#120 Mar 30, 2023, 10:30 PM Last Edit: Mar 30, 2023, 10:45 PM by Toy Revolver
Quotethey just don't understand that it's a change for the better

quoting myself

and to synth - yeah they're not really losing anything - they're gaining something if they are willing to learn

it's hard to say this with the right finesse

it's kind of like a child that has been taught cruelty by their parent - to help with a successful reform it helps to understand that however simplistic and obviously morally correct it might seem to their mentor actually making the change isn't easy for the cruel child

it's not obvious who is responsible to do what and how we (if i may include myself) should react in real life interactions with bigots but even in a case of violent self defense- if it was needed it should still be understood that they are a product of their situation

with desantis though no emotional quarter should be allowed because he's an active knowing instigator of hatred for self-serving purposes - he's not confused or in need of reform -

it's very difficult to express what i'm trying to say

#121 Mar 30, 2023, 11:38 PM Last Edit: Mar 31, 2023, 03:19 AM by Nimbly9
I think the core of the right-wing reaction against trans people is more of a rejection of transhumanism and the extreme abstraction of gender identity / fluidity that comes along with that territory.  It's less of a reaction per-se to specific individuals and their experiences (which is why you see plenty of right-wing people following Blaire White for example) and more of a reaction to them hearing stuff from their left wing opponents such as "men can give birth", "biology doesn't matter", etc. etc. and other rhetoric that they feel is fundamentally antagonistic to their own lived experiences as men and women and what they believe to be hard, non-negotiable science and language (which is why they are against all the different pronouns as well).

Essentially, they see their stance as a rejection of secular paradigms that are harmful to their definition of humanity, the family unit, etc. You'll see this rejection of transhumanism in right-wing people regardless of their race or socio-economic status as well.  It's a consistent theme.

I personally think that most of them don't really care or not if the things they oppose are going to harm them in some way in their day-to-day lives  - they look at transhumanistic trends (and the moral acceptance of those ideas) in secular society as a "slippery slope" that needs to be mitigated or pushed back on from various fronts. 

Anyone could tell them that their hardline culture war is a waste of time in this era though - the medical technology / procedures they would love to point trans people to don't exist. There is no magic procedure that can "reverse" whatever it is that causes various states of dysphoria anyway, which is why gender affirming care in some form or fashion is the only feasible direction for the foreseeable future.  It's a viable option in a world without perfect solutions and/or miracles. The bigots are just gonna have to get over it. 

Of course there's a lot more nuance to this than I'm willing to dive into here, and while there are legitimate concerns about some of the science around gender affirming care for young kids and such, it doesn't justify the kind of vitriol that gets thrown around by people on the Right and even some supposed Feminists.

I agree with previous statements that religion is part of this, both in a conscious and unconscious sense.  The problem isn't limited to Christianity though.  As far as I know, every world religion except perhaps SIkhism doesn't have a particularly positive view of anything outside of the heteronormativity that the vast majority identify as.

As Troll pointed out, the proliferation of the Internet and the fact that every voice out there can get amplified in various ways is also exacerbating things.  Individual incidents that the far right and far left people do (but may  not be necessarily representative of X thing on the whole) get highlighted and turned into flashpoints to galvanize anger for clicks.

You can also blame Jerry Springer for pushing the idea into culture that trans people are trying to trick heterosexual people or w/e. So much of our popular culture has pushed the idea of some "other" being an enemy to X or Y group that it kinda astounds me that we all coexist with eachother as well as we do.

FYI, I'm speaking about all this purely based on observation.  I don't advocate any viewpoint that's discriminatory against others. Just trying to provide a little clarity since it is a complicated topic.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/07/politics/rebekah-jones-desantis-florida-son-arrest/index.html

desantis has been targeting this woman and her family since she reported on him releasing false covid data

this is just using a goon squad to go after her son

if you know the backstory you'll know what i'm saying is true

Yeah I remember that one. Fucking arsehole; guns and everything as if she were some armed terrorist.
It's darkly amusing how they say due to the kid's age they can't publish his name, but furnish you with every other clue: who his mother is, what age he is - I mean, how many thirteen-year old sons has she got? Gobshites.

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 08, 2023, 07:35 PMYeah I remember that one. Fucking arsehole; guns and everything as if she were some armed terrorist.
It's darkly amusing how they say due to the kid's age they can't publish his name, but furnish you with every other clue: who his mother is, what age he is - I mean, how many thirteen-year old sons has she got? Gobshites.

they have to run the story though

this is going to pass soon

QuoteThe bills would expose people to felony charges for sheltering, hiring and transporting undocumented immigrants; require hospitals to ask patients their immigration status and report to the state; invalidate out-of-state driver's licenses issued to undocumented immigrants; and direct the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to provide assistance to federal authorities in enforcing the nation's immigration laws.

Under the proposed new bills, a person could be charged with a third-degree felony for knowingly transporting, concealing or harboring undocumented immigrants, punishable by up to five years in prison. While sponsors have said the legislation is not intended to target ordinary Floridians in their day-to-day lives, its potential applications are broad, legal analysts said: An American adult child of an undocumented immigrant driving a parent, a lawyer driving a client to court or someone driving a sports team that had a player without U.S. legal status could be exposed to criminal charges.

Similarly, the law could also apply to a landlord who rents property to an undocumented family or someone who has an undocumented person living in their home, such as a housekeeper or caretaker.

Quote from: SGR on Apr 15, 2023, 02:01 AMMAGA Attack Ad Rips Into Ron DeSantis' Gross Pudding Habits

i'f rather kill myself than work until i'm 70 -

i'd vote for hitler before i voted for someone who thinks i should work until i'm 70

if the dems support that i'll vote republican

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Apr 15, 2023, 03:17 AM
Quote from: SGR on Apr 15, 2023, 02:01 AMMAGA Attack Ad Rips Into Ron DeSantis' Gross Pudding Habits

i'd vote for hitler before i voted for someone who thinks i should work until i'm 70

I don't disagree (except probably on the Hitler part, but only retrospectively).

But I'm a millennial, so I'll be working until I die.

Quote from: SGR on Apr 15, 2023, 03:36 AM

I don't disagree (except probably on the Hitler part, but only retrospectively).

if you get stuck in a manual profession with long hours death you'll probably give out in your early sixties

the 70 thing is racist and classist af because the working poor can't last that long

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Apr 15, 2023, 04:34 AM
Quote from: SGR on Apr 15, 2023, 03:36 AM

if you get stuck in a manual profession with long hours death you'll probably give out in your early sixties

the 70 thing is racist and classist af because the working poor can't last that long

I'm a software engineer - so I may experience back problems due to sitting on my ass all day

Retirement kinda sucks anyway unless you got that sweet $$$.  If you have relatives, they're just going to shove you into a nursing home the first chance they get.

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Apr 15, 2023, 04:36 PMRetirement kinda sucks anyway unless you got that sweet $$$.  If you have relatives, they're just going to shove you into a nursing home the first chance they get.

yeah good point

i'll set up my venmo so you can send me your social security payout since it's such a burden

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Apr 15, 2023, 04:36 PMRetirement kinda sucks anyway unless you got that sweet $$$.  If you have relatives, they're just going to shove you into a nursing home the first chance they get.
boo to this post
Retirement age should certainly be adjusted to the type of work someone does

Quote from: Marie Monday on Apr 15, 2023, 07:15 PM
boo to this post
Retirement age should certainly be adjusted to the type of work someone does

i definitely think young people often have no clue how much elderly people suffer during physical labor

in america doctors won't even grant temporary disability to a person with a broken foot who has to stand all day

i'm not even talking about time off with pay but many walmart fast food type jobs...

yall know the story

people in their 70's with their backs and knees cracking standing there smiling ringing up the registers and then moping up before they leave - it's inhumane - it's savage and cruel and positively abusive

people say oh they want to work and yakity yak - people will say that when they have to work because you have to adopt that mentality or eat shotgun shells but try an experiment where you give people enough to live on and see who chooses easy days with a gentle walk and who chooses eight hours plus in some chain restaurant gulag

I wonder if AI and its advances will be what ultimately leads to UBI?