Quote from: SGR on Mar 23, 2023, 09:42 PMChatGPT is really cool - but I think fears about AI are generally over exaggerated. Once we have a real-deal AGI, then there might be cause for concern.

well there's cloning but so far the science community have respected calls not to go there - maybe they'll put the breaks on this too

maybe they'll stop engineering crazy viruses in labs as well

i definitely think ai is a potential disaster but it's probably better to agree to just stop the recklessness with existential threats in general whether it's nations having thousands of nukes or keeping small pox in a freezer or whatever

maybe the un could pass a resolution and use some kind of dystopian ai robot spy to enforce it so we'll be safe

and maybe that program could be called "toy revolver"

QuoteImagine that as you are boarding an airplane, half the engineers who built the plane tell you there is a 10 percent chance the plane will crash, killing you and everyone else on board. Would you still board?

In 2022, over 700 top academics and researchers behind the leading artificial intelligence companies were asked in a survey about future A.I. risk. Half of those surveyed stated that there was a 10 percent or greater chance of human extinction (or similarly permanent and severe disempowerment) from future A.I. systems. Technology companies building today's large language models are caught in a race to put all of humanity on that plane.

quote from nytimes - article behind paywall

I don't like how they try to dress it up as a matter of showing respect yet that goes out of the window when it is directed toward Christians or Christianity. Respect my arse. You're just shit scared.

Only God knows.

Yeah well maybe they meant Gabriel Jesus.  :laughing: Maybe they're Man United fans.

I, for one, welcome our behind-a-paywall overlords. All Hail The Singularity. :P

i couldn't get it to successfully say the pledge of allegiance backwards

i thought that would be easy as pie for a robot

weird

Resistance to, or refusal to exhibit un-American behaviour has been hard-coded into it, of course.

I don't like chatgpt. Not that I'm paranoid about AI robots enslaving mankind or whatever, I'm worried humans will use it badly/it will transform our lives in a bad way. Any kind of big innovation or technological progress is neutral in itself, I think, but its implementation has to be really carefully considered so it's used to good ends. This hasn't always happened of course, and from what I've seen I don't expect it to happen with AI. I have delved into the subject recently for a project, and I found much of the research of low quality and some AI enthusiast scientists that I've spoken to shockingly short-sighted and foolish

I find it interesting but at this point in time it seems a bit underwhelming compared to the hype I've been hearing about it in the media.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Mar 30, 2023, 02:30 PMI find it interesting but at this point in time it seems a bit underwhelming compared to the hype I've been hearing about it in the media.

spend an hour with it - if you already have then ok

I haven't because I can't be arsed to sign up but I got my friend to request the recipe for beans on toast in the style of an English football hooligan and it was pretty good.

Only God knows.

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 30, 2023, 05:14 PM
Quote from: Psy-Fi on Mar 30, 2023, 02:30 PMI find it interesting but at this point in time it seems a bit underwhelming compared to the hype I've been hearing about it in the media.

spend an hour with it - if you already have then ok

How do I use it then?

Only God knows.