chelsea dominated. They barely had a shot on goal and when they did they made a hash of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65073184

Just the 25 shots to Villa's 5?  :laughing:

Potter was a typical flavour of the month, Chelsea type hire. There was no reason to sack Tuchel. This Boehly guy they've got running the club hasn't got a clue what he's doing. Spent 550m in one season to drop about six places in the league.

Only God knows.

@jadis BrassEye was excellent! The Paedogeddon 'nonce special' is incredible. Such a great show. You couldn't get away with what they were doing now.

Only God knows.

New rule: making Trollheart look stupid gets you a permaban.  :laughing:  :laughing:

Quote from: jadis on Apr 02, 2023, 08:27 PMLove Keano too. This is football, gotta be a nasty piece of work sometimes. Maybe even all the time if that's how you roll... When watching a real men's game, gotta be prepared for the dark reality of a man's psyche

Jesus on the wing scoring after extra-time in a must-win match at 1-1! Keane looks like someone who would mug you and cut your throat for the few quid in your pocket! Damn I hate that guy. First of all for his association with Man U, second for his hissy fit at the World Cup in Saipan, third for being an ignorant Corkman.

Not that I'd say any of that to his face, of course.