I can't say, and I suppose in the final analysis I don't care, but I get the impression both classical and especially jazz aficionados (I don't think they like to be called fans: you have to call them aficionados or enthusiasts, probably) look down on "new" versions of their music. In other words, classically-speaking, a new composer coming up with entirely new melodies (neo-classical? Nah probably not, but whatever they call it) would incite sniffs of disdain from the classical intelligentsia, claiming it wasn't real classical. I think the same may be true of jazz fans (jazzers? Jizzers?  :laughing: ) which is a pity, as to be honest all the jazz I can claim to like was recorded in 2017, such as The Comet is Coming, Morten Schantz and Arve Henriksen. I can't say shit about jazz, but I know what I like (not always, but sometimes, in your wardrobe) and if "true" (or even trve) jazz heads ignore such talent, then fuck them.

Quote from: Saulaac on Jul 13, 2024, 12:14 AMI was always a bit bemused by Miles Davis. He was touted as the best jazz and jazz fusion guy since sliced bread, but I couldn't quite feel it. I mean he was a cool mf and I liked "Sketches of Spain".

Jazz is indeed a huge genre, I feel it invites a huge amount of debate and banter.

The snobbery thing is weird. It transcends political, class, wealth, cultural, national and local boundaries.

I won't suffer any Miles slander here.  :laughing:

Curious, have you ever listened to any of his Second Great Quintet albums? Like Filles De Kilimanjaro or Nefertiti? Incredible material, in my opinion.

I know that last comment was not directed at me, but anyway: I've heard, as I say, Kinda Blue and loved it but then Bitches Brew was suggested and I truly, truly hated it. So make of that what you will. Maybe I got lucky once: I threw the Miles die and it came up good, the other five sides may all have been terrible, for me.

Of the little Miles Davis I have listened to, I like the album In A Silent Way best. TBH I have had a long-simmering grudge against MD ever since he tricked me into buying Bitches Brew, which I found really disappointing - so ditto to your comment on that album, Trollheart. :thumb:

Quote from: Saulaac on Jul 13, 2024, 12:14 AMI was always a bit bemused by Miles Davis. He was touted as the best jazz and jazz fusion guy since sliced bread, but I couldn't quite feel it. I mean he was a cool mf and I liked "Sketches of Spain".

^ Yes, I think he overdid this, and clearly didn't get the message from the summer of love, that it ain't cool to be cool no more:-

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

This hatred for Bitches Brew has me so shocked that I think my hiccups are cured! It's the Miles Davis album I'm most likely to put on these days. As someone who was a huge Pink Floyd fan in my youth, I always think of it as the jazz response to "Interstellar Overdrive". 

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Well like I say, I already have no love for jazz, so you should be as surprised at me hating that as you would be if I said I hated Never Mind the Bollocks. Which I do. Shrug.

Quote from: Trollheart on Jul 12, 2024, 06:03 PMI did make an effort there. Even started a jazz journal to enable me to explore the genre. Big mistake. I was so bored and hated most of what I was recommended. During the 2017 thread I did come across some good jazz albums, but they were (obviously) new ones, so the old "standards" did nothing for me. One or two (Miles Davis Kinda Blue) but overall it's just a genre I've described, accurately I believe, as leaving me cold, and even if I hear it on a TV progamme it bores me, so no, I don't think I'll ever be into jazz.

Another thing about it is the snobbery involved in it. Like classical, often it seems people refuse to take you seriously unless you're into their music. I don't tell people who hate prog they don't know what music is - that's their choice, and similarly if they're into Vaporwave or whatever I don't say that's not music (without, at least, appending "to me anyway"): people can be into what they want to. I won't accept anyone sneering at me that I don't understand music because I'm not into jazz, and that's another thing that keeps me from wanting to hear any. I recognise it's a hugely important music genre and millions of people are into it, but it's not for me, and it never will be, and I won't force myself to like it for anyone.

Hip-hop, on the other hand, I always felt I gave too short shrift, and that it was unfair of me, so I allowed it its chance to impress me, and while not everything I heard did, there was enough there to convince me I could listen to some of it, that it was not all the same and that I needed to give it a chance.

I'm honestly out of all of this just stoked to hear that you have warmed up to hip hop. It's probably because I had the same sort of revelation years ago that it's not all the same and there's some really good stuff out there. I used to be so turned off by it because I genuinely did think it was all just the same thing but once I really dove into it, it quickly became my favorite genre. Now jazz...probably won't be in my wheel house for some time to come but classical on the other hand I can get behind.

When my great grandma passed away I acquired an abundance of classical vinyl records from her and it definitely helped me warm up to the genre more when I can listen to it in a way that is more my forte.

Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 13, 2024, 01:59 AMThis hatred for Bitches Brew has me so shocked that I think my hiccups are cured! It's the Miles Davis album I'm most likely to put on these days. As someone who was a huge Pink Floyd fan in my youth, I always think of it as the jazz response to "Interstellar Overdrive". 

Admittedly, his fusion era isn't my favorite Miles era, but I do love Bitches Brew. It's one of those albums that's a grower. You need to listen to it a few times before you start to appreciate the grooves.

That being said, my hot take is that, among his fusion albums, Jack Johnson is even better than Bitches Brew. And for what it's worth, I play Ascenseur Pour L'échafaud much more often than either of those two albums.  :)

Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 11, 2024, 05:49 AMI have the hiccups, someone please startle me.   

When you have this, drink water then suck in air and hold your breathe for 10 seconds. If you burp then hiccups are gone. If no burp then you need to repeat until they are gone.

I was this cool the whole time.

The easiest way is just drinking water upside down

Quote from: Marie Monday on Jul 14, 2024, 12:07 PMThe easiest way is just drinking water upside down

While rubbing your belly and patting your head

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: Marie Monday on Jul 14, 2024, 12:07 PMThe easiest way is just drinking water upside down

Now all you have to do is advise us where we can get upside-down water!  :laughing:

Speaking of which (kind of) have you ever noticed that Evian is naive spelled backwards?

#27 Jul 19, 2024, 12:25 AM Last Edit: Jul 19, 2024, 12:38 AM by Saulaac
Quote from: SGR on Jul 13, 2024, 01:11 AMI won't suffer any Miles slander here.  :laughing:

Curious, have you ever listened to any of his Second Great Quintet albums? Like Filles De Kilimanjaro or Nefertiti? Incredible material, in my opinion.

Yes indeed those are great jazz tunes, SGR! I remember you talked about those ones ^ previously and I really liked them. They go hard. 

Funnily enough, yesterday I was strimming thick brambles to clear a fence, and I must have disturbed a wasps nest. I got stung twice. Once on the nose, and the second time on the arm. Both areas have swelled but nothing serious. The buggers were not just the ordinary wasps who pretty much go about their daily business. These were almost hornet size. They spotted me from about 4 metres away and a couple of them went straight into attack mode. They were so fast and for a split second looked as if they were flying backwards with their tails in my direction, and had a very good aim to get my face and arm with such precision. There must be a nest there but I can't get close enough to inspect. Anyways, it made me think of Herbie Hancock's Hornets which sounds in similar vein to your MD posts above.
I'd hazard a guess that the MD albums above came before Herbie's "Hornets".

This is what I came to say... almost always works.

What I actually do when I have hiccups is I drink a mug full of water with a knife in it. My fourth grade teacher taught me this and I have no idea why it works, but it does.

This is what you want. This is what you get.