Oh broadcast is a good one!

To address some concerns: I feel two albums isn't enough to call it a discography. Sure, it may fit the literal description, but you could also look on it as being a case of an artist getting it right first time, stumbling through a second album and also getting it right, but then what would happen on the third? I think three is the sweet spot: at that point, most artists would have probably used up all their "A" material (some of which often goes onto the second album as it's left over) and have to look at writing new stuff, which might be where it all falls down. Also, if an artist is unexpectedly popular and successful first time around (look at Europe, or rather, don't) then they might struggle to keep up that quality with subsequent albums (again, look at Europe). So three minimum seems to me to be the benchmark we reach for.

As for bands still releasing material, sure: they may indeed drop a turd, but nobody can see the future so in that case, it's an assessment of what they have already released. I suppose, for artists still active, you could add "at this point" onto the thread title.

Finally, Psy-Fi, can I assume all the artists on your list satisfy the three-album-minimum, or do I have to go checking them all?

Quote from: Marie Monday on Mar 25, 2024, 07:56 PMOh broadcast is a good one!

:beer:

Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 25, 2024, 08:04 PMFinally, Psy-Fi, can I assume all the artists on your list satisfy the three-album-minimum, or do I have to go checking them all?

Yes, to your first question.  :)

I would argue Portishead belongs on the list. Like a few other suggestions it's also a 3 album discog but you can tell that every time they've embarked on an album project, they've set out to perfect the aesthetic they went for on that album, never releasing albums just for the sake of doing so.

Others that could be considered:
Boards of Canada - if you consider their official studio discography as beginning with 1996's Boc Maxima you could argue they don't have a dud to their name, although depending on who you ask, Tomorrow's Harvest could be the closest thing to being that.
Slowdive - All three of their 90's albums are classics imo, and both of their releases post-reunion I think are good enough to not be considered as tainting their discography.

Also, why is MBV not in the OP list even though Marie suggested them? They have three albums, which are all fairly stellar in my estimation, although ofc someone else might disagree with that

Quote from: GD on Mar 25, 2024, 11:09 PMI would argue Portishead belongs on the list. Like a few other suggestions it's also a 3 album discog but you can tell that every time they've embarked on an album project, they've set out to perfect the aesthetic they went for on that album, never releasing albums just for the sake of doing so.
Yup. It's 3 album minimum, which means an artist with 3 albums is acceptable, or any amount over 3.
QuoteOthers that could be considered:
Boards of Canada - if you consider their official studio discography as beginning with 1996's Boc Maxima you could argue they don't have a dud to their name, although depending on who you ask, Tomorrow's Harvest could be the closest thing to being that.
Slowdive - All three of their 90's albums are classics imo, and both of their releases post-reunion I think are good enough to not be considered as tainting their discography.

Will add
QuoteAlso, why is MBV not in the OP list even though Marie suggested them? They have three albums, which are all fairly stellar in my estimation, although ofc someone else might disagree with that

Because, to quote the immortal Basil Fawlty, I forgot. I'm so sorry; it's not all done by magic.  :)  :) Will add now.

Quote from: Marie Monday on Mar 25, 2024, 01:08 AMNMH have more than two albums, counting also this for instance

^ That's new material for me, Marie. Thanks. NMH also have an EP called Everything Is; perhaps you've heard it?
With a run time of 15 mins, I suppose it doesn't count for this thread.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 25, 2024, 01:11 PMI understand the logic with not wanting one album discogs but two? Some of the best bands and artists ever couldn't match their debuts.

Oh well its only a thread on the Internet.

^ How can you say that, jimmy jazz !! :laughing:
I, for one, am here to nit-pick, split hairs and work out the various frustrations of my life at Trollheart's expense.

...and in this case, at Psy-Fi's expense too, because he's posted a band whose discography I'm actually familiar with: The Beatles.
Presumably a perfect discography is a discography of perfect albums, but I feel the Beatles fall short with The White Album, (of which it is so often said "It would've made a great single album") Let It Be, and Yellow Submarine, which yes, I checked, is listed as a Beatles album, though perhaps it shouldn't be.

