I got something to say
I killed a baby today

- The Misfits, Last Caress

So what are some lyrical lines or phrases that you find stupid, off-putting or perhaps misplaced?

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 25, 2023, 01:27 AMI got something to say
I killed a baby today

- The Misfits, Last Caress

I've never thought of those lyrics as dumb, just funny.  :laughing:

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again

—Richard Harris, "MacArthur Park"

I have probably complained about Rocket man om MB already, but it's worth mentioning again.

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them
If you did

- Elton John, Rocket Man

What exactly is the child rearing scenario that Elton imagines here, that you'd send your kids to Mars without joining them when there's noone else there? 🤔

I like the song, but get distracted by this silliness every time I hear it.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 26, 2023, 02:41 AMI have probably complained about Rocket man om MB already, but it's worth mentioning again.

If you did

- Elton John, Rocket Man

What exactly is the child rearing scenario that Elton imagines here, that you'd send your kids to Mars without joining them when there's noone else there? 🤔

That lyric always felt awkward to me as well. Like, if, as the third line says, no one is there to raise them, then who would be doing the hypothetical raising referenced in the first line? Very confusing.

One that's always bugged me, courtesy of Harry Nilsson:

"Two can be as bad as one, it's the loneliest number since the number one"

If there's one thing that really cheeses me off, it's rhyming a word with the same word.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 26, 2023, 02:41 AMI have probably complained about Rocket man om MB already, but it's worth mentioning again.

If you did

- Elton John, Rocket Man

I agree. I've always thought Bernie Taupin was one of the luckiest people alive for making so much money off of such lame lyrics.

Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 25, 2023, 10:58 PMSomeone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again

—Richard Harris, "MacArthur Park"

I love this by the way, so melodramatic 😄

I recently saw Richard Harris in the Clint Eastwood movie Unforgiven. He was pretty good!

Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 26, 2023, 07:45 AMI agree. I've always thought Bernie Taupin was one of the luckiest people alive for making so much money off of such lame lyrics.

Yes, and he's not entirely incapable either. I like Indian Sunset f.ex. but he really dropped the ball on Rocket Man.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jul 26, 2023, 03:01 AMThat lyric always felt awkward to me as well. Like, if, as the third line says, no one is there to raise them, then who would be doing the hypothetical raising referenced in the first line? Very confusing.

One that's always bugged me, courtesy of Harry Nilsson:

"Two can be as bad as one, it's the loneliest number since the number one"

If there's one thing that really cheeses me off, it's rhyming a word with the same word.

I love me some Nilsson and have noticed the same 😄 we're also in agreement on rhyming words with itself as a special kind of lyrical laziness.

Which reminds me of:

Candy came from out on the Island
In the back room she was everybody's darling
But she never lost her head
Even when she was giving head

- Walk On The Wild Side, Lou Reed

Come on, Lou!

"She got a big booty so I call her Big Booty"
- 2 Chainz

Anything by lil Wayne.

When my boyfriend and I started dating we would look up lil Wayne lyrics to laugh at when we were hungover 😂.

"I'm an extension cord, I'm a lightning rod
I'm a lion roar, I'm a dinosaur."

Oh man, Lil Wayne has so many awful ones, yeah. I think a lot of his are fun for a laugh but I'm definitely not laughing with him, haha. A lot of the time it feels like he just throws in a random word just because it rhymes and not because it makes any semblance of sense.

"Swagger tighter than a yeast infection, fly, go hard like geese erection"

Truly a wordsmith for the ages.

Oh lord I've not seen that one before. What the fuck 😂. I don't know if he's trying to be funny or not but if he is we are laughing at him not with him 😂😂.

I love The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get by Morrissey. It's one of his best songs. But it's also stupid, weird and rampantly narcissistic.

I will be on the bar
With my head on the bar

The point of the song is he's so irresistible that resistance to the attraction you might feel towards him is futile. Besides repeating the word "bar", I can't see why someone in a bar with his head on the bar is so charming. Wouldn't that be someone who's asleep or very drunk?

But if anyone can serve you up that sort of imagery of themselves and still creep into your thoughts like a bad debt that you can't pay.. well, it would be Morrissey.

I always found this one to be somewhat annoying:

In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

- A Horse With No Name by America

They had to squeeze the extra "for" in there. That can't be right?

Hardly the worst offender that's been listed - but "Better Things" from Massive Attack's Protection. I love the song, love the group, and love the album, but these lines have always made me wince:

You say the magic's gone
Well i'm not a magician
You say the spark's gone
Well get an electrician

That silly Beach Boys song.

It should be Only God Knows!

Only God knows.