I remember I had a very bad time at school. I was what we call here a swot (brainiac), not into sport, skinny and wearing glasses with buck teeth (I was wearing the glasses, not my buck teeth) and just really one of those kids who didn't fit in. I didn't torture the teachers and I wanted to actually learn. BAD move! So I got bullied a lot - though nothing like what happens today, even here. I hated school so much I developed what was nearly an ulcer, and one day my ma said something I had never expected her to: if you want to leave school, just get a job. I was amazed, and from that point on things were easier. I remember the day I left school for my job was one of the happiest of my life. I did learn in school though, and I only really left a year early, but had I stayed on I doubt it would have been of any real benefit to me.

Oh, and our school was/is one of those who prides itself on its sports teams - hurling, GAA, football - so if you didn't play sports, well, you played sports. You had no choice and there was no sympathy.

So, tealdeer: fuck school and fuck the entire school system.

#76 Mar 30, 2023, 11:51 PM Last Edit: Mar 30, 2023, 11:55 PM by Guybrush
I feel like there should be some shape of school. Certain things I think are important are things people very seldom pick up outside of school (or even inside). Education is a cornerstone of democracy because if people are going to have political power - even if it's just a vote - they should preferably be more competent in the way they wield it. I think providing a good, free, public education should be a top priority in every democracy.

That kids are busy with something during the day let's adults have jobs, so that's nice.

A lot of what kids learn in school isn't on the curriculum. There might be many lessons learned from social or moral challenges. Their first falling in love, perhaps boyfriend/girlfriend. Just learning to suck it up and get up every morning might be a lesson in and of itself.

It's deeply unfortunate that school systems hurt a lot of people. I also didn't like school much in my youth and basically wasted a year because I skipped it so much. I'd still prefer school to be adjusted so that it better accommodates the different needs of its pupils/students than for it to be abolished.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 30, 2023, 11:51 PMI feel like there should be some shape of school. Certain things I think are important are things people very seldom pick up outside of school (or even inside). Education is a cornerstone of democracy because if people are going to have political power - even if it's just a vote - they should preferably be more competent in the way they wield it. I think providing a good, free, public education should be a top priority in every democracy.

That kids are busy with something during the day let's adults have jobs, so that's nice.

A lot of what kids learn in school isn't on the curriculum. There might be many lessons learned from social or moral challenges. Their first falling in love, perhaps boyfriend/girlfriend. Just learning to suck it up and get up every morning might be a lesson in and of itself.

It's deeply unfortunate that school systems hurt a lot of people. I also didn't like school much in my youth and basically wasted a year because I skipped it so much. I'd still prefer school to be adjusted so that it better accommodates the different needs of its pupils/students than for it to be abolished.

everything about that is perfectly reasonable

this isn't an accusation that you are but it's good to not equate education with schooling

it should not be assumed that time spent in school is educational or time spent away from school isn't

i doubt it's representative but i saw footage of norwegian kids learning english in a public school and i was astonished by the quality

Americans! Send all your school-age kids to Norway! They'll actually learn stuff, and there's a better than 9 in 10 chance that none of them will be involved in a school shooting! Sign up now, places limited.

Very limited, I'd think :) The whole of Norway holds less people than New York. I realize that may be a luxury and part of why certain things probably work a little better here, like how noone's afraid of school shootings.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Looking at the appalling statistics, American children would be less likely to be shot going to school in any country in the world besides the USA...

And that's just up to April  :-\

Only God knows.

Seems to me it gets understated to what extent Republicans are banking on school shootings to come closer toward their wet dream of gutting the public school system in America. Which they hate because 1) govt bad 2) the desegregation of schools is a thorn in their side.

I don't think anyone should idealize the school as an institution (according to some, it's modelled on the prison, no less) but the alternative is kids from poor families getting no access to any educational institutions whatsoever, which seems infinitely worse.

Curious to hear what @Toy Revolver thinks about this, he's the one here with the first hand knowledge

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Quote from: jadis on Apr 03, 2023, 01:37 AMSeems to me it gets understated to what extent Republicans are banking on school shootings to come closer toward their wet dream of gutting the public school system in America. Which they hate because 1) govt bad 2) the desegregation of schools is a thorn in their side.

I don't think anyone should idealize the school as an institution (according to some, it's modelled on the prison, no less) but the alternative is kids from poor families getting no access to any educational institutions whatsoever, which seems infinitely worse.

Curious to hear what @Toy Revolver thinks about this, he's the one here with the first hand knowledge

let me get your question straight

are you asking me if i think republicans think that a silver lining to school shootings is that they could play a role in undermining the institution of free public education

Something like that, yeah. And that their reluctance to back any kind of gun regulation could be partially explained by this

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

then my answer is no, i don't think so

if i start extrapolating on why my answer in no there's a lot of rabbit holes i'd have to go down

but even if i grant you the premise that republicans even want to gut public schools the answer is still no

even the most rabid right wing opponents to public education don't see this as an opportunity nor does it affect their political policies or voting records

people who hate public education that much do exist but they're not on any sort of traditional left right political continuum

people like that are misanthropic suicidal lunatics without any meaningful political affiliation

What do the white areas represent on that map? Countries where people have been brought back to life by school shooters? Bit weird there's so much of it white. I assume, all joking aside, these are countries that for one reason or another didn't respond to or didn't agree to be in the survey?

#87 Apr 03, 2023, 06:40 AM Last Edit: Apr 03, 2023, 06:44 AM by Jwb
Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 03, 2023, 03:34 AMWhat do the white areas represent on that map? Countries where people have been brought back to life by school shooters? Bit weird there's so much of it white. I assume, all joking aside, these are countries that for one reason or another didn't respond to or didn't agree to be in the survey?
those are the countries where schools already don't exist.