Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 24, 2024, 09:57 PMThere would be a strong argument for Dr Dre if he didn't put interludes on his first two albums.

Chronic - 9.5/10
2001 - 8/10
Compton - 9/10

No shot man, Compton better than 2001?!? I got sick of the skits too, and 2001 is longer than it needs to be, but Compton was a massive disappointment after so many years of build-up - way too much autotune on the vocals too.

Just thought of another one.

Run the Jewels.

Four albums all flawless.

About as perfect as you can get.

You could add El-P as a solo artist too as his three solo albums all got rave reviews too.

Only God knows.

Quote from: SGR on Mar 26, 2024, 09:39 PMNo shot man, Compton better than 2001?!? I got sick of the skits too, and 2001 is longer than it needs to be, but Compton was a massive disappointment after so many years of build-up - way too much autotune on the vocals too.

100%

Compton was great. It makes me feel like I'm in Compton and want to wear a check shirt and Nike Cortez. Pour out a little liquor. Go to Fatburger.

2001 had the bigger singles. Compton didn't have any big hits but is a better album.

Not to be pedantic but the build-up was for Detox which got shelved because Dre admitted it was shit. Compton was off the back of the film as he was so inspired again.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 26, 2024, 09:42 PM100%

Compton was great. It makes me feel like I'm in Compton and want to wear a check shirt and Nike Cortez. Pour out a little liquor. Go to Fatburger.

2001 had the bigger singles. Compton didn't have any big hits but is a better album.

Not to be pedantic but the build-up was for Detox which got shelved because Dre admitted it was shit. Compton was off the back of the film as he was so inspired again.

Well, I'm glad you like it.  :laughing:

I realize 'Detox' was what the build-up was for specifically, as that is the album he was teasing - but at a more fundamental level, the build-up was just for the next Dr. Dre album. If we keep going like this though, next you'll tell me that Wu-Tang's A Better Tomorrow was a better album than Wu-Tang Forever, and I just don't wanna live in that reality, man.  :laughing:

It's been a minute, so I checked out the song from Wu-Tang Forever that inspired the future album's title, and yup, it still bangs.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 26, 2024, 09:40 PMJust thought of another one.

Run the Jewels.

Four albums all flawless.

About as perfect as you can get.

You could add El-P as a solo artist too as his three solo albums all got rave reviews too.

Now THIS I can get behind 100%. My god, they are great. They were the soundtrack to much of my college life. El-P was basically my introduction to indie rap, and I've been waiting for a follow up for Cancer 4 Cure (which is my personal favorite of his) for a minute. I absolutely love his production.

And his chemistry with Killer Mike is inimitable. They don't quite have style or flair of Outkast, but they do have the chemistry. A UGK/Outkast like chemistry. Still one of my favorite opening tracks from a rap album (even though I prefer RTJ2 as a whole).

El-P's Gang of Four sample in RTJ4 blew my fucking socks off.

#50 Mar 26, 2024, 11:18 PM Last Edit: Mar 26, 2024, 11:23 PM by Lisnaholic
^ Good to see you writing so enthusiastically about music, SGR, which you haven't done so much recently, afaik. :thumb:

Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros only made three albums together, each one top-notch throughout, imhumbleo. If your eyesight is good, you can see them here, plus a fourth disc of box-set bonus outtakes or something (the black one), which presumably doesn't count :-

To get lost is to learn the way.

As far as people disagreeing over artists already on the list, that's cool if you want to, but really once they're up there it's going to take a national referendum, a majority opinion or a sizeable transfer to my PayPal account to shift them. In the spirit of togetherness and tolerance, I'd say unless you have a MAJOR beef with an artist being there, just leave them.

Of course, I'm always ready to referee fights. Let me just don my safety armour...

