Quote from: Rubber Soul on May 07, 2023, 03:16 PMNo payphones are an inconvenience if you don't have a cell phone. Of course, mostof us do these days, but I was slow to get on the bandwagon. Can't say that was fun.
lol @ the "bandwagon"

I feel like anyone who is stubborn enough to still not have a smart phone in this day and age has more than earned the inconvenience of being stranded without a phone. Pulling out a flip phone is like the modern equivalent of being amish.

I GOT 3 WRONG!

https://x.com/mindys_stuff_

mindy_meme_agency

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

Mindy, you should do a thread just on Jeopardy questions. :D

The Word has spoken :D

Quote from: Rubber Soul on May 20, 2023, 01:31 PMMindy, you should do a thread just on Jeopardy questions. :D

https://x.com/mindys_stuff_

mindy_meme_agency

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

having diabetes fucking sucks

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 24, 2023, 03:01 AMhaving diabetes fucking sucks

Agreed.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

So... I tend to wake up and check my phone in the middle of the night occasionally. I almost always get right back to sleep but this morning I woke up at 3 AM, checked SCD and noticed that the most recently joined member's username was "Carlton Parrot". Carlton is my fiance's middle name (sorry, dear!), so I was a bit taken by surprise and wondered if he had decided to join the forum. I'm sure that's not the case, but I was so surprised that now I can't get back to sleep, haha.

And to Carlton Parrot, welcome to the forum!

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

lexi you love your husband so much idk if i'm happy for you, afraid for you, or both

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 24, 2023, 12:12 PMlexi you love your husband so much idk if i'm happy for you, afraid for you, or both

I know I do come off as lovey-dovey and maybe a bit clingy. It's just kind of the way I am honestly. I like to cherish our time together in this relationship, I do get very enthusiastic about it so I understand how others may see it as a bit much.

I appreciate that you're looking out for me.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on May 24, 2023, 10:45 AMSo... I tend to wake up and check my phone in the middle of the night occasionally. I almost always get right back to sleep but this morning I woke up at 3 AM, checked SCD and noticed that the most recently joined member's username was "Carlton Parrot". Carlton is my fiance's middle name (sorry, dear!), so I was a bit taken by surprise and wondered if he had decided to join the forum. I'm sure that's not the case, but I was so surprised that now I can't get back to sleep, haha.

And to Carlton Parrot, welcome to the forum!

Maybe it's actually Alfonso Ribeiro.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on May 24, 2023, 12:41 PMI know I do come off as lovey-dovey and maybe a bit clingy. It's just kind of the way I am honestly. I like to cherish our time together in this relationship, I do get very enthusiastic about it so I understand how others may see it as a bit much.

I appreciate that you're looking out for me.

it's never wrong to love deeply

it just makes you so vulnerable

but that's the way life is

i'm afraid to love my new dog as much as may last one because i know how it ends but how can i be too cowardly to love

Mrs. Waffles has such a pure heart.

Only God knows.

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 24, 2023, 12:12 PMlexi you love your husband so much idk if i'm happy for you, afraid for you, or both

Funny related story: I was texting my sister this morning and according to her I talked so much about my man that my sister "gave me an F and a 'see me after class' on the Bechdel test" which is such an incredibly perfect roast that I had to share it, haha.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on May 25, 2023, 04:33 PMFunny related story: I was texting my sister this morning and according to her I talked so much about my man that my sister "gave me an F and a 'see me after class' on the Bechdel test" which is such an incredibly perfect roast that I had to share it, haha.

only semi-related but i think something we have in common finding pleasure in and embracing domesticity

when i prepare food for the week for my wife and myself it feels like the most meaningful work i've ever done

and as usual i'll ramble on a bit but one thing i enjoy about restaurant work over teaching is the undeniable end product

same as preparing meals at home

our big bottom shelf freezer is about to be lined with healthy smoothies

the tangible result is rewarding compared to an abstract like teaching and i guess that's ironic because teaching is supposed to be so rewarding

there are moments when teaching is very rewarding

one time a girl that i knew came from a very poor family was not on pace to graduate on time and her mother had cancer and she told me how much she wanted her mother to see her graduate because she was dying - i used my planning period everyday for two months to see to it that she earned the credits she needed using "course recovery" on the last day of school when she said "thank you" it was a great moment for me - another kid gave me his ICP hat on the last day of school and said i was the only teacher that was ever nice to him - other kids said that too

restaurant work can't compete with that but those things are so far and few between they don't keep your morale up as much as making a huge batch of perfect crab cakes everyday

weird, i know

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 25, 2023, 05:29 PMonly semi-related but i think something we have in common finding pleasure in and embracing domesticity

when i prepare food for the week for my wife and myself it feels like the most meaningful work i've ever done

Oh, we definitely have that in common. My sister and I helped my mom in the kitchen and around the house in general when we were kids, and that's kinda where I built up those domestic skills. But having a nice house and a person who appreciates me that I can put a lot of myself into supporting at home, that's something that really inspires me and it's what helped me really fall in love with being a good homemaker and hostess.

If I were able I'd quit my job and be a stay-at-home like my mom, but ultimately I think my current situation of part time work, being able to bring in some money and keep up with work experience, is a good safe compromise.

Quoteand as usual i'll ramble on a bit but one thing i enjoy about restaurant work over teaching is the undeniable end product

same as preparing meals at home

our big bottom shelf freezer is about to be lined with healthy smoothies

the tangible result is rewarding compared to an abstract like teaching and i guess that's ironic because teaching is supposed to be so rewarding

there are moments when teaching is very rewarding

one time a girl that i knew came from a very poor family was not on pace to graduate on time and her mother had cancer and she told me how much she wanted her mother to see her graduate because she was dying - i used my planning period everyday for two months to see to it that she earned the credits she needed using "course recovery" on the last day of school when she said "thank you" it was a great moment for me - another kid gave me his ICP hat on the last day of school and said i was the only teacher that was ever nice to him - other kids said that too

restaurant work can't compete with that but those things are so far and few between they don't keep your morale up as much as making a huge batch of perfect crab cakes everyday

weird, i know

I totally get you. For me the fulfilling and rewarding moments are when I'm working hard to make our home, our relationship and our lives as comfortable as I can, and bringing both of us that comfort, that inspires me to keep doing it. So I'm totally with you. My actual job is kinda whatever, it's there to pay the bills. But doing work for us, work I can really put all of myself into, that's the most rewarding work for me.