I have the hiccups, someone please startle me.   

Throw your dog the invisible bone.

Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 11, 2024, 05:49 AMI have the hiccups, someone please startle me.   

Boo!

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 11, 2024, 05:49 AMI have the hiccups, someone please startle me.   

Trump 2024

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Jul 11, 2024, 06:27 AMBoo!

They're cured!

Quote from: Key on Jul 11, 2024, 05:17 PMTrump 2024

Now I've vomited on myself, thanks.

Throw your dog the invisible bone.

I've listened to (and enjoyed!!) hip-hop and hardcore punk!
Startling enough for you?

(You know you can just hold your breath, right? Always stops it)

Quote from: Trollheart on Jul 11, 2024, 07:38 PMI've listened to (and enjoyed!!) hip-hop and hardcore punk!
Startling enough for you?

(You know you can just hold your breath, right? Always stops it)

What hip hop albums/artists have you listened to and enjoyed? I'm honestly curious.

Oh I'd have to check back but I know Loyle Carner (?), Homeboy Sandman, Snoop, Your Old Droog are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Oh, and got into some mix between hip-hop and metal - Bloodcount? Bodycount? I'll go back and make a list later. But I do remember having my eyes opened and my attitude changed, even if I didn't, and don't, like all hip-hop still. It was an education.

Quote from: Trollheart on Jul 11, 2024, 08:57 PMOh I'd have to check back but I know Loyle Carner (?), Homeboy Sandman, Snoop, Your Old Droog are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Oh, and got into some mix between hip-hop and metal - Bloodcount? Bodycount? I'll go back and make a list later. But I do remember having my eyes opened and my attitude changed, even if I didn't, and don't, like all hip-hop still. It was an education.

Nice! You ever listend to A Tribe Called Quest? I know you're not a big fan of jazz, but they often include many jazz-infused samples, and they even hired Ron Carter to play bass on one of the tracks on their second album, The Low End Theory , which is one of my all time favorite rap albums. It never gets old. At the very least, I think you'd like it a lot more than the Beastly Boys.  :laughing:

Okay here's the list. These are all 2017 albums, as I listened to them for that thread back on Usicmay Anterbay

Full and fair disclosure: these are the only albums I have heard by these artists, and no doubt you'll piss yourself laughing at my belief that they somehow allow me to "get" hip-hop, but what they did show me was that there was at least some music in the genre that I could like, and for me that was a big step.

P.O.S. - Chill, Dummy
Big Sean - I Decided
Loyle Carner - Yesterday's Gone
Swifty McVay - Gray Blood
Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS Light
Jon Wayne - Rap Album Two
Oddisee - The Iceberg
Stormzy - Gang Signs and Prayer
Your Old Droog - Packs
Rick Ross - Rather You Than Me
Mansionz - Mansionz
Body Count (that's the one) - Bloodlust (Don't think it's technically hip-hop but I sure like it)
Freddie Gibbs - You Only Live 2twice
Homeboy Sandman - Veins
Tee Grizzley - My Moment
Rich Homie Quan - Back to the Basics
Talib Kwell and Styles P. - The Seven
Brother Ali - All the Beuaty in This Whole Life
Logic - Everybody
Machine Gun Kelly - Bloom
Snoop Dogg - Neva Left
Esham - Scribble
Kool G Rap - Return of the Don
Vic Mensa - Manuscript

Quote from: Trollheart on Jul 12, 2024, 01:02 AMOkay here's the list. These are all 2017 albums, as I listened to them for that thread back on Usicmay Anterbay

Full and fair disclosure: these are the only albums I have heard by these artists, and no doubt you'll piss yourself laughing at my belief that they somehow allow me to "get" hip-hop, but what they did show me was that there was at least some music in the genre that I could like, and for me that was a big step.

