Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 06, 2023, 04:01 PMi respect that

simply adding corn considerably ups the quality of a budget meal

unshucked corn on the cob cooks really well in the microwave and is a much cheaper and healthier alternative to normal microwave stuff

I put that corn in the soup, only 88 cents for the corn and $2.15 per soup can

https://twitter.com/shhon_
May 9th, 2024

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

i buy those campbell's chunky products too

We wanna eat less ultra processed food. We're not the biggest consumers as making meals from basic ingredients is the cultural norm here and something we do, but ultra processed food is still a regular part of o
our diet. Might not take much effort to get nearly rid of it, though.

Is anyone else doing something regarding this?

Happiness is a warm manatee

It's rare that I will eat processed food but my diet would probably be considered boring.

Porridge oats, milk, frozen mixed veg, frozen fish, chicken thighs, beef mince, whey protein, skyr.

Is about 90% of what I eat.

Only God knows.

#19 May 10, 2023, 12:28 AM Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 12:31 AM by Guybrush
I'm gonna nitpick like an insufferable douchebag, but all of those are processed foods.. unless you're sucking the skyr straight out of the cow's tit. It's just not ULTRA processed™️

You do sound healthy, but boring.

Quote from: Guybrush on May 10, 2023, 12:28 AMI'm gonna nitpick like an insufferable douchebag, but all of those are processed foods.. unless you're sucking the skyr straight out of the cow's tit. It's just not ULTRA processed™️

You do sound healthy, but boring.

Frozen fish is processed? Mixed veg? Are you including anything you don't pull from the ground yourself or catch/hunt as processed? I dunno. Maybe you are.

I don't suck tits no  8)

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 10, 2023, 12:42 AMFrozen fish is processed? Mixed veg? Are you including anything you don't pull from the ground yourself or catch/hunt as processed? I dunno. Maybe you are.

I don't suck tits no  8)

Frozen fish is washed and has its guts removed, which is processing. The veggies have been washed, diced and packed in some industrial process. The oats don't look like that on the plant, etc.

So if it's been processed, I'd call it processed.. but that word or the term processed food doesn't have negative connotations to me - until you slap the extra ULTRA on there. Or maybe an ÜBER. 😎

since inflation has hit so high restaurants are starting to suck and subsequently i'm rarely eating out anymore

either the price is too high or the quality isn't what it used to be

i went out for a burger after going to evil dead and it sucked

Quote from: Guybrush on May 10, 2023, 12:51 AMFrozen fish is washed and has its guts removed, which is processing. The veggies have been washed, diced and packed in some industrial process. The oats don't look like that on the plant, etc.

So if it's been processed, I'd call it processed.. but that word or the term processed food doesn't have negative connotations to me - until you slap the extra ULTRA on there. Or maybe an ÜBER. 😎

Fair enough. Well, no then I don't eat non processed shit :laughing:

But I don't eat bad stuff, don't drink anything other than tea or water (or milk with meals).

Only God knows.

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 10, 2023, 01:11 AMsince inflation has hit so high restaurants are starting to suck and subsequently i'm rarely eating out anymore

either the price is too high or the quality isn't what it used to be

i went out for a burger after going to evil dead and it sucked

Yeah, we used to order out fairly regularly but we've had to scale back our budget so eating out is a last resort these days. It's actually been an improvement in several other ways besides saving money, we're eating healthier and it has encouraged me to try new recipes and get better at cooking.

Plus our more restrictive budget has kinda challenged me to work more with what I have and get better at improvising meals. Restrictions have always helped me be more creative, and I'm getting a lot of that now.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on May 10, 2023, 01:51 PMYeah, we used to order out fairly regularly but we've had to scale back our budget so eating out is a last resort these days. It's actually been an improvement in several other ways besides saving money, we're eating healthier and it has encouraged me to try new recipes and get better at cooking.

Plus our more restrictive budget has kinda challenged me to work more with what I have and get better at improvising meals. Restrictions have always helped me be more creative, and I'm getting a lot of that now.

have you gotten into making and freezing smoothies

they're not super cheap but still about the best value you can get using real food - they're very flexible in terms of what you can put in and still taste pretty good - with an avocado and/or banana base you can basically go any vegan direction you want and it'll work

i make several at once and freeze them then when i drink one unfreeze the next - not exactly rocket science but it beats paying for less healthy brand bottles that cost much more per ounce - i use lots of spinach and kale 💪

another good thing to make in bulk is pasta sauce and similarly almost any vegan combination will do fine - i use exclusively food that's suitable eating raw - just blend it and put it in separate containers in the freezer- that way you don't have to cook everyday and raw vegan food is healthy

and if you want some meat just put it in the pan and dump the frozen or partially thawed sauce from earlier in with the meat and cook it together - you can go italian, oriental, fusion or whatever

and you don't have to use pasta as the base, rice or even potatoes are fine or just eat it like a soup or stew

i know i'm just saying obvious things but i wonder why more people don't do it - you have to eat and this approach is cheap and convenient and allows you to eat healthier food when you're rushed later in the weak

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 10, 2023, 02:19 PMhave you gotten into making and freezing smoothies

they're not super cheap but still about the best value you can get using real food - they're very flexible in terms of what you can put in and still taste pretty good - with an avocado and/or banana base you can basically go any vegan direction you want and it'll work

i make several at once and freeze them then when i drink one unfreeze the next - not exactly rocket science but it beats paying for less healthy brand bottles that cost much more per ounce - i use lots of spinach and kale 💪

another good thing to make in bulk is pasta sauce and similarly almost any vegan combination will do fine - i use exclusively food that's suitable eating raw - just blend it and put it in separate containers in the freezer- that way you don't have to cook everyday and raw vegan food is healthy

and if you want some meat just put it in the pan and dump the frozen or partially thawed sauce from earlier in with the meat and cook it together - you can go italian, oriental, fusion or whatever

and you don't have to use pasta as the base, rice or even potatoes are fine or just eat it like a soup or stew

i know i'm just saying obvious things but i wonder why more people don't do it - you have to eat and this approach is cheap and convenient and allows you to eat healthier food when you're rushed later in the weak

Pre-making and freezing pasta sauce is definitely a great idea, we eat a lot of stuff I could use that for, thank you for the advice!

It's not always obvious to everyone, I only really started cooking regularly after the lockdown era, I helped my mom in the kitchen a lot until I moved out at 24, but then I went about 8 years living alone without cooking much at all. So your advice is absolutely appreciated!

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quotethen I went about 8 years living alone without cooking much at all

yeah, that'll wreck your budget and as you get older your health as well

Batch cooking and freezing sauces is a good idea just don't ask him for chilli advice.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 10, 2023, 03:25 PMBatch cooking and freezing sauces is a good idea just don't ask him for chilli advice.

son of a bitch 😠