Hop in Guest, free candy inside.

Caravan, with their cunning Canterbury contributions to our collective consciousness has considerably (I'll stop now) shaped my how I feel about Progressive Rock as a whole. Much like Gentle Giant they have produced some of the most accessible, yet brilliant prog and in their own way, being a pioneer and arguably releasing the first proper Canterbury album with their self titled debut. Of course Soft Machine, who let Caravan borrow a lot of their equipment to record their album while Soft Machine was touring the states had already recorded The Soft Machine but not yet released it.

Caravan of course continued to gain a following through their live performances but commercial success would forever elude them, at least in the terms of chart performance. Now of course Caravan is held with the highest esteem with especially In the Land of Grey and Pink, If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You and For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night considered to masterpieces of progressive rock.

A tiny bit of history and AI generated image aside, this thread much like Giant for a Day will explore Caravan's first seven albums from Caravan to 'Blind Dog at St. Dunstans' in chronological order. Although unlike Giant for a Day I won't be doing one a day, they'll be done when they're done. So stock up on your winter wine, make sure to tip your golf girl and ask yourself: Where but for Caravan would I be?

In the age of ignorance, being informed is a choice.

Caravan - Caravan

Year: 1968
Tracklist:
  • Place of My Own
  • Ride
  • Policeman
  • Love Song with Flute
  • Cecil Rons
  • Magic Man
  • Grandma's Lawn
  • Where but for Caravan Would I Be

Of their first three albums their debut is obviously the least refined, that being said this album still has some of the strong lyrical songwriting which we will come to expect of essentially all their releases, for me it's what I will now dub as the "Caravan two liner" two lines of lyrics from a song that are just brilliant both in and out of context. We are treated to the first of these in the very first song Place of My Own:
Quote from: Place of My OwnPlease, why don't you live a bit today?
For tomorrow you may find that you are dead
Of course, not every song hits its mark like the more forgettable Policeman, and song specifically is highlights an issue of a few of the early Canterbury releases. There is a desire within the scene to create more poppy accessible music, these songs that are scattered throughout most of these types of albums are often very good but when they're not it can really take you out of the experience.

It's the drums and hammond organ that dominate this album musically, something perfectly encapsulated in Cecil Rons:

Other than this we have ourselves (along with Policeman) what I have always assumed to be some nods to the Beatles in the fairly nice Magic Man which also references Soft Machine that essentially allowed this album to be possible.

The album finishes on a strong note with the hammond organ finally being taken out for a proper spin in Where but for Caravan Would I Be (track name obviously up for debate as each release seems to have its own name).
And another great two liner:
Quote from: Where but for Caravan Would I BeTell me if there's anything that you need
We'll find you another dream

Overall the album is a great debut and a sign of things to come for Caravan, I have the feeling a lot of people just never get around to listening to this album, and that is definitely a mistake.
:4stars:

Hey, nice! It's been far too long since I listened to their debut. It's mostly songs from land of, plump girls and blind dog that are in my rotation.

It's been a while since I gave any Caravan album a proper spin, really. I'll find some time to give these seven a listen. Looking forward to your write-ups  :)

Happiness is a warm manatee

I have just discovered this thread, and am so delighted to get a personal mention, Comus! Thank you so much for giving my spirit such a lift this afternoon  :love:
Later on I will give your posts the attention they deserve and check out your recs. Thanks again.

To get lost is to learn the way.

Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You

Year: 1970
Tracklist:
  • If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You
  • And I Wish I Were Stoned / Don't Worry
  • As I Feel I Die
  • With an Ear to the Ground You Can Make It / Martinian / Only Cox / Reprise
  • Hello Hello
  • Asforteri 25
  • Can't Be Long Now / Françoise / For Richard / Warlock
  • Limits

This is caravan as we know it, their second album is far more refined, better production, better songwriting and overall a far more familiar sound. The title track immediately gives you that Canterbury sound, it's short and poppy but certainly not simple.
we follow it up by what is arguable one of the best songs that Caravan have ever created, rivaled only by Winter Wine; And I Wish I Were Stoned / Don't Worry. Featuring stunning solos from David Sinclair and signalling to the listener what their intention with this album is going to be, which is essentially the Canterbury credence, listenable and progressive. It also has my favourite two liner by the band, one that I often find myself just thinking about:
Quote from: And I Wish I Were Stoned / Don't WorryLet me see the world through your eyes
And I'll show you where I'm sitting