P.O.S. - Chill, Dummy
Big Sean - I Decided
Loyle Carner - Yesterday's Gone
Swifty McVay - Gray Blood
Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS Light
Jon Wayne - Rap Album Two
Oddisee - The Iceberg
Stormzy - Gang Signs and Prayer
Your Old Droog - Packs
Rick Ross - Rather You Than Me
Mansionz - Mansionz
Body Count (that's the one) - Bloodlust (Don't think it's technically hip-hop but I sure like it)
Freddie Gibbs - You Only Live 2twice
Homeboy Sandman - Veins
Tee Grizzley - My Moment
Rich Homie Quan - Back to the Basics
Talib Kwell and Styles P. - The Seven
Brother Ali - All the Beuaty in This Whole Life
Logic - Everybody
Machine Gun Kelly - Bloom
Snoop Dogg - Neva Left
Esham - Scribble
Kool G Rap - Return of the Don
Vic Mensa - Manuscript

Honestly, a pretty good list. A lot of these I've listened to and enjoyed. Cool to see you diving into hip hop. I dove into the genre a few years ago and fell in love with it immediately. I love the poetic nature of it and I find it even more impressive how much an artist can fit into a song lyrically when compared to other genres.

Well as I say it was all for that thread. I didn't go in with a conscious decision or intention of listening to hip-hop, though I knew I would encounter it. I listened to everything from Italian disco to Brazilian metalcore probably; certainly a diverse list. I thikn it was Occulthawk who called the whole endeavour a huge waste of time, but I couldn't disagree more. Even though there was some absolute garbage I had to wade through, the good stuff was more than worth it. Even then, I had a blast, and it showed me how I could make an attempt to get into genres I had never even attempted before. Yes, even jazz.

And now, I'm doing it all over again.

Quote from: Trollheart on Jul 12, 2024, 04:00 AMWell as I say it was all for that thread. I didn't go in with a conscious decision or intention of listening to hip-hop, though I knew I would encounter it. I listened to everything from Italian disco to Brazilian metalcore probably; certainly a diverse list. I thikn it was Occulthawk who called the whole endeavour a huge waste of time, but I couldn't disagree more. Even though there was some absolute garbage I had to wade through, the good stuff was more than worth it. Even then, I had a blast, and it showed me how I could make an attempt to get into genres I had never even attempted before. Yes, even jazz.

And now, I'm doing it all over again.

Jazz is also one of the genres I've had trouble getting into but it's more my ignorance of the genre than anything else. I know there's some good stuff there but it seems like an endeavor and a half to wade through the bad stuff to get to the good.

I did make an effort there. Even started a jazz journal to enable me to explore the genre. Big mistake. I was so bored and hated most of what I was recommended. During the 2017 thread I did come across some good jazz albums, but they were (obviously) new ones, so the old "standards" did nothing for me. One or two (Miles Davis Kinda Blue) but overall it's just a genre I've described, accurately I believe, as leaving me cold, and even if I hear it on a TV progamme it bores me, so no, I don't think I'll ever be into jazz.

Another thing about it is the snobbery involved in it. Like classical, often it seems people refuse to take you seriously unless you're into their music. I don't tell people who hate prog they don't know what music is - that's their choice, and similarly if they're into Vaporwave or whatever I don't say that's not music (without, at least, appending "to me anyway"): people can be into what they want to. I won't accept anyone sneering at me that I don't understand music because I'm not into jazz, and that's another thing that keeps me from wanting to hear any. I recognise it's a hugely important music genre and millions of people are into it, but it's not for me, and it never will be, and I won't force myself to like it for anyone.

Hip-hop, on the other hand, I always felt I gave too short shrift, and that it was unfair of me, so I allowed it its chance to impress me, and while not everything I heard did, there was enough there to convince me I could listen to some of it, that it was not all the same and that I needed to give it a chance.

Yes, it's a pity that jazz appreciation often comes with snobbery attached -  and it's my opinion that guys like Miles Davis helped that along. I don't know much about the guy but my impression is that he got more arrogant in his attitude as he got older and played less approachable music.

Just out of curiosity I googled "best jazz song ever written" and Dave Brubeck's Take Five turned up as #1 on a couple of lists. On google there was also the intriguing question, "Who is the greatest jazz of all time?" - to which the answer seems to be, "If you weren't born before 1930, you're not in the running." So that's another discouragement to explore what is, as Key says, a vast genre. :( 

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

I was always a bit bemused by Miles Davis. He was touted as the best jazz and jazz fusion guy since sliced bread, but I couldn't quite feel it. I mean he was a cool mf and I liked "Sketches of Spain".

Jazz is indeed a huge genre, I feel it invites a huge amount of debate and banter.

The snobbery thing is weird. It transcends political, class, wealth, cultural, national and local boundaries.