'Slowly walking down the hall
Faster than a cannonball'

Oasis of course.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Aug 31, 2023, 04:07 PM'Slowly walking down the hall
Faster than a cannonball'

Oasis of course.

Ya know, I never noticed how stupid that lyric was until I saw it written out like that, haha.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jul 31, 2023, 01:02 PM"She got a big booty so I call her Big Booty"
- 2 Chainz

:laughing: Yeah, that's just terrible, Mrs. Waffles !

Quote from: Guybrush on Aug 31, 2023, 02:45 PMI always found this one to be somewhat annoying:

In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

- A Horse With No Name by America

They had to squeeze the extra "for" in there. That can't be right?

Yes, that's not right at all, Guybrush, and they have managed to squeeze three grammar errors into one line. But even so, that is just one example of a song that has plenty of other dumb lyrics:-

There were plants and birds and rocks and things
There was sand and hills and rings

....The heat was hot....

After two days in the desert sun
My skin began to turn red
And after three days in the desert fun
I was looking at a river bed

It still bugs me that this song was such a smash hit despite its childish, abysmal lyrics.  :rage:

I learnt a long time ago that the best way to enjoy an Oasis song is to pay as little attention as possible to the lyrics, but this "sister/blister" rhyme (from She's Electric) is just too annoying to ignore:-
She's got a sister
And God only knows how I've missed her
And on the palm of her hand is a blister
And I need more time

EDIT: That's a real coincidence, jimmy jazz!! I was just writing my own post about Oasis, when you "ninja-ed" me with one of your own :laughing:
How odd that half a world apart, we are both getting annoyed about Oasis !

To get lost is to learn the way.

The thing that always kind of grated on me was like, why couldn't that dude just give the horse a name.

'Paradise is very nice'

Ll Cool J.

Surely he of all people is capable of better than that? A five year old could have written that.

@Lisnaholic that's another good one. Tbh you could post about fifty for Oasis. They've got some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard.

Only God knows.

Oasis lyrics are absolutely terrible
The Beach Boys' lyrics have a kind of naive charm that makes them work imo

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Aug 31, 2023, 04:44 PM'Paradise is very nice'

Ll Cool J.

Surely he of all people is capable of better than that? A five year old could have written that.

That's like an even worse version of the similar part in Dana Carvey's "choppin' broccoli" sketch.  :laughing:

Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 25, 2023, 10:58 PMSomeone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again

—Richard Harris, "MacArthur Park"

For me, this was a song where songwriter Jimmy Webb had some fabulous first lines that he didn't know how to follow up:

"MacArthur Park is melting in the dark..." = Not only a wonderful, surreal image, but a nice run of "ar-ar-ar" vowel sounds
"Someone left a cake out in the rain" = Another odd, melancholic snapshot, but Jimmy Webb didn't know where to take it, so the lyrics fall off pretty sharply, ultimately inviting Janszoon's disapproval - which is something no songwriter wants to incur ;)

Mind you, isn't it the case that our judgement on the lyrics is usually pre-empted by our judgement on the song ?
Like the song, and you'll tolerate the lyrics - which is how I feel about most Yes songs.
Don't like the song, and the lyrics will bug you each time you hear it - which is the case for me with Corporal Klegg. Although he improved later in life, here's Roger Waters demonstrating that he is no Syd Barratt:-

Corporal Clegg had a wooden leg
He won it in the war, in 1944
Corporal Clegg had a medal too
In orange, red, and blue
He found it in the zoo

Not necessarily a dumb lyric per se, but while we're on the subject of Oasis one of my personal least favorite lyrics:

"The sink is full of fishes, she's got dirty dishes on the brain".

Maybe it's just because it's too real for someone like me, but the last thing I want to think about when I'm listening to a song I enjoy is the imagery of a grimy sink full of fish, in any sense of what that could mean.

Not the worst Oasis lyric, but it sticks out like a sore thumb in what is otherwise one of my favorite songs of theirs.

I might have complained about this one before but I'd like to submit
the ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face
in Bob Dylan's Visions of Johanna. What a twat.
Also in the same song:
He's sure got a lotta gall to be so useless and all
Muttering small talk at the wall while I'm in the hall

I actually like the first line and then he just ruins it

Quote from: Marie Monday on Aug 31, 2023, 05:57 PMI might have complained about this one before but I'd like to submit
the ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face
in Bob Dylan's Visions of Johanna. What a twat.

^ That's an interesting choice Marie Monday!
I used to think that that was a great line from Bob, and it was much admired at the time, I believe.
What, to me, is good about it: It was unlike anybody else's lyrics at that time. It's line with vivid language, even if it doesn't convey anything precise. In fact it seems to revel in the sound of words for their own sake, rather in the style of the writer he famously admired: Dylan Thomas
What's not so good: It is seriously overblown.

Here's a lyric that I've hated for years, and so have probably mentioned before: Boney M's Rasputin:-

Ra ra Rasputin
Lover of the Russian queen
They didn't quit, they wanted his head
Ra ra Rasputin
Russia's greatest love machine
And so they shot him 'til he was dead

The main problem to me is the whole idea of choosing Rasputin as the subject for a dancey pop song, then tagging his name to "Rah! Rah!", like an American cheerleaders' chant.