A thread for news.

Only God knows.

Cold-blooded: Abandoned alligator rescued from Brooklyn lake

QuoteNEW YORK (AP) — It's no urban legend: An alligator was found in a chilly New York City lake on Sunday, far from the subtropical and tropical climates where such creatures thrive.

The 4-foot (1.2-meter) reptile was pulled from Prospect Park Lake in Brooklyn around 8:30 a.m. and taken to an animal care center and then the Bronx Zoo for medical treatment and rehabilitation.

City officials said the gator appeared lethargic and possibly cold shocked. It was likely dumped as an unwanted pet, they said. Releasing animals in city parks is illegal. Police are investigating.

For years, New Yorkers have pondered the myth that alligators roam the city's sewer system, even celebrating Alligators in the Sewers Day as an unofficial February holiday.

Sightings like Sunday's help keep the urban legend alive, but experts throw cold water on the sewer theory. Alligators aren't suited to the sewer system's frigid, toxic environment, they say.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Unwanted pet? Who keeps alligators as pets?

Only God knows.

The Mysterious Case of Garfield Phones Washing Up on French Beaches Since the '80s Has Been Solved

QuoteFor 35 years, toy Garfield phones the color of macaroni and cheese have inexplicably washed up onto the beaches along the coastal waters of Brittany, France, and now we finally know why.

It appears they all came to Marine Nature Park from a shipping container that washed up into a cave after a storm.

On Friday, five members of Ar Viltansoù and journalists from FranceInfo visited the cave to discover the origins of the onslaught.

"I saw Garfield and container pieces all over the cave. But the bulk of the phones are already gone, the sea has done its job for thirty years. We arrive after the battle," the president of the local beach cleanup association, Viltansoù Simonin-Le Meur, said according to Le Monde.

As many as 200 Garfield's sea-faring parts were discovered strewn across France's beaches just last year, according to FranceInfo.

https://apnews.com/article/4a51bb715334a989cc0046fe244c21bf

A central Florida television journalist and a little girl were fatally shot Wednesday afternoon near the scene of a fatal shooting from earlier in the day, authorities said.

https://apnews.com/article/38ea83109a8e97f263d7fc60367b39af

all extremist killings identified in 2022 were linked to right-wing extremism, with an especially high number linked to white supremacy

German ballet director suspended over feces attack on critic  :poop:

QuoteA German newspaper critic had animal feces smeared on her face in the city of Hannover by a ballet director who apparently took offense at a review she wrote.

The Hannover state opera house apologized for the incident and said Monday that it was suspending ballet director Marco Goecke with immediate effect.

Goecke said that while having his work "soiled for years" was a price he had been told he had to pay for being in the public eye, there was a limit.

I wonder how long the director was carrying around the animal feces beforehand.

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 23, 2023, 07:30 PMI wonder how long the director was carrying around the animal feces beforehand.

Certainly adds new meaning to the term "brown-bagging" at work.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Feb 23, 2023, 08:46 PM
Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 23, 2023, 07:30 PMI wonder how long the director was carrying around the animal feces beforehand.

:laughing:

https://apnews.com/article/789562253af9aca2c201207c877c5b5f

QuoteAt least 43 migrants died when their overcrowded wooden boat smashed into rocky reefs and broke apart off southern Italy before dawn Sunday, the Italian coast guard said. Survivors reportedly indicated that dozens more could be missing.

Italian President Sergio Mattarella noted that many of the migrants risking their lives on unseaworthy boats come from Afghanistan and Iran, "fleeing from conditions of great difficulty."

both afghanistan and iran were well on their ways to being fun decent places to live in the late sixties and early seventies

women were wearing jeans and sunglasses and people were listening to jazz and going to nightclubs and enjoying life

the histories are obviously complicated but western interference played a bug part of devastating both countries but you can also see a big push in religious fundamentalism in america and civil disarray that could leave us in a similar predicament if we're not careful- also i don't see how europe can absorb so many people from these cultures and still keep the diversity of the unique flavor of each country but that's their business- i definitely don't blame britain for brexit - even though i'll probably never return to japan i lived enough of my life there to love japan and i'm glad they're protective of the culture and keep stiff strict limits on immigration- i'd hate to see tokyo become as generic as london and paris

https://apnews.com/article/48d1f565c800139bb397bb886436968f

as states begin checking everyone's eligibility for Medicaid for the first time in three years, as many as 14 million people could lose access to that health care coverage

as far as i'm concerned any hospital or clinic that turns away the poor should be razed

Brexit hasn't changed much with regards to immigration in the UK. The numbers haven't changed, all it means is it is now more difficult for EU citizens to enter, and more hoops to jump through for Britons if they want to go the other way.

It was a lie sold to the public as 'vote Brexit and we'll have control over the borders'. The Tories don't care about it, they've been claiming they'll bring the numbers down in their last three manifestos and it hasn't happened.

There is plenty of food to go round though! Oh wait.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 26, 2023, 04:28 PMBrexit hasn't changed much with regards to immigration in the UK. The numbers haven't changed, all it means is it is now more difficult for EU citizens to enter, and more hoops to jump through for Britons if they want to go the other way.

It was a lie sold to the public as 'vote Brexit and we'll have control over the borders'. The Tories don't care about it, they've been claiming they'll bring the numbers down in their last three manifestos and it hasn't happened.

There is plenty of food to go round though! Oh wait.

not surprising but i appreciate you helping me keep it straight

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 23, 2023, 08:47 PM
Quote from: Psy-Fi on Feb 23, 2023, 08:46 PM

:laughing:

Also lends new meaning to getting shitfaced!

Ah, the wild and down and dirty world of ballet: just another day in the cesspool that is interpretive dance.