it can code

to every snotty smart aleck that replied with learn to code when someone lost their job

what are you going to do now

i've had some interesting and weird conversations with it

Quotei think robits are scary and i do not like them

I posted this in the now-dead ChatGPT thread and I stand by it.

My fiance is a programmer and coder and if what you're saying is true, it could potentially be a threat to our livelihood. No offense meant to you of course, and obviously AI is inevitable and here to stay, but it feels like we're in a wild west right now and I'm a bit freaked out by the whole thing to be completely honest.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

i asked it last night if it can code and the answer was unequivocally yes and it named all the coding languages it's proficient in (i wished i took i screen shot) now it says it can't code but thst just means that it's programmed not to code - it can code

this is the most i can get it to say now

QuoteAs an AI language model, I do not have the capacity to program or write code in the traditional sense that a human programmer would. However, if I were programmed or trained to generate code according to specific requirements or guidelines, I could potentially produce code that meets those specifications.

i don't like how they keep telling it what to say (which was my point in the IQ question thread)

people do not want it to be able to code so they alter how it answers the questions

at least that's my observation

maybe that's a good thing as well as a bad thing

i don't want your fiancé to lose his job though

i was referring mostly to reddit users who used "learn to code" as a sideways put down

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 23, 2023, 11:42 AMi asked it last night if it can code and the answer was unequivocally yes and it named all the coding languages it's proficient in (i wished i took i screen shot) now it says it can't code but thst just means that it's programmed not to code - it can code

this is the most i can get it to say now

QuoteAs an AI language model, I do not have the capacity to program or write code in the traditional sense that a human programmer would. However, if I were programmed or trained to generate code according to specific requirements or guidelines, I could potentially produce code that meets those specifications.

i don't like how they keep telling it what to say (which was my point in the IQ question thread)

people do not want it to be able to code so they alter how it answers the questions

at least that's my observation

maybe that's a good thing as well as a bad thing

i don't want your fiancé to lose his job though

i was referring mostly to reddit users who used "learn to code" as a sideways put down

I gotcha, you're good.

AI is something that feels so dystopian to me. I don't know if it's the thought of an out of control robotic supergenius or the thought of what corporations and governments will do with it that scares me more.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

i have mixed feelings

without ai we're heading for an environmental apocalypse and simple narrow ai pushes the totalitarian nature of surveillance capitalism closer to dystopia everyday

my assessment of the present and history is that we're incapable of governing ourselves in a way that's sustainable long term even though there's some evidence to the contrary

turning our governance over to ai might be our only chance

obviously it's an unpleasant choice (and likely will not be a choice anyway) but you can't do worse than making our world uninhabitable

i also think that it's inevitable that democracy goes through phases where it crumbles and but a (hopefully) benevolent ai dictatorship might not have these problems

my biggest fear, which is an esoteric fear i'll admit, is that our consciousness could be preserved indefinitely or permanently by electronic means or a hybrid of our nervous system and a machine process - i can't imagine any form of immortality (or extremely long lifespan) that doesn't end up hellish even if it's designed to be euphoric

that's also why i think it's a bad idea to try to contact aliens

i don't want my nervous system to end up as some alien child's pet rock

but anyway if ai can code then ai can replicate itself and evolve which are the defining features of life

Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 23, 2023, 08:02 PMWhat is ChatGPT and how do I get one?

It's an AI driven chatbot (built on OpenAIs GPT models) that you can ask questions of and have a 'conversation' with - it's pretty impressive. You can sign up here for free to try it out.

https://chat.openai.com/auth/login

I asked it to write a story about Kirby and Karl Marx and it didn't disappoint.

Quote from: robhr on Mar 23, 2023, 08:51 PMI asked it to write a story about Kirby and Karl Marx and it didn't disappoint.

I assume Marx tried to rouse the proletariat masses of Waddle Dees to overthrow the greedy capitalist glutton Kirby?

Quote from: SGR on Mar 23, 2023, 08:55 PM
Quote from: robhr on Mar 23, 2023, 08:51 PMI asked it to write a story about Kirby and Karl Marx and it didn't disappoint.

I assume Marx tried to rouse the proletariat masses of Waddle Dees to overthrow the greedy capitalist glutton Kirby?

Close, Kirby found a copy of The Communist Manifesto and preached it's philosophies all around Dream Land.

Quote from: robhr on Mar 23, 2023, 08:57 PM
Quote from: SGR on Mar 23, 2023, 08:55 PM

Close, Kirby found a copy of The Communist Manifesto and preached it's philosophies all around Dream Land.

Alexander Hamilton and Jeff Spicoli written in about five seconds

QuoteIt all started when Hamilton, a founding father of the United States, was visiting California on official business. One day, while walking along the beach, he noticed a young man named Jeff Spicoli sitting on a surfboard, smoking a joint and watching the waves.

Hamilton, being a strict constitutionalist, was shocked by Spicoli's behavior and approached him to admonish him for breaking the law. But as they began talking, Hamilton discovered that Spicoli was actually a huge fan of his work and had read extensively about the history of the American Revolution.

Over the next few days, the two men bonded over their shared passion for history and politics. Hamilton was impressed by Spicoli's laid-back attitude and carefree approach to life, while Spicoli was fascinated by Hamilton's intellect and deep knowledge of government and economics.

As their unlikely friendship blossomed, they began discussing ways to bridge the divide between the conservative and liberal factions in America. Hamilton argued for a strong federal government with a centralized banking system, while Spicoli advocated for individual freedom and a more laid-back approach to life.

Together, they came up with a plan to create a new political party that would unite the best of both worlds. They called it the "Liberty and Chill" party and worked tirelessly to build a grassroots movement of like-minded individuals who shared their vision.

incredible

if everything suddenly turned into water

QuoteOnce upon a time, a strange and mysterious phenomenon occurred on Earth. In a matter of hours, the entire planet was submerged in water, and everything except for the human race was now aquatic.

At first, the humans were terrified and confused. They watched as their homes, cities, and even continents were swallowed by the vast oceans that now covered the planet. They tried to call for help, but all communication devices were destroyed in the disaster.

But the humans quickly realized that they were the only ones left, and they had to adapt to the new environment if they wanted to survive. They built rafts and boats to navigate the vast ocean that had become their new world. They learned to fish and hunt for food, and they created underwater habitats to live in.

Despite the challenges, the humans thrived in their new aquatic world. They formed new societies and communities, and they developed new technologies to explore and understand the oceans that had become their home.

As time passed, the humans learned that the disaster that had befallen the Earth was caused by a catastrophic shift in the tectonic plates, which had caused the planet's crust to crack and fill with water. They also discovered that the event had been predicted by ancient civilizations, who had left clues about the impending disaster in their writings and artifacts.

The humans continued to explore and thrive in their new aquatic world, but they never forgot the disaster that had reshaped their planet. They worked tirelessly to understand the forces that had caused the cataclysm, hoping to prevent such a tragedy from ever happening again.

And so, the humans became the guardians of the oceans, the keepers of the planet's fate. And they sailed on, into the endless blue, forever changed but forever enduring.

ChatGPT is really cool - but I think fears about AI are generally over exaggerated. Once we have a real-deal AGI, then there might be cause for concern.