Quote from: jimmy jazz on Oct 17, 2023, 02:00 PMIs there some underlying health issue here that you haven't mentioned?

I vape, vapes have the research that they develop popcorn lung.  I am in fear I am developing popcorn lung.

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

Quote from: tristan_geoff on Oct 17, 2023, 03:58 PMI vape, vapes have the research that they develop popcorn lung.  I am in fear I am developing popcorn lung.

Its the diacetyl that has been linked to popcorn lung not the vaping itself.

And most liquids don't even contain diacetyl any more.

Cancer Research - https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/does-vaping-cause-popcorn-lung

NHS - https://www.nhs.uk/better-health/quit-smoking/vaping-to-quit-smoking/vaping-myths-and-the-facts/

Honestly you sound like you are having health anxiety and worrying yourself into a meltdown mate.

Only God knows.

Quote from: Guybrush on Oct 17, 2023, 03:49 PMQuitting smoking cold turkey isn't as hard as people imagine or make it out to be.
Please don't make assumptions of things you clearly know little about. It took me 10+ years to kick cigarettes and it's as hard if not harder than people make it out to be. I only quit cold turkey because otherwise I wouldn't quit.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Oct 17, 2023, 04:21 PMIts the diacetyl that has been linked to popcorn lung not the vaping itself.

And most liquids don't even contain diacetyl any more.

Cancer Research - https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/does-vaping-cause-popcorn-lung

NHS - https://www.nhs.uk/better-health/quit-smoking/vaping-to-quit-smoking/vaping-myths-and-the-facts/

Honestly you sound like you are having health anxiety and worrying yourself into a meltdown mate.

Hmm well the vapes I smoked have diacetyl

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

You're being extremely dismissing of something that I watched almost kill a friend

Quote from: tristan_geoff on Oct 17, 2023, 04:58 PMYou're being extremely dismissing of something that I watched almost kill a friend

You're making these claims and not really backing them up. Vaping itself does not cause popcorn lung but you've said you've seen how quickly it causes it. Even if we accept that it does, diacetyl exists in cigarettes at a higher rate so it wouldn't be worse than smoking.

I asked how you knew vaping was worse than smoking and you said "I personally made that call".

Like I said, you sound like you have some sort of health anxiety/paranoia.

https://ukhsa.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/20/clearing-up-some-myths-around-e-cigarettes/

QuoteMYTH 1 -  E-cigarettes give you 'popcorn lung'
One of the most commonly held concerns is that e-cigarettes might cause 'popcorn lung'. This came about because some flavourings used in e-liquids to provide a buttery flavour contain the chemical diacetyl, which at very high levels of exposure has been associated with the serious lung disease bronchiolitis obliterans.

The condition gained its popular name because it was initially observed among workers in a popcorn factory.

However, diacetyl is banned as an ingredient from e-cigarettes and e-liquids in the UK. It had been detected in some e-liquid flavourings in the past, but at levels hundreds of times lower than in cigarette smoke. Even at these levels, smoking is not a major risk factor for this rare disease.

Only God knows.

"Don't worry, keep vaping you'll live yay <3"

I personally made that call bc it can and does kill people a lot faster than a cigarette would normally.  Cancer takes time to develop in cases, but my friend developed popcorn lung within a year and a half of vaping.

Yeah you've personally made a lot of calls, doesn't mean they are true. You are still ignoring everything posted so there is no point discussing it further.

Only God knows.

i mean let's be honest, any kind of intake of anything related to smoking isn't great. let's not pretend that it isn't. however, it's also good to know facts versus fiction. i don't know who's wrong or right in this case but at the end of the day, we all either partake or don't partake in unhealthy activities and we only live once so who gives a fuck. smoke all you want. i'm so tired of seeing this constant holier than thou attitude that some of you seem to have. drop the act. we're all humans. flawed, but humans. if y'all arent arguing about this you're arguing about trolling at mb. it's annoying to read and quite honestly a big reason why i barely partake.

Quote from: Key on Oct 17, 2023, 04:48 PMPlease don't make assumptions of things you clearly know little about. It took me 10+ years to kick cigarettes and it's as hard if not harder than people make it out to be. I only quit cold turkey because otherwise I wouldn't quit.

Well, I only know about it from having done it.

What was your struggle like? How did you try to quit and how did it end up taking 10 years?

Would it have been easier any other way?

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Key on Oct 17, 2023, 06:10 PMi mean let's be honest, any kind of intake of anything related to smoking isn't great. let's not pretend that it isn't. however, it's also good to know facts versus fiction.

I agree with your fact vs fiction point but just to make something clear in case anyone is misunderstanding, I have not said or argued that vaping is safe. Just that it is safer than smoking, in the context of a smoker moving on to vapes. If you're a non smoker and you take up vaping that's obviously not healthy.

And also, vaping isn't smoking so they shouldn't be lumped together as if they are the same.

Only God knows.

Quote from: Guybrush on Oct 17, 2023, 06:16 PMWell, I only know about it from having done it.

What was your struggle like? How did you try to quit and how did it end up taking 10 years?

Would it have been easier any other way?

Nah I know I apologize if my post came off a bit crass. I woke up cranky. I tried to quit many times and the only reason I quit cold turkey is because I know myself mentally. If I give myself even a little taste of something I'm trying to get away from, i'll latch onto it immediately. My family has a history of highly addictive personalities. My older brother has been in rehab for over half my life and multiple family members have died due to drug abuse of some kind. If I want to better myself, the only way I can do it is cold turkey. While eventually it wasn't hard to quit, it got to the point where smoking cigarettes was making me sick. Up until that point my addiction was leading the journey. So unfortunately yeah it took me until I got sick to finally put an end to it.

I can't answer whether it'd been easier any other way since I didn't do it any other way but for someone like me with an addictive personality, quitting cold turkey is the ONLY way.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Oct 17, 2023, 06:17 PMI agree with your fact vs fiction point but just to make something clear in case anyone is misunderstanding, I have not said or argued that vaping is safe. Just that it is safer than smoking, in the context of a smoker moving on to vapes. If you're a non smoker and you take up vaping that's obviously not healthy.

And also, vaping isn't smoking so they shouldn't be lumped together as if they are the same.

That's fair. I would argue that any sort of intake of any kind could be considered smoking but to each their own. The only knowledge I have of vaping is that whole deal that was made about it years ago I think. I've never dont it myself and probably never will. I have weed. Not like that's any better, hell it's probably worse tbh.

Quote from: Key on Oct 17, 2023, 06:27 PMI tried to quit many times and the only reason I quit cold turkey is because I know myself mentally. If I give myself even a little taste of something I'm trying to get away from, i'll latch onto it immediately. My family has a history of highly addictive personalities. My older brother has been in rehab for over half my life and multiple family members have died due to drug abuse of some kind. If I want to better myself, the only way I can do it is cold turkey. While eventually it wasn't hard to quit, it got to the point where smoking cigarettes was making me sick. Up until that point my addiction was leading the journey. So unfortunately yeah it took me until I got sick to finally put an end to it.

I can't answer whether it'd been easier any other way since I didn't do it any other way but for someone like me with an addictive personality, quitting cold turkey is the ONLY way.

To be fair, a reason it was easy or seemed easy to me is I had been struggling with an anxiety that I was fighting, sometimes second by second, by exposure therapy and other techniques. By the time I was ready to quit smoking, I had gotten very used to forcing myself to do things I didn't want to do.  Compared to fighting my anxiety, fighting my urge to smoke seemed very easy to me at the time.

Otherwise, I'm a bit like you. I find it difficult to moderate myself (sometimes also with alcohol), but I'm very good at saying no and sticking with it.

Quote from: Key on Oct 17, 2023, 06:27 PMNah I know I apologize if my post came off a bit crass. I woke up cranky.

No worries, mate :beer:

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Oct 17, 2023, 06:43 PMTo be fair, a reason it was easy or seemed easy to me is I had been struggling with an anxiety that I was fighting, sometimes second by second, by exposure therapy and other techniques. By the time I was ready to quit smoking, I had gotten very used to forcing myself to do things I didn't want to do.  Compared to fighting my anxiety, fighting my urge to smoke seemed very easy to me at the time.

Otherwise, I'm a bit like you. I find it difficult to moderate myself (sometimes also with alcohol), but I'm very good at saying no and sticking with it.

That's completely understandable and honestly congrats on having the strength to tell yourself to stop and keep it. It's not an easy thing and as someone who also suffers with anxiety i sympathize but again I'm happy to hear how you have prevailed over it.