Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
7 (100%)
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
0 (0%)
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: Feb 13, 2023, 01:42 PM

So we've come to the final, to encourage discussion and visibility I have posted this in the Music forum. Semi final one had a three way tie for the second spot with a clear winner so only Dark Side of the Moon Advances there.

For me this is really tough, I didn't include Larks in my top ten even but it had just been too long since I listened to it and probably would on re-evaluation. Dark Side of the Moon is probably the album that defines the year in terms of music in general and Houses of the Holy is just another great album from my all time favourite band.

In the age of ignorance, being informed is a choice.

All three are great albums though my faves from 1973 were Innervisions and Alladin Sane. I ended up going with Dark Side but I could have gone with either Larks or Houses.

The Word has spoken :D

I am currently leaning towards Dark Side, it might be a land slide, currently just re listening to all three albums.

#3 Feb 05, 2023, 02:15 PM Last Edit: Feb 05, 2023, 02:20 PM by Lady of Synth
It was a very difficult choice between Houses and Dark Side. It's overplayed and I'm not as big a Floyd fan as I am a Zeppelin or Crimson fan, but Dark Side is the most consistently quality record of these three IMO so I voted for it.

Both albums have one track I don't like very much (D'yer Maker and Money) but Money at least has a fun bassline and the guitar solo does elevate it. Plus Dark Side has the Any Colour You Like synth solo, so I have to pick it out of loyalty to my brand.

I know it wasn't on my initial top ten and Houses was, but after I really thought about it I realized how much more music I like that draws directly from Floyd in contrast to Zeppelin. Still love them both, but ultimately I have more reverence for Dark Side.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quoteafter I really thought about it I realized how much more music I like that draws directly from Floyd in contrast to Zeppelin

if anyone disagrees with this i'm interested in what you think but i think the best band from LZ school is the white stripes and from the PF school radiohead

i like ws but rh is in another universe

i don't like d'yer mak'er either and twenty minutes of the 23 minute whole lotta love medley is the same kind of campy nonsense- so is hot dog -

money is awesome though - wtf you talkin bout willis???

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 05, 2023, 02:53 PMmoney is awesome though - wtf you talkin bout willis???

Fair enough! There's a lot to like about it but I'm just not as big of a fan of the more rhythmic bluesy side of PF. Up until the guitar solo comes in I'm just "eh" on it, I dunno. But I don't think it's bad, just never really vibed with it.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

it's the weakest song on the album which shows how good the album is / it's not the best album of 73 though - that's lunacy #dadjokes

OK, It might be because I am completely fucked out of my mind right now, but on a re listen of DSotM, name me even five albums (CttE, Animals and WYWH not included) that are better than this? Dark Side is such an obvious choice.

what's CttE? Close to the Edge?

you mean five pink floyd records or just five records in the entire world of recorded music or prog records or what?

Yeah, I can name two Pink Floyd albums better than Dark Side (Pipers at the Gates of Dawn and Wish You Were Here). If you mean all artists, Dark Side doesn't even make my top hundred.

Pipers is utter shit in comparison and Wish You Were Here I already mentioned (and is better tbf, alongside animals). DsoTM is one of the best albums of all time, forget the popularity, how overplayed it is etc and just listen to the music.

I never really got into Animals. To me it was a letdown after Dark Side and Wish You Were Here and The Wall is a superior album too. I get why people may like Animals but maybe it was over my head.

QuotePipers is utter shit in comparison

dafuq?

Tough to choose since all 3 are long-time favorites of mine but I'll go with Pink Floyd for the win. I think it holds together from start to finish just slightly better than the other 2.

QuoteI never really got into Animals. To me it was a letdown after Dark Side and Wish You Were Here

Dafuq?