But even I will concede that if we start arguing about what albums are perfect, this thread will never be done, so my apologies, Psy-Fi, I'll withdraw my remarks and let your Beatles nom stand uncontested. ;)

To get lost is to learn the way.

The Roots are very, very close to a perfect discog imo.

Outkast are too.

None of their albums are considered duds but their last ones didn't get the same critical acclaim as earlier ones.

Having seen some of the suggestions they deserve a shout as much as anyone else tbh.

Only God knows.

The La's

Don't care about the three album rule.

Arguably the best album to ever come out of Liverpool imo.

Sigur ros.

Only God knows.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Mar 26, 2024, 03:54 PMI, for one, am here to nit-pick, split hairs and work out the various frustrations of my life at Trollheart's expense.

...and in this case, at Psy-Fi's expense too, because he's posted a band whose discography I'm actually familiar with: The Beatles.
Presumably a perfect discography is a discography of perfect albums, but I feel the Beatles fall short with The White Album, (of which it is so often said "It would've made a great single album") Let It Be, and Yellow Submarine, which yes, I checked, is listed as a Beatles album, though perhaps it shouldn't be.

But even I will concede that if we start arguing about what albums are perfect, this thread will never be done, so my apologies, Psy-Fi, I'll withdraw my remarks and let your Beatles nom stand uncontested. ;)

I have to admit that I almost left the Beatles off my list because of The White Album in particular but I decided that it's still a great album even though it's probably my least favorite of theirs.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 26, 2024, 04:27 PMThe La's

Don't care about the three album rule.

Arguably the best album to ever come out of Liverpool imo.

Sigur ros.

Whether you care or not about the rule, JJ, gonna ask you politely to respect it. If you put in artists with less than three, in the case of the La's it's only one, you give me extra work, as I have to check to see if they qualify. They don't. So please don't nominate artists you know are not going to be considered. Additionally, since you've now done it once I have to assume you're not bothering complying with your other choices, and I have to check them too. It's not a big deal to you, I'm sure, but it's a pain in the aft nacelle for me, so do us a favour and follow the rule. It is only one, and quite a reasonable one I should have thought. Thanks.

Sigur Ros are obviously okay. Your other choices will be added after I check to see if they qualify, which I shouldn't have to do. Everyone else is playing the game, so please follow suit. Much obliged.

P.S. If you want to talk about artists with what you consider to be perfect discogs, but know they can't be added, just say so, ie "The La's: I know they don't qualify, but just wanted to say" or something similar. Same goes for anyone else who wants to pursue that tack.

My Chemical Romance

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

@Trollheart

Sorry Big T. Was just a non serious comment as I wanted to mention them.

I'll be clear next time.

It won't happen again.

Only God knows.

We cool, man. We cool.  :beer:

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Mar 26, 2024, 05:10 PMMy Chemical Romance
now that's a spicy pick
Quote from: Lisnaholic on Mar 26, 2024, 03:54 PM^ That's new material for me, Marie. Thanks. NMH also have an EP called Everything Is; perhaps you've heard it?
With a run time of 15 mins, I suppose it doesn't count for this thread.

^ How can you say that, jimmy jazz !! :laughing:
I, for one, am here to nit-pick, split hairs and work out the various frustrations of my life at Trollheart's expense.

yeah I think Everything Is is too short so I wasn't counting it. It warms my heart that you're allowing the Beatles on there and to be fair, many of you will find some of my picks spicy too (Bikini Kill obvs and some of the Breeders' albums are a bit out there) but as long as we all honsetly feel like we can argue our cases then I for one welcome that

Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 25, 2024, 08:43 AMI have a couple of suggestions for discussion, if you're up for it.

• Led Zeppelin - they don't have a bad album, right?
  • Talk Talk - though I suspect their debut might not be very interesting (haven't heard that one)

I think most would argue that Presence and In Through the Out Door would exclude Zeppelin from this list. Personally, I love both records, even to the point where I'd argue they're better than some of their earlier releases, but I don't know if I'd argue Zeppelin's discography is perfect - but damn, it's pretty friggin' close.  :laughing: