Speaking of trash, living solo hasn't been good for my eating habits. All I have for breakfast these days is pepperoni sticks with some whole wheat crackers and black coffee. Which is highly Canadian of me tbh

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

A week ago, we came home from our 10 days vacation in Denmark. As somewhat of a foodie, one of the things that excites me in Danish stores is their lovely herring.

Here's a picture from the pantry. Fresh, brown farm eggs and a bucket of marinated herring filets. God damn do they go well together.

We also always get cheeses, but the Dan-something cheeses that are sold everywhere in Denmark are a little strange. They're relatively pungent and a little soft yellow cheeses. I like pungent cheeses. However, these typically aren't that good as a spread and also not particularly good when enjoyed on their own or, say, with crackers, wine and some grapes.

It's like I just can't figure out the best way to eat them. Maybe they're just not very good cheeses.

Their blue cheeses are alright, though.

Happiness is a warm manatee

I'm so mad right now. I went to cook some brown rice that wasn't opened that I got from Wal-Mart and there were two dead moths inside. They had to have been sealed inside from the fucking factory. My lunch is ruined.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Jul 20, 2023, 09:32 PMI'm so mad right now. I went to cook some brown rice that wasn't opened that I got from Wal-Mart and there were two dead moths inside. They had to have been sealed inside from the fucking factory. My lunch is ruined.

Decent protein in them moths tbf.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jul 20, 2023, 09:41 PMDecent protein in them moths tbf.

I did a little research and I guess it's a thing.

Rice moths/pantry moths.

They were inside the bag because Wal-Mart left that particular bag in the store for a month or longer and they grew from eggs that were inside idk.

I was this cool the whole time.

Yesterday, we were driving to some place when we saw a roadside sign saying someone was selling knåost, knead cheese. It's a creamy, heat treated cheese with caraway seeds. Me and my wife bought a bunch many years ago and it was so good and we've thinking about it ever since, but you can't get it anywhere so.. we were like STOP THE CAR!!

I rang the door and some old guy with a purple alcoholic's nose answered and yes, he didn't make the cheese himself, but he sold it from his freezer in the garage. Brilliant.

I bought three of the things and we later thawed one out. We tasted it. Yes, that's the stuff!

Then I found a fucking black hair in it. God damn it you old cheese wiz.

That's awful ffs that'd put me right off and probably off the rest of my food for that day.

When I was about 14 my mate kept on at me to go round his for a barbecue and I didn't really want to because I don't like eating other people's cooking but to be polite I was like OK.

His mom cooked me a burger and there was a hair in that but there was nothing I could do because I was sat with the family. So I had to swallow what was in my mouth and put the rest in a tissue then in my pocket without being noticed. Then I went to the bathroom and flushed it down the toilet.

I've never been to Alcatraz but I imagine that being freed from there feels almost as good as I did when I left this barbecue.

Thrilling story I know. Danny Dyer is going to play me in the Hollywood movie.

Only God knows.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 21, 2023, 01:18 AMYesterday, we were driving to some place when we saw a roadside sign saying someone was selling knåost, knead cheese. It's a creamy, heat treated cheese with caraway seeds. Me and my wife bought a bunch many years ago and it was so good and we've thinking about it ever since, but you can't get it anywhere so.. we were like STOP THE CAR!!

I rang the door and some old guy with a purple alcoholic's nose answered and yes, he didn't make the cheese himself, but he sold it from his freezer in the garage. Brilliant.

I bought three of the things and we later thawed one out. We tasted it. Yes, that's the stuff!

Then I found a fucking black hair in it. God damn it you old cheese wiz.

Bonus barf points if it was a pubic hair. :pimp:

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jul 21, 2023, 05:11 AMThat's awful ffs that'd put me right off and probably off the rest of my food for that day.

When I was about 14 my mate kept on at me to go round his for a barbecue and I didn't really want to because I don't like eating other people's cooking but to be polite I was like OK.

His mom cooked me a burger and there was a hair in that but there was nothing I could do because I was sat with the family. So I had to swallow what was in my mouth and put the rest in a tissue then in my pocket without being noticed. Then I went to the bathroom and flushed it down the toilet.

I've never been to Alcatraz but I imagine that being freed from there feels almost as good as I did when I left this barbecue.

Thrilling story I know. Danny Dyer is going to play me in the Hollywood movie.

Ditto. :pimp:

I can understand not liking other people's cooking when you live in England mate :laughing:  :laughing:

Myself I've always loved it. My friends' moms were usually better cooks than mine, who tried very hard all her life to be a good cook but her years of apprenticeship involved making cookbook recipes with whatever ingredients she had at hand (i.e. Soviet slop) and with no feedback except from her loved ones. I suspect it threw her palate out of whack and she never recovered. When I was little I thought pizza was a really disgusting pie, like Russian cabbage pie except much much worse.   

Whereas at friends' homes I've had really delicious Moroccan and Caribbean home cooking among others. Proper pizza too

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jul 21, 2023, 05:11 AMThat's awful ffs that'd put me right off and probably off the rest of my food for that day.

I'm still gonna eat it, it's just that in my mind I'll be going like "holy shit this is good. God damn you, old alcoholic cheesemonger, for making me doubt this experience".

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Jul 21, 2023, 01:53 PMBonus barf points if it was a pubic hair. :pimp:

The thought did cross my mind. Luckily it was straight and not curly.

As for other people's cooking etc. I'm the least picky eater I know. It's a very rare occurrence that I meet food that I wouldn't eat.

Something I do care about is food hygiene, so what sort of container the food is in, what it was grilled on or how it was treated. But unless I think something might be harmful, I'm game.

Like this cheese is made from boiled milk, so then I guess a hair is  nasty, but not actually harmful in any way.

Any of y'all like beets? I discovered that you can buy them peeled and cooked, which is a game changer. And apparently it's one of the best, healthiest carbs you can have. Adding them to an omelette, tuna salad etc

Quote from: jadis on Jul 21, 2023, 05:36 PMAny of y'all like beets? I discovered that you can buy them peeled and cooked, which is a game changer. And apparently it's one of the best, healthiest carbs you can have. Adding them to an omelette, tuna salad etc

I love beets, either baked and just part of a dinner, as a salad spread on a slice of bread or sliced and pickled and eaten either with a paté or in a rakfisk-wrap (fermented trout).

Yeah beets are great, the mister loves fried beets as a lunchtime side dish and I've frequently used them in salads and pasta dishes. We are definitely a beet household.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

We had shrimps for dinner. Shraamp!!

My parents used to eat shrimp every Friday fairly regular for a number of years and always fresh from the boat and cleaned / picked by hand. In the south of Norway, that's generally how people get them.

I usually just eat them on white bread with mayonnaise, but spruced it up a bit today with dill and some finely chopped onion which was surprisingly good.

How do you like your carideans?

What are the little ones that are soft? Prawns? I don't mind them in seafood sauce in a sandwich but that's about it.

There are bigger ones that are more tough and a but stringy and I don't like those.

A lot of people like them in curries. I haven't made a curry in a long time but hopefully soon I will make one. Getting me excited now thinking about it.

Only God knows.