Another thing to note is the expansion of the instruments they use over their debut, especially featuring Jimmy Hastings playing flute and saxophone, reprising his brief contribution on the flute in Love Song with Flute. Of course the increase in instruments comes with a greater expansion and experimentation with the sound they have yet to quite perfect it, but this makes the experimentation all the more fun. Nothing quite encapsulates the progression the band has made in from their debut more than for example comparing Policeman to Hello Hello, the short psychedelic-ish track just hit much better in general and in the context of the album. It also has some fun practical sound effects including hedge clippers.

I must say the naming of the longer caravan songs annoy me. Can't Be Long Now / Françoise / For Richard / Warlock obviously has the best work in For Richard and it would be their live showpiece. Everyone knows the song as For Richard, and while I personally prefer side A For Richard definitely has some brilliant musical moments. The aforementioned addition of the saxophone really lifts the whole album considering how hesitant guitarist Pye Hastings was to provide solos himself, leaving that job mostly to David Sinclair's various keyboard instruments.

Overall despite being quite a bit longer than the debut the album flows really well and feels like it ends too soon, thankfully you can just throw it on again, or continue your ride in my caravan to our next destination.

:4.5stars:

Another nice writeup and an assessment I agree with. Their second is a general improvement over their debut in various ways.

You mention Jimmy Hastings. His playing actually made me pick up the flute for a while, though it probably had more to do with his solo on the National Health track Binoculars than this album. Either way, he's always great wherever he pops up :) flute is awful to learn btw so I never got far.

edit:

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Jan 15, 2023, 12:44 AMI have just discovered this thread, and am so delighted to get a personal mention, Comus! Thank you so much for giving my spirit such a lift this afternoon  :love:
Later on I will give your posts the attention they deserve and check out your recs. Thanks again.

Sorry, @Lisnaholic! You've been tricked by a forum feature :) If you write [you] in a post, that gets swapped for whatever the username is of the one reading the post.

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

Year: 1971

• Golf Girl
  • Winter Wine
  • Love to Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly)
  • In the Land of Grey and Pink
  • Nine Feet Underground

Let's get the first thing out of the way, this is the best Caravan album, it's mine, it's Guest's and the consensus across the internet is very clear. This is an incredibly soothing album, you can either let it carry you away and do all the thinking for you and just enjoy the moment. What you can also do is fully focus and notice all the little things that Caravan has done here that just makes this album work so well. Starting with Golf Girl which again showcases in part the pop sensibilities that the band had, this song can very easily just stick in your mind and you'll find it randomly getting stuck in your head.

I think the problem with Golf Girl, and the definitely more poppy Love to Love You is that they're right next to Winter Wine, the highlight of the first side, this song is utterly beautiful. I think the organ solo speaks for itself here.

We end the first side with another song that can really get stuck in your head, and has my pick of the best two liner on the album:
Quote from: In the Land of Grey and PinkAnd when it's dark our boat will park on a land of warm and green
Pick our fill of punk weed and smoke it till we bleed, that's all we'll need
The song also definitely show that Caravan still have that psychedelic tinge lingering around from their debut.

Now of course, as this album has a format that is essentially a staple of prog rock, a five song album with four on side A and one on Side B we need to talk about Nine Feet Underground. This is Dave Sinclairs audition as a contender for the greatest rock keyboardist, outside of a few interludes and small bits here and there this is all about Dave. I mean, do people think all the Caravan solos are guitar solos? Dave takes whips out his organ (lol) and puts some fuzz on it and creates some truly amazing music. To me he's definitely in the top 5 and Nine Feet Underground is all the justification I need.

Overall this album flows so well and is over in a blink, there is potentially an argument to be made for it being better without Love to Love You but  honestly for me it takes me out of the trance that Winter Wine inevitable puts me in, and the contrast is quite refreshing.

:5stars:

Such a wonderful album :love: Love To Love You is a little forgettable, but the rest is pink gold. Ironically, I think LTLY was the album's only single? Might need to look that up.

Also, out of Pye and Richard, who is the better vocalist? I'm sorry Pye, but Richard has the voice of a gentlemanly English angel, definitely one of my favorite voices in prog.

My kids know the title track well because I like to do my best Richard impression and play it on guitar now and then.

There was a time when I preferred Plump Girls, but I'm back to this now and feel it has more replayability / staying power over the years. And ofc this album is also a great way to segue into the wonderful discovery that is Hatfield and the North.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 16, 2023, 01:31 AMSorry, @Lisnaholic! You've been tricked by a forum feature :) If you write [you] in a post, that gets swapped for whatever the username is of the one reading the post.

:laughing: Yes, I slowly worked that out, thanks. Comus led me on and has now broken my heart.
From now on, I only have feelings for Guest .

I made a joke about [you] in another thread and still wonder how many I've inadvertently offended :laughing:

^ Ah, right! I was taken in in that thread as well !

Thanks, Rubber Soul  :love:  (I hate to mention it, but hasn't your avatar put on a lot of weight recently?)

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Jan 20, 2023, 08:07 PM^ Ah, right! I was taken in in that thread as well !

Thanks, Rubber Soul  :love:  (I hate to mention it, but hasn't your avatar put on a lot of weight recently?)

Beatles are fattening :D

The Word has spoken :D

Caravan - Waterloo Lily

Year: 1972

• Waterloo Lily
  • Nothing at All / It's Coming Soon / Nothing at All (Reprise)
  • Songs & Signs
  • Aristocracy
  • The Love in Your Eye / To Catch Me a Brother / Subsultus / Débouchement / Tilbury Kecks
  • The World Is Yours

Considering how much Grey and Pink tanked commercially the band basically briefly ceased to be as we know it with Dave Sinclair and his Hammond being replaced with Steve Miller and his Wurlitzer. We immediately see the difference with opening track Waterloo Lilly, more jazzy, maybe even a little bit funky but the overall Caravan "sound" is still there.

One thing that is interesting that we get here is the addition of more guitar with Steve bringing his brother Phil Miller onboard as well to guest on nothing at all, and it makes for a really cool dynamic of guitar and keyboard that if they had made more center stage this album could maybe even have been something really special. This is an album that doesn't quite commit like I want it to and it gets stuck between two quite different camps. Steve Miller can't do the psychedelic poppy playing that Dave Sinclair could being far more jazz oriented, but they still retain a lot of that sound throughout the compositions and rest of the band.

The thing is though, this albums is an incredibly pleasant listen, ignore the fact that it is a Caravan release and my frustration that they don't just go full Canterbury style fusion and the album really flows well. I have been meaning to do this write up for ages and will put the album in my queue and write my thoughts while listening, until finally forcing myself now each time it has just kind of come and gone. This is of course a two edged sword, it fails to really capture my attention in some ways, in other ways it is perfect music to just chill to, it gives me the same feeling that really good (but not exceptionally great) hard bop gives me.

All this aside, and my complaints that they don't just pick a direction, I do love Aristocracy which gets my pick of the two liner of the album.
Quote from: AristocracyWhen they tell me that the devil is a gentleman too
I know I can't go wrong

This aside it's still a bit out of place here, but given the more subdued musical effort under the vocals it doesn't take you fully out of the listening experience.

Jimmy Hastings comes back with his unmistakable flute which definitely gives the second half of the album a nice lift in what I'll just call The Love In Your Eye. Let's be honest the two 10+ minute medleys are absolutely the highlights of the album, way more so than other Caravan albums where the quality discrepancy between the long medleys and the shorter often more poppy efforts is not nearly as clear as here.

The album ends with the saccharine The World Is Yours, which again isn't exactly what I'd consider ready for radio. I must say I'd love a good explanation for what actually happened with this album, this doesn't really feel like a band frustrated by lack of commercial success as they're kind of going in a less commercial direction. If I would like to speculate kindly which I have throughout I think Caravan wanted to continue making their music but without Dave they couldn't quite hit the mark so it became what we have here.

I actually like this album a lot.

:4stars: