Quote from: SGR on Feb 26, 2024, 08:10 PMI'm big into feudal Japan - I love the clothing, the armor, the samurais, the architecture, the environment, the hierarchies etc. Just a fascinating time and place. So I'm really looking forward to watching this new show, 'Shogun'.

I remember the book and miniseries were really popular when I was a kid, but I've never read or watched them. I'm curious how this will be.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

#91 Feb 26, 2024, 08:33 PM Last Edit: Feb 26, 2024, 08:41 PM by SGR
Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 26, 2024, 08:28 PMI remember the book and miniseries were really popular when I was a kid, but I've never read or watched them. I'm curious how this will be.

I've never read the book or seen the mini-series, but count me as interested. The show has already been getting rave critical reviews. I don't have cable so I'm gonna be stuck waiting for them to upload the series (hopefully, as the episodes air) on Hulu.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/shogun_2024/s01/reviews

Here's the trailer if you haven't seen it. The set and production values look outstanding:

Yeah, I'm hyped. I'm also big into action games set in feudal Japan, and one of my favorite studios that makes those games is Team Ninja - who happen to be releasing their big new open-world game set in 19th century war-torn Japan in less than a month - so I'm gonna be eating good.

I just finished watching Griselda tonight. I had no previous knowledge of her, so I really enjoyed the story. I also read once I had finished, that the Netflix show stayed quite true to the real story. I would definitely recommend it.

Quote from: FETCHER. on Apr 09, 2024, 12:15 AMI just finished watching Griselda tonight. I had no previous knowledge of her, so I really enjoyed the story. I also read once I had finished, that the Netflix show stayed quite true to the real story. I would definitely recommend it.

Is that about the Colombian drug cartel boss?

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 09, 2024, 12:18 AMIs that about the Colombian drug cartel boss?

Yess that's the one. I found it really interesting. It's only 6 episodes as well which I thought was a bonus. 

Quote from: FETCHER. on Apr 09, 2024, 12:23 AMYess that's the one. I found it really interesting. It's only 6 episodes as well which I thought was a bonus. 

I remember watching a documentary or something about her quite a few years ago and she seemed pretty brutal. 

I've both read Shogun and seen the original miniseries (not seen this new one yet) and enjoyed both immensely. Watched Platform 7, about a girl who dies and wakes up in a train station, with no knowledge of how she died. Really good, only 4 episodes, highly recommended. Also Blackshore, an Irish murder drama, really good too. Watched the end of True Detective: Night Country. Did not like the ending. They say it's the best since season one, but I strongly disagree. Looking forward to The Regime, started yesterday.

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 09, 2024, 04:21 AMWatched the end of True Detective: Night Country. Did not like the ending. They say it's the best since season one, but I strongly disagree.

I thought season one was completely ruined by the last episode or two, so I feel like I should probably skip the new one too. 

Night Country was very good, but I agree the last episode was somewhat weak.

We've been watching the latest season of Curb. The episode we watched yesterday, Ken/Kendra, was comedy gold 😂

Happiness is a warm manatee

What I'm watching rn is Daria, I recommend it's one of my favorite shows. Also, Atlanta it's a pretty good show; Donald Glover/Childish Gambino is in it he makes good music.

"I am the son
And the heir
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar"

Quote from: steezy405 on Apr 12, 2024, 06:58 PMWhat I'm watching rn is Daria, I recommend it's one of my favorite shows. Also, Atlanta it's a pretty good show; Donald Glover/Childish Gambino is in it he makes good music.

I watched the first season and had a hard time getting into it. The second episode was great, but then I felt like it went downhill fast.

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 12, 2024, 07:08 PMI watched the first season and had a hard time getting into it. The second episode was great, but then I felt like it went downhill fast.

I agree with that a lot of stuff happened pretty quickly.

"I am the son
And the heir

Didn't realize Night Country was only 6 episodes so two nights ago I binged it.

I don't mind the ending and don't see it as a deterrent to not watch the entire season.

I started FallOut and wow what an opening. I'm gonna enjoy this show.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: steezy405 on Apr 12, 2024, 06:58 PMWhat I'm watching rn is Daria, I recommend it's one of my favorite shows. Also, Atlanta it's a pretty good show; Donald Glover/Childish Gambino is in it he makes good music.

Atlanta can be hit or miss, but the good stuff is fantastic and I applaud their courage to experiment and try new things.

I liked Daria as a teenager, but when I rewatched it much later, the title character was too much of an annoying little bitch to enjoy the show.

Quote from: grindy on Apr 13, 2024, 10:16 AMAtlanta can be hit or miss, but the good stuff is fantastic and I applaud their courage to experiment and try new things.

I liked Daria as a teenager, but when I rewatched it much later, the title character was too much of an annoying little bitch to enjoy the show.

I agree Atlanta can get messy but overall it's a pretty good show. I can see your vision with Daria like I hated Brittany's voice it pissed me off because it was way to high pitched also Quinn was kind of bitchy.

"I am the son
And the heir