Quote from: Jwb on Aug 27, 2023, 12:55 AMthose are all the cons you see for being Trump's vp? Maybe we should add having his followers turn on you and chanting for your death once the bridge goes up in flames.  :laughing:

Well, those were the cons for the success of the ticket, not Vivek's personal safety and well-being  :laughing:

I'm also not sure Trump will pick another "moderate" vp. Back in 16 he still needed to convince the Evangelicals. That's no longer true.  He'll probably pick a ride or die bitch like Kari Lake over another coward who "picks the constitution over Trump" like Pence. 

#138 Aug 27, 2023, 03:07 PM Last Edit: Aug 27, 2023, 03:23 PM by Nimbly9
Quote from: Jwb on Aug 27, 2023, 12:48 AMI thought Haley made him look pretty bad during the foreign policy exchange and Pence got him with the on the job training line, but at the same time why the fuck are we watching a debate where the front runner isn't there, nobody is seriously willing to attack him other than Christie trying a half assed line of attacks that failed miserably.  Haley was able to navigate pushing back against Trump better than Christie did, but they all would still support him even if he is convicted of any the indictments, so yeah.  Very feeble pushback at that.

And nobody even bothered to go after DeSantis. It was all about the 3rd place guy vivek. To me, the debate really made the republican party look weak and empty absent Trump.

How do you think Haley did well when the main GOP position right now is "why are we sending billions to Ukraine?". She's completely at odds with that.

She looked silly yelling over Vivek, just like Trump looked silly when he was attempting to yell over Biden back in the 2020 debates.  If she really wanted to put Vivek in his place, she needed to offer an actual counterargument to what he was talking about...but instead she just strawmanned him about "giving Putin anything he wants" or some other unnuanced nonsense.  She sounded like a middle schooler who has never talked about foreign policy before, which is weird because that's supposed to be her "thing". 

Vivek's position on Ukraine is that you have all this money flowing over there with little oversight and no endgame in mind, so perhaps what we are doing might not be the absolute best approach to ending that conflict.  It struck me as strange that Haley had nothing to say to that.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Aug 27, 2023, 01:52 PMTrump campaign raises $7.1m following historic Georgia mugshot

Goes to show he's a horrible businessman. He waited until the 4th indictment which forced him to be booked, fingerprinted and mugshot instead of appearing at the courthouse. He should've insisted it on the 1st indictment and gotten the mugshot to upsell it.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Aug 27, 2023, 03:07 PMHow do you think Haley did well when the main GOP position right now is "why are we sending billions to Ukraine?". She's completely at odds with that.

She looked silly yelling over Vivek, just like Trump looked silly when he was attempting to yell over Biden back in the 2020 debates.  If she really wanted to put Vivek in his place, she needed to offer an actual counterargument to what he was talking about...but instead she just strawmanned him about "giving Putin anything he wants" or some other unnuanced nonsense.  She sounded like a middle schooler who has never talked about foreign policy before, which is weird because that's supposed to be her "thing". 

Vivek's position on Ukraine is that you have all this money flowing over there with little oversight and no endgame in mind, so perhaps what we are doing might not be the absolute best approach to ending that conflict.  It struck me as strange that Haley had nothing to say to that.

It's not that strange when you think about it and what she's known for and associated with.

#141 Aug 27, 2023, 07:53 PM Last Edit: Aug 27, 2023, 07:57 PM by Jwb
Quote from: Nimbly9 on Aug 27, 2023, 03:07 PMHow do you think Haley did well when the main GOP position right now is "why are we sending billions to Ukraine?". She's completely at odds with that.

I mean she clearly had the crowd on her side.  You can say she looked silly talking over him but at the end it was the crowd who was drowning out the entire first half of his answer and then quieting down and not responding to the 2nd half.  It's pretty rough when you are trying to compliment Israel on a GOP stage and the crowd still isn't biting.

Like you seem to think she lost the exchange cause you don't agree with her. But that's not really important.  I happen to think that citing the money we send as being too expensive is a pretty short sighted approach. We have plenty of reasons to want Russia to falter in Ukraine.  And prior to Trump the GOP was very hawkish on Russia.  So her neo-con pov is actually more in line with the GOP than Vivek's isolationism. That is, if that isolationism is to include no longer funding Israel.  If you think they would go for that just because wars have become unpopular then i would say you don't understand zionism and the influence it has on American politics. 

Also, Trump got an optics L for seeming to bully Biden who was like a doddering old man that people felt bad for.  Literally nobody felt bad for Vivek. He spent the entire first portion of the debate inviting exactly that kind of energy. There's not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that that moment helped Haley and didn't hurt her in the slightest.

DeSantis has proven to be rather disappointing.  If he had even 10% of Vivek's fire and vigor, he'd be doing better.

I saw an interview with Vivek and he's not interested in being VP for Trump so if he doesn't beat him he's not going to be involved with him.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 02, 2023, 07:32 PMI saw an interview with Vivek and he's not interested in being VP for Trump so if he doesn't beat him he's not going to be involved with him.

Did he rule out a cabinet position?

Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 03, 2023, 09:19 AMYes basically.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4160226-ramaswamy-on-vp-slot-im-not-interested-in-a-different-position-in-the-government/

Fair enough - but makes me wonder, isn't that what they always say when running in a primary? Has anyone actually come out and said: "Yes, I'd be totally happy with a VP spot or a cabinet position" during a primary run? It makes me think their support and donors would dry up if they did.

Quote from: SGR on Sep 05, 2023, 04:12 PMFair enough - but makes me wonder, isn't that what they always say when running in a primary? Has anyone actually come out and said: "Yes, I'd be totally happy with a VP spot or a cabinet position" during a primary run? It makes me think their support and donors would dry up if they did.

Yeah nobody has come out and said they wanted the VP slot in a primary race.  Look at some of the stuff Kamala Harris said about Biden when she was running as POTUS during the 2020 Dem primary before she eventually accepted a VP offer from him later on.  It's a pretty common trajectory.