8-9 hours
0 (0%)
9-10 hours
1 (14.3%)
More than 10 hours
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Hey guys,

So I'm going to try to get more sleep as I'm probably in the 5-6 hours average and feel like I should get at least an hour more.

We've discussed sleep before, but it seems worthy of it's own thread.

how much sleep do you usually get and what are your tricks for a good night's sleep?

Mine are:

• Pee before sleep so I don't wake from a full bladder
  • Coldish room
  • I read
  • I play ambient rain sounds to help keep my tinnitus from getting annoying
  • If I wake, I sometimes try to mentally count my way back to sleep

Happiness is a warm manatee

I get around 7 to 8 hours, which is sufficient for me. I usually use a blue light filter on my devices in the evening. Usually wake up in the middle of the night to take a piss. Sometimes quickly fall asleep after that, sometimes I start thinking about work and stuff to be done and have to consciously stop the thoughts. Sometimes it works quickly, sometimes I keep coming back to some stupid thing. When I wake up at night I also like to cuddle, calms me down. Although this is the first relationship where this works for me, probably because my girlfriend is a very deep sleeper and I don't have to worry about waking her up at night when I move or change positions. Actually I'm a bit jealous about her ability to sleep. Her reaction to stress is falling asleep, which is awesome.

#2 Oct 25, 2023, 12:18 AM Last Edit: Oct 25, 2023, 12:25 AM by degrassi.knoll
I have a number of sleep disorders, so over the course of a week I'll get anywhere from 4-12 hours a night, depending. If I look at the past week, it averages to 8 hrs/night. I dislike sleeping less than 6 and more than 8 hours at a time as it has negative impacts on my mental and physical health, and it tends to exacerbate my nightmares and inability to discern dreams and waking life.

I find it easy to fall asleep most of the time, when it's not I haven't found a better solution than just getting up and expending energy until my eyes feel tired. I have a lot of late night "goblin time" as Frank has termed it. We'll go to bed and fall asleep at the same time (let's say 11pm) but I'll wake up after an hour or so and do my weird wee hours stuff until I crawl back into bed anywhere between 12:30-4:30am. It's not insomnia, just C-PTSD.

a particle; a fragment of totality

Average of 3 to 4 hours. Either it's my anxiety or sleepwalking that keeps me up / wakes me up.

My official bedtime is 11:00 on Sunday-Wednesday, and midnight on Thursday-Saturday, though both of those are generally pretty bendable based on the mister's whims (the reason for Thursday is because we have a weekly livestream we both tune into on Thursday nights that runs until midnight). I can also ask to go to bed earlier if all my daily tasks are done. I get up promptly at 5:00 on weekdays and 7:00 on weekends. So on average I get between 5 and 7 hours each night. Which I'm fine with, though I do have a tendency to wake up for a couple minutes in the middle of the night and check my phone. I can usually get back to sleep immediately afterward. Falling asleep initially is never hard though, the large amount of work I do around the house usually has me totally pooped by the end of the day.

I also recently started on progesterone, which I take right before bedtime, and that makes me a lot more drowsy and I think has increased my sleep quality.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

#5 Oct 25, 2023, 01:23 AM Last Edit: Oct 25, 2023, 01:31 AM by ribbons
I would say on average 5-6 hours, on weekdays.  On weekends it's much longer.  I'm a really deep sleeper once I do get to sleep, but usually keep myself up late delaying going to sleep because I don't want to get up in the morning.  I'm definitely a night owl; but I also love to sleep! 

@Guybrush, I'm definitely with you on the "coldish room" preference.  I actually keep the air conditioning on in my room at night throughout spring, summer, fall/even early winter  - I just sleep better in cold temperatures, and the sound of the air conditioning lulls me to sleep.

My mother used to tell me that even as a baby/toddler I was always hot and sweating in my crib lol.

So no matter what time I fall asleep, I always wake up between 430am to 6am.  If I doze off around 130am I will still wake up around 430am. I try to go to sleep around midnight but yeah I don't stay asleep for very long. I'm jealous of my wife because she sleeps like a log and has the ability to sleep in which I just can't do.

I feel like it's residual from my time in the military and waking up early but who knows.

I was this cool the whole time.