Not quite sure where to put this, but is this really necessary as a headline?

Transgender rapist jailed in Scotland for eight years

I mean, the word. Couldn't they just have said "rapist jailed"? What difference does it really make if they're TG? It doesn't at all impact on the case - he was a man when he raped the women, which does not in any way lessen the severity of the offence, but why trumpet that they are now TG? Is this not just further reactionary scaremongering that will feed into the paranoia of anyone who thinks all trans people are potential rapists and child molesters?

It is relevant because they changed gender after arrest and were initially held in a women's prison, then moved into a men's one after public outrage. 

Only God knows.

Quote from: Trollheart on Feb 28, 2023, 06:40 PMNot quite sure where to put this, but is this really necessary as a headline?

I mean, the word. Couldn't they just have said "rapist jailed"? What difference does it really make if they're TG? It doesn't at all impact on the case - he was a man when he raped the women, which does not in any way lessen the severity of the offence, but why trumpet that they are now TG? Is this not just further reactionary scaremongering that will feed into the paranoia of anyone who thinks all trans people are potential rapists and child molesters?

Yes, it's absolutely intentional. They are pushing a narrative to defame and dehumanize us so the general public won't protest when they ramp up their persecution.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Trollheart on Feb 28, 2023, 06:40 PMNot quite sure where to put this, but is this really necessary as a headline?

i disagree- the facts are the facts and reporters are duty bound to report the facts without fear or favor - good reporting answers who when where what and why - this clearly falls into the camp of who - plus it's relevant

QuoteThe case sparked uproar after Bryson was initially housed in an all-female prison and the rapist was then moved to the male estate.

Quote from: Dreams on Feb 28, 2023, 06:53 PMi disagree- the facts are the facts and reporters are duty bound to report the facts without fear or favor - good reporting answers who when where what and why - this clearly falls into the camp of who - plus it's relevant

When a black person commits a crime they don't report it as "Black rapist jailed." We don't need to know every detail about a criminal's identity.

It is also worth pointing out that The Guardian (a left wing publication), is also using a similar headline and mentioning the trans aspect:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/28/trans-woman-isla-bryson-jailed-raping-two-women

And they would definitely not be partaking in trans fear mongering.

These articles are a development of the story that initially made the news when the offender was held in a women's prison and Nicola Sturgeon got involved.

Only God knows.

#36 Feb 28, 2023, 07:01 PM Last Edit: Feb 28, 2023, 07:06 PM by Lady of Synth
In this particular case, yes her gender is relevant. I'm just talking about the headline that Trollheart posted. The headline itself, that is.

And there are plenty of leftists who are complicit in transphobia, whether it's intentionally malicious or not. The wording, drawing attention to her gender front and center, is what I'm talking about.

I apologize if I come off as overly paranoid and scrutinizing of publications; you tend to read into this stuff and be less trusting if your livelihood is currently threatened like mine is.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Feb 28, 2023, 06:57 PM
Quote from: Dreams on Feb 28, 2023, 06:53 PMi disagree- the facts are the facts and reporters are duty bound to report the facts without fear or favor - good reporting answers who when where what and why - this clearly falls into the camp of who - plus it's relevant

When a black person commits a crime they don't report it as "Black rapist jailed." We don't need to know every detail about a criminal's identity.

they usually show a picture so it's self-evident

and they should use general descriptors - it's not their job to sheild people from fallout -

journalist shouldn't hide basic facts

#38 Feb 28, 2023, 07:08 PM Last Edit: Feb 28, 2023, 07:10 PM by Lady of Synth
Quote from: Dreams on Feb 28, 2023, 07:04 PMthey usually show a picture so it's self-evident

and they should use general descriptors - it's not their job to sheild people from fallout -

journalist shouldn't hide basic facts

I'm talking more about drawing attention to the person's gender in the headline. In this particular case I conceded that the gender is relevant to the actual article but I stand by what I said about the wording of headlines in general.

when a journalist writes an article they should describe the person the same way they would be described in a normal conversation

who mugged you?

a white guy
a midget
a black guy
a trans person
a priest
a homeless guy
a whatever the person is

Quote from: Dreams on Feb 28, 2023, 07:12 PMwhen a journalist writes an article they should describe the person the same way they would be described in a normal conversation

who mugged you?

a white guy
a midget
a black guy
a trans person
a priest
a homeless guy
a whatever the person is

I agree, but you don't have to put it as the first word in the headline if it's not relevant (I know this particular case it is). Maybe it's not intentionally pushing the anti-trans agenda, but it does have an effect on what Joe Public gets out of the article.

#41 Feb 28, 2023, 07:22 PM Last Edit: Feb 28, 2023, 07:27 PM by Marie Monday
Yes. Unbelievable that it's still necessary to explain that. Also, saying you want to know who a criminal is is fine and all but it's a useless argument because you can't give literally all information about someone; you have to select. In particular, you have to select the most relevant information. Saying that you think the trans bit should be mentioned only indicates that you think it's somehow very relevant to either the crime or the person. If it's the latter it's understandable, but at least people should question these things about themselves. Saying that it's because 'you want to know who someone is' distracts from that introspection

Quote from: Dreams on Feb 28, 2023, 07:12 PMwhen a journalist writes an article they should describe the person the same way they would be described in a normal conversation

Journalists have never done that. No one, in normal conversation, would describe their neighbor as "local man, 37".

This is what you want. This is what you get.

The point here is that this person is NOT a trans rapist. When the rape was committed they were a man (though identifying as a woman from age four, not really relevant though). THEN later they transitioned. This headline makes it seem that someone raped two women AS A TRANS which is not the case. It gives fuel to these brain-dead idiots who will point to the headline and say "See? We told you! They're all rapists!" I mean, if it said Mexican rapist, would you think that was okay? I think placing the two highly-charged words right beside each other is deliberate, intended to cause controversy and is the worst kind of hate-mongering click bait there is. Fuck those guys. It didn't need to be written that way AND it's inaccurate and untrue.

Bryson was convicted last month of raping two women - one in Clydebank in 2016 and one in Drumchapel, Glasgow, in 2019 - and committed the offences while a man known as Adam Graham.

The 31-year-old, from Clydebank, met both the victims online and prosecutors said Bryson had "preyed" on vulnerable women.

journalists report facts

get over it people