If you don't know No Dogs in Space, it is a music podcast by Marcus Parks and Carolina Hidalgo. They go in-depth on various artists, most of them so far related to the UK or New York punk scene like The Damned, The Slits and The Ramones. Each artist is covered over several episodes and they also snake into the lives and stories of people related to the going-ons (how many times do they mention Danny Fields?).

The podcast is simply great, even better than the brilliant Last Podcast on the Left which their network takes their name from.

Are there any other listeners out there? Which episodes were your favorites and who do you think they should cover next?

For me, I'd be excited about them doing Talking Heads. I honestly don't know how interesting their story is, but the band is really fun and David Byrne is still going strong (American Utopia was great). They have their roots in the New York scene centered around CBGB's which puts them around the same place as some of the other artists already covered.

Other choices that would make sense to me might be Television, New York Dolls and Richard Hell.

Happiness is a warm manatee

I listened to the Stooges and Suicide and the Slits and part of the Damned. I think they borrow very heavily from Please Kill Me I also looked for video evidence of some of their show discriptions,like endless streams of gobbing, and left believing it's exaggerated. I also find their enthusiasm for the artists and supposed expertise to be a touch insincere. It has a kind of we're selling our personalities frat boy sorority girl vibe. Still, it's a fun and informative podcast. I plan to keep listening to it.

You don't know Mojack and Ramones of the Day are better punk rock podcasts imo. Especially the Mojack shows on Husker Du and the Minute Men albums.

#2 Jan 15, 2023, 08:26 AM Last Edit: Jan 15, 2023, 08:30 AM by Guybrush
They've mentioned Please Kill Me as a source I'm sure, possibly more than once. They seem like voracious readers and I'm generally impressed with the work they put in. About sincerity or not, it's not something I've noticed specifically, but I imagine you sometimes have to rerecord something and perhaps repeat jokes and feign reactions. I remember they've talked about rerecording entire episodes because they didn't find them quite up to snuff. Maybe that's got something to do with it?

Thanks for the podcast recommendations :) will check those out.

About gobbing, I haven't seen it at a concert, but had punk friends who'd gob at each other, so.. It doesn't seem so far fetched to me :coldsweat:

#3 Jan 15, 2023, 08:35 AM Last Edit: Jan 15, 2023, 08:38 AM by Guybrush
About spitting on people, I found this writeup / account from someone claiming to be a music journalist and punk musician in the 80s:

https://www.quora.com/Where-did-the-spitting-in-the-punk-scene-originate-and-why-did-it-stop/answer/Sam-Steiger-2?ch=10&oid=221451744&share=4490f5f3&srid=BiMQp&target_type=answer

I'm sure it happened but if it were a thing there'd be footage