Mar 28, 2023, 01:21 AM Last Edit: Mar 29, 2023, 03:38 PM by Guybrush
Well sounds like a trans man was eager to participate in the most American sport of all, if you catch my drift... aka the most dangerous game...

Edit:

Admin's comment: This topic was split from the Trans Women in sports topic and relates to this incident: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/03/27/us/nashville-shooting-covenant-school

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Quote from: jadis on Mar 28, 2023, 01:21 AMWell sounds like a trans man was eager to participate in the most American sport of all, if you catch my drift... aka the most dangerous game...

Can you please not refer to trans as man? You may not realise it but it's very disrespectful. Trans is a fine descriptor all on its own. They do not want to be reminded, and anyway the original news clip said it was a woman, assuming you're talking about the shooting.

Haha, jadis reluctantly enters the discussion and immediately gets reprimanded on trans jargon by TH of all people. Hilarous.

Also, TH, I'm no expert but i don't think there's any reason why a trans man would object to being called a man.  You seem confused, my boomer friend.

Yeah pretty funny. I go out of my way to do an "offensive" post in the time honored fashion and he finds issue with me actually respecting the F to M shooter's pronouns. He also thought "queer" was a slur when like half the people in the humanities are doing queer theory and/or self-identifying as such

Yeah hilarious. Laugh at me. You're making an inappropriate comment which offends in two ways: one, by calling a trans a man (when they were clearly shown to have identified as a woman, though trans should be enough anyway) and while I admit I'm no expert on it, I'm not so sure, say, Mrs. Waffles would enjoy being referred to as a trans man, though I could be wrong there. But secondly, you refer to a shooting as an American sport, which for me is a little beyond the pale, certainly on the day it happened.

But no, you go ahead and laugh at the thick Irishman. Maybe that will make you feel better about yourself, or allow you to ignore your pretty crass comment.

#5 Mar 28, 2023, 01:58 PM Last Edit: Mar 28, 2023, 02:01 PM by Lady of Synth
I'm not totally sure on the shooter's identity based on my limited research, but if the shooter refers to himself with he/him pronouns as in that pic, then calling him a trans man would be correct. Trans man generally refers to a "female to male" trans person, while trans woman would be like me, "male to female".

Also, just to let you know, it's not proper to say "a trans". I would just say trans man, trans woman, or trans person if you are unsure of their gender.

Hope that clarifies things! I'm always happy to provide any help I can.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 28, 2023, 01:11 PMYeah hilarious. Laugh at me. You're making an inappropriate comment which offends in two ways: one, by calling a trans a man (when they were clearly shown to have identified as a woman, though trans should be enough anyway) and while I admit I'm no expert on it, I'm not so sure, say, Mrs. Waffles would enjoy being referred to as a trans man, though I could be wrong there. But secondly, you refer to a shooting as an American sport, which for me is a little beyond the pale, certainly on the day it happened.

But no, you go ahead and laugh at the thick Irishman. Maybe that will make you feel better about yourself, or allow you to ignore your pretty crass comment.

it sounds like you don't understand that women transition into men as well

although i'm not sure and i'm definitely not trying to dis you

as for the shooter it seems their (setting on a neutral pronoun for now) assigned sex at birth and whatever else their deal is is still in dispute

i did read that up till this incident no female has ever shot up a school - there may be a case to be made for not acknowledging the transitional status as female if they were amab but i'll follow the lead from the trans community on that one

synth, i know you didn't volunteer to be teacher here but if i misuse the word "trans" please correct and i'll update my language

#7 Mar 28, 2023, 02:37 PM Last Edit: Mar 28, 2023, 02:39 PM by Psy-Fi
Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 28, 2023, 02:16 PMi did read that up till this incident no female has ever shot up a school

I thought that at first, when I heard news reports that the shooter was female, but then I remembered this incident which happened back in the 70's when I was in high school...

Cleveland Elementary School shooting (San Diego)

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 28, 2023, 02:16 PMsynth, i know you didn't volunteer to be teacher here but if i misuse the word "trans" please correct and i'll update my language

No problem! My only goal is helping everyone understand each other better, it is a pleasure to help educate to that end.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Take it easy Trolls. You won't put yourself in these situations if you don't insist on getting offended on behalf of groups of people you have only some very foggy notions about. Which is not your fault btw, we all have different circumstances in life. Let's just have good time on the internet, that's what we're here for

Regardless of the gender/orientation/identity of the person who committed the shooting, I'm guessing the end result will be the same as it always is.

Democrats will talk about gun control and the need to ban this or that type of firearm - while blaming Republicans for this happening

Republicans will talk about mental illness, SRIs, and arming the teachers - while blaming Democrats for this happening

And then after a week or so, we'll move on to whatever the next story is, do nothing at all to improve the situation, and then do the whole song and dance again when the next school shooting inevitably happens.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Mar 28, 2023, 02:37 PM
Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 28, 2023, 02:16 PMi did read that up till this incident no female has ever shot up a school

I thought that at first, when I heard news reports that the shooter was female, but then I remembered this incident which happened back in the 70's when I was in high school...

Cleveland Elementary School shooting (San Diego)

wow a classic - i forgot

Quote from: SGR on Mar 28, 2023, 03:31 PMRegardless of the gender/orientation/identity of the person who committed the shooting, I'm guessing the end result will be the same as it always is.

Democrats will talk about gun control and the need to ban this or that type of firearm - while blaming Republicans for this happening

Republicans will talk about mental illness, SRIs, and arming the teachers - while blaming Democrats for this happening

And then after a week or so, we'll move on to whatever the next story is, do nothing at all to improve the situation, and then do the whole song and dance again when the next school shooting inevitably happens.

You say that like gun control isn't the solution but you're right nothing will change.

Children getting killed at school is a price that Americans are willing to pay.

They probably just hope its someone else's children who are killed and not theirs.

The USA is sick.

Only God knows.

Mrs. Waffles, thanks for setting me straight.
No pun intended.

I'll shut up now.
 :shycouch:

Is absolute gun control even possible? Sounds like a sequel to the War On Drugs.