QuoteI like AOC for the most part but she is going to come off as too extreme to even get the nom much less the general election.

she'd have a way better shot at the general election than the primary

primary voters or electors or whatever your state has are more conservative than general election voters

when it's just joe six pack alone in the voting booth anything can happen

a black dude
an orange clown

people like spice

let me clarify that i don't mean as a third party or independent

i mean IF she won the primary i think she would have a real shot because americans like action and she's an activity person

#17 Apr 11, 2023, 04:54 PM Last Edit: Apr 11, 2023, 04:56 PM by Nimbly9
I think AOC would do pretty well against Trump but would struggle against a DeSantis or a Vivek on the debate stage (talking 2024 here). And she'd need a budget like Michael Bloomberg's to just run ads all day and not debate anyone.

She could probably crush 2028 though.

Hasn't AOC kind of toned down her more lefty rhetoric in recent times (at least since Biden was elected)?

If she hasn't, I think she'll have to - otherwise what would prevent the DNC from rigging the primaries for some wrinkly controllable crook like they did for Hillary in 2016 (and screwed over Bernie)?

As we all know, what a politician says and what they actually do (or even try to do) once elected are two very different things. But I think AOC can lean into more of her progressive ideas during the Dem primaries, but as usual, will need to swing closer to the center during a general. This is the kind of stuff that wins you applause in the Dem primaries, but invites skepticism in the general.

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Apr 11, 2023, 04:54 PMI think AOC would do pretty well against Trump but would struggle against a DeSantis or a Vivek on the debate stage (talking 2024 here). And she'd need a budget like Michael Bloomberg's to just run ads all day and not debate anyone.

She could probably crush 2028 though.

AOC is a firebrand who would, like Trump did in 2016, garner all the attention in the room during primary debates, I think. Like you say though, she'd need to brush up on her answers - I'm sure she'd work with people to really iron out her stage presence and her ideas and how best to verbalize them in a debate - and of course, to master rebuttals to likely criticism of her ideas and proposals.

If she can do that just well enough, she'd win any optics war with these guys by default - old stodgy looking white governor vs. young attractive energetic latina - she doesn't need to completely excel in debates, she just needs to have decent answers and sound competent.

Quoteyoung attractive energetic latina

yes sir

that girl is stacked and that's a fact
she'll win letting it all hang out

really think the boom would get votes

no joke

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Apr 11, 2023, 04:30 PMgood call - maybe even wise octogenarian and leave off the "bit of still-intact" and instead of "should clearly" it could be "pass his proud legacy unto" or something something

i'm new at this politeness thing but i'm making steady progress

:laughing:
No, no! However much I grumble, I actually like your forthright style!

Quote from: Rubber Soul on Apr 11, 2023, 04:35 PMHate to break the news to you but Warren (who I supported in the 2020 primaries) isn't exactly a spring chicken either. I like AOC for the most part but she is going to come off as too extreme to even get the nom much less the general election.

How old is Elizabeth Warren? 73 years old.

Thank you, Rubber Soul and google. She's about 20 years older than I imagined her to be - so in one respect, good for her. It does, however, put her out of the running according to my own rule about Presidents: don't give the most stressful, responsible job in the country to a person who, in any other profession, would've been retired out of it because of their age.

To get lost is to learn the way.

I'm still staggered by the fact that Trump could be president from jail! Are you guys just having fun with a thick Oirishman or what? Every other country would have a man with a criminal record disqualified from running for public office, but you would allow one who is actually incarcerated to be the most powerful man on the planet? Come on: tell me it's all a big joke. It must be. Surely?

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 12, 2023, 03:46 PMI'm still staggered by the fact that Trump could be president from jail! Are you guys just having fun with a thick Oirishman or what? Every other country would have a man with a criminal record disqualified from running for public office, but you would allow one who is actually incarcerated to be the most powerful man on the planet? Come on: tell me it's all a big joke. It must be. Surely?

That's freedom, baby!

Just ignore the fact that in most states, convicted felons can't vote.

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 12, 2023, 03:46 PMI'm still staggered by the fact that Trump could be president from jail! Are you guys just having fun with a thick Oirishman or what? Every other country would have a man with a criminal record disqualified from running for public office, but you would allow one who is actually incarcerated to be the most powerful man on the planet? Come on: tell me it's all a big joke. It must be. Surely?

I like to think it would be something like the prison scene from the movie 'Goodfellas' with Trump giving orders to his underlings from inside his cell...

"Vinnie, don't put too many onions in the sauce."

We are a strange country, aren't we? And will you please stop calling me Shirley?

The Word has spoken :D