Spain's top criminal court examines Luis Rubiales's actions, while football chief's mother goes on hunger strike to support him

I don't watch women's football but it's pretty (bitterly) ironic that the ultimate achievement in this sport is completely overshadowed by something of a sexual nature a man did to a woman. For all the obvious good that will come out of this...

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Aug 28, 2023, 12:16 PMEverton have played three, lost three and haven't scored a goal. Maybe this is the year they finally go. They have been so lucky to avoid it the last two seasons.

Glad Liverpool won cos I don't want them too far behind MC after Villa have beaten them on Sunday 8)
I reckon Sean Dyche will be the first manager to go this season. It doesn't seem to be working out for him at Everton.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 24, 2023, 10:29 PMWatch out for Cameron Archer.

I would describe him as the 2nd coming of Michael Owen.

He just guarantees goals.

💯

1 goal and a screamer off the post and in off Pickford in the first half of his debut for Sheffield United.

We have a buy back clause thank fuck.

Only God knows.

The Ballon d'Or nominees are out lads.

We all supporting Messi then?

Also Emiliano Martínez has made the list. Proud 🥹

Only God knows.

#410 Sep 08, 2023, 12:36 PM Last Edit: Sep 09, 2023, 03:50 PM by jimmy jazz Reason: Why tf did I write Uruguay? Baffled.
Argentina 1 - 0 Ecuador.

Another late winner. He's become a fucking monster at free kicks. He was never bad at them, but past five years or so he's making Beckham look like a Conference player 😯

Only God knows.

The dark sides of supporter culture seems so brutish. Stabbing and beating up people over soccer? Cray.

Are there American football hooligans or Pakistani cricket hooligans or is this a European soccer problem?

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Sep 20, 2023, 11:43 PMThe dark sides of supporter culture seems so brutish. Stabbing and beating up people over soccer? Cray.

Are there American football hooligans or Pakistani cricket hooligans or is this a European soccer problem?

I don't know much about cricket but you do get trouble when Pakistan play India. Ironically enough that happens here also, this is from Birmingham (I'm from there) - https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/what-led-ugly-scenes-violence-25060424

A third of this city is Islamic (mostly Pakistani so they have a big support here) and that has its roots in history and religion more than just a cricket match but you can say the same about Rangers vs Celtic up in Scotland. Rangers/Celtic is about a lot more than football (Catholicism/Protestantism/Northern Ireland, national identity etc) and the clubs make those tensions a lot worse.

I also have an interest in South American football, particularly Argentina. The violence there is pretty much as bad as it gets. A few years ago away fans were banned from the games because players were attacked with tear gas coming out of the tunnel. FIFA took a qualifying place from that confederation for the World Cup if I remember correctly. People get killed. The big one is Boca vs River, two huge clubs from Buenos Aires. They met in a cup final a few years back and the second leg had to be moved to Europe because of violence.

Eastern Europe and Italy are the two hotpots for fan violence imo.

I do highlight these incidents because I think England's reputation is unfair and based on decades old incidents which don't happen any more which is why I tend to bring it up, and also the popularity of English football. It's the most widely watched league in the world and anything English fans do gets blown massively out of proportion. Most people don't give a shit about Galatasaray vs Fenerbahce or what Eintracht Frankfurt have been getting up to but they know the Premier League or what trends online and think it's unique to us and I do get annoyed by it tbf.

Only God knows.

Thanks for your informative post, JJ 🙂

It isn't my impression that english hooligans are particularly bad, but that the bad eggs can be found anywhere. I was friendly with a guy from my old town that considered himself part of the casuals (?) subculture. I think they used to arrange fights with other teams' supporters.. though that's not nearly as bad as just jumping people, of course.

Yes mate the name of the subculture is casuals and there are loads of them here still, but it's more of a fashion thing than fighting these days. The clothing is very popular among football fans.

Only God knows.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the guy I was friendly with was also a nazi (!). I never spoke with him about that sort of stuff, but I know he loved nazi punk and I heard some stories later on.

This was around the turn of the century.

I'm not sure if that's also a common association with casuals culture. I hope not 😐

Na it's not. You get people from all over the political spectrum and not even into politics at all.

They do tend to like the same music though. Usually Oasis and Stone Roses. Two bands I can't stand tbh.

Only God knows.

@Trollheart you seen much of Villa recently? Doing really well now. Result at the weekend was incredible.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Sep 23, 2023, 12:28 PMNa it's not. You get people from all over the political spectrum and not even into politics at all.

They do tend to like the same music though. Usually Oasis and Stone Roses. Two bands I can't stand tbh.

Stone Roses have this legendary status, so I've given them a shot like twice, but.. didn't seem that interesting to me.

I was never really into Oasis. Having to pick between the two big, I'd go with Blur, but my britpop jam was Supergrass 😄