^ Yep, that's the only sensible approach for this thread Trollheart, until we have some glorious "What sucks about this band's perfect discography" thread :yikes:

To get lost is to learn the way.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Mar 26, 2024, 11:18 PM^ Good to see you writing so enthusiastically about music, SGR, which you haven't done so much recently, afaik. :thumb:

Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros only made three albums together, each one top-notch throughout, imhumbleo. If your eyesight is good, you can see them here, plus a fourth disc of box-set bonus outtakes or something (the black one), which presumably doesn't count :-

Thanks Lisna! With music, I have my slumps and I'm in one now where I'm rarely listening to either new stuff or even old stuff. It happens occasionally for me. Up until the Super Bowl, I was absorbed with football and now with the US Presidential Election, I've shifted to politics. I've been thinking about making another entry in my 'SGR's Gold Mine' thread just to get talking about music again. Waiting for the mood to strike me.

As for Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, I haven't listened to any of their stuff - perhaps I'll have to check it out at some point, given that I love his work with the Clash!

Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 27, 2024, 12:19 AMAs far as people disagreeing over artists already on the list, that's cool if you want to, but really once they're up there it's going to take a national referendum, a majority opinion or a sizeable transfer to my PayPal account to shift them. In the spirit of togetherness and tolerance, I'd say unless you have a MAJOR beef with an artist being there, just leave them.

Of course, I'm always ready to referee fights. Let me just don my safety armour...

I'm going to argue with certain choices regardless of whether or not it makes a difference to them being on 'the list'  :laughing:  Depending on who ends up on this list, I might be DM'ing you for your PayPal info

But let me ask, Lisna just suggested Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros and you've just put them on the list, right? I don't have an opinion on whether or not their discography is perfect, but wouldn't it make more sense to separate 'the list' between accepted entries and nominated entries until we all have enough time to discuss/debate the nominations? Otherwise, I'll just nominate The Fall and the Beastie Boys to this list to force your hand (both of whom have incredible discographies, by the way)  :laughing:

Quote from: SGR on Mar 26, 2024, 09:33 PMI think most would argue that Presence and In Through the Out Door would exclude Zeppelin from this list. Personally, I love both records, even to the point where I'd argue they're better than some of their earlier releases, but I don't know if I'd argue Zeppelin's discography is perfect - but damn, it's pretty friggin' close.  :laughing:

Of course I know there were some disappointed fans back in the day along with some criticism. But both albums sound good to me, not duds. Even at their worst, I think they have a great sound and right now I'd rather listen to their last two albums than their first two.

But they're not perfect. That's a word I don't use lightly, so in all honesty I don't think I know of a single =>3 album discography that's perfect.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: SGR on Mar 27, 2024, 03:00 AMI'm going to argue with certain choices regardless of whether or not it makes a difference to them being on 'the list'  :laughing:  Depending on who ends up on this list, I might be DM'ing you for your PayPal info

But let me ask, Lisna just suggested Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros and you've just put them on the list, right? I don't have an opinion on whether or not their discography is perfect, but wouldn't it make more sense to separate 'the list' between accepted entries and nominated entries until we all have enough time to discuss/debate the nominations? Otherwise, I'll just nominate The Fall and the Beastie Boys to this list to force your hand (both of whom have incredible discographies, by the way)  :laughing:

Good point, but my take on that is that personally I don't even know any of these artists, so who am I to say their discogs are not perfect? If there's enough interest and people want to put artists up for nomination, sure, but I kind of doubt you're going to get the majority of the artists already there being challenged. I just don't think there's enough strong feeling either way, though I suppose I could be wrong. What do you guys think?

@SGR re: the Wu Tang albums. Probably controversial opinion but they only have one album worth listening to imo.

Poor discog for such an iconic group.

Several of the members have better discogs by themselves.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 27, 2024, 07:24 PM@SGR re: the Wu Tang albums. Probably controversial opinion but they only have one album worth listening to imo.

Poor discog for such an iconic group.

Several of the members have better discogs by themselves.

I'd say Wu-Tang Forever and The W are both worth listening to. I think the only individual member who has a stronger discography than the group is Ghost - maaaaybe you could make a case for GZA too.

Another one I just thought of...

The Tikiyaki Orchestra

Still together and making music as of this post.

No stinkers yet.