Oh now, you don't have to believe or have seen any particular type of light to enjoy gospel music surely! In fact, I'm rather fond of quite a few hymns and spiritual songs, and I sure as hell don't believe!

Obviously
"Amazing Grace"

I also really like, for some reason
"Nearer My God to Thee"

And I've loved this since I heard it on a Sean Filkins album
"Eternal Father, Strong to Save"

Come on, brothers and sisters! Open your hearts! See the light! Testify! and, um, etc.

#1 Feb 22, 2023, 06:18 PM Last Edit: Feb 24, 2023, 12:53 AM by Guybrush
Oh my, really?

The Word has spoken :D

jesus is king is the record that finally got me full on into ye

i love that record so much that changed my attitude towards christianity and it also makes me love ye no matter what he says or does

#3 Feb 22, 2023, 06:36 PM Last Edit: Feb 22, 2023, 06:39 PM by Lady of Synth
Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 22, 2023, 06:21 PMjesus is king is the record that finally got me full on into ye

i love that record so much that changed my attitude towards christianity and it also makes me love ye no matter what he says or does

I respect that you still love his work, as long as you respect that I, a Jew, am made extremely uncomfortable by his antisemitism and right wing rhetoric.

And for the record I was a big fan of his back in the 2000s. But I'm not going to support someone who has threatened violence against me and my people, regardless of whether he means it or not.

I mean no disrespect to you, but the situation is a bummer that hits close to home for me. I hope we can both approach this with understanding.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

"Have you seen the light?"...

The Blues Brothers - The Gospel Scene

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Feb 22, 2023, 06:36 PM
Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 22, 2023, 06:21 PMjesus is king is the record that finally got me full on into ye

I respect that you still love his work, as long as you respect that I, a Jew, am made extremely uncomfortable by his antisemitism and right wing rhetoric.

And for the record I was a big fan of his back in the 2000s. But I'm not going to support someone who has threatened violence against me and my people, regardless of whether he means it or not.

I mean no disrespect to you, but the situation is a bummer that hits close to home for me. I hope we can both approach this with understanding.

i get it- he makes himself almost impossible to love - he's given us many reasons not to forgive - his words and actions have been deplorable and disgusting

the black hebrew israelite real jew thing is a q-anon type of mental trap rabbit hole that unfortunately a surprising number of black people go down

it's very hard to explain my love for him as a man and not just as an artist because frankly it doesn't make sense

his personality or at least his personality as i see it as a fan is so intertwined with his art that it's really hard to separate the two - his charisma is so incredibly strong it's like he can test us with any absurdity or line of what can only be perceived as hatefulness and he will still shine like he's chosen to be loved and that allegiance is unbreakable

even his hate and lunacy and materialism it's all part of something transcendent

it's a cultlike spell even

i'm never inclined to follow his path in anyway but still he has an essence that i have to love - it seems as though it transcends this world

synth, even though i know you are right it's like that joke "if loving ye is wrong i don't want to be right"

and even if i said i didn't love him i'd be lying

it's paradoxical- it's like the dog that kisses the hand of the scientist performing a vivisection on it

I think with Ye, or Kanye if you will, you have to consider the guy has some real mental issues. I'm not particularly a fan of his either and he turned me off as far back as 2005 with his "George Bush doesn't like black people" rant on national TV.

But then again, my taste for hip hop is rather limited.

QuoteGeorge Bush doesn't like black people

he wasn't lying

how could you not love that one? he nailed it

Well, sort of, but what did Taylor Swift ever do to him?

https://youtu.be/UJUNTcOGeSw every word he says here is beautiful and righteous

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 22, 2023, 07:40 PMi get it- he makes himself almost impossible to love - he's given us many reasons not to forgive - his words and actions have been deplorable and disgusting

the black hebrew israelite real jew thing is a q-anon type of mental trap rabbit hole that unfortunately a surprising number of black people go down

it's very hard to explain my love for him as a man and not just as an artist because frankly it doesn't make sense

his personality or at least his personality as i see it as a fan is so intertwined with his art that it's really hard to separate the two - his charisma is so incredibly strong it's like he can test us with any absurdity or line of what can only be perceived as hatefulness and he will still shine like he's chosen to be loved and that allegiance is unbreakable

even his hate and lunacy and materialism it's all part of something transcendent

it's a cultlike spell even

i'm never inclined to follow his path in anyway but still he has an essence that i have to love - it seems as though it transcends this world

synth, even though i know you are right it's like that joke "if loving ye is wrong i don't want to be right"

and even if i said i didn't love him i'd be lying

it's paradoxical- it's like the dog that kisses the hand of the scientist performing a vivisection on it

I completely understand, I struggle with the problem of enjoying great art made by terrible people. I agree that Kanye's personality is greatly intertwined with his art, and that's one reason I have a hard time enjoying his music now. I used to defend his terrible words under the pretense of rockstar charisma, but antisemitic shit is where I draw my personal line. A charismatic antisemite is still an antisemite.

I respect your view on this, I get that some people enjoy watching raving lunatics. Thank you for your understanding.

#11 Feb 23, 2023, 03:08 AM Last Edit: Feb 23, 2023, 03:10 AM by Trollheart
This is not a sarcastic gif. That conversation could have gone completely another way, so well done, both of you, especially LoS.

However, can we please ensure this does not turn into a Ye appreciation/depreciation/rant/love thread? I've no interest in him, and this thread is ONLY for posting videos of spiritual music and discussing same. Don't want it to get off track into awkward conversations. Thanks. May Chad look with favour upon you.

Quote from: Trollheart on Feb 23, 2023, 03:08 AMThis is not a sarcastic gif. That conversation could have gone completely another way, so well done, both of you, especially LoS.

However, can we please ensure this does not turn into a Ye appreciation/depreciation/rant/love thread? I've no interest in him, and this thread is ONLY for posting videos of spiritual music and discussing same. Don't want it to get off track into awkward conversations. Thanks. May Chad look with favour upon you.

No problem. I am all for making this thread a Ye discourse-free zone from now on.

Chad be with you, my child.