Just the iphone

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

I used to use Samsung Health to do the same thing but I haven't logged into it in ages.

I was this cool the whole time.

I go for a short walk every day.

The health app in my iphone is weird. I spent 2h 43m in bed in January of 2020? Also I never bother weighing myself but no way I weighed anything near 70kg at any point in my adult life, that's the weight of a concentration camp survivor for my height. 

Quote from: robhr on Jul 09, 2023, 05:53 AMI go for a short walk every day.

Even in the dead of winter?

Quote from: jadis on Jul 09, 2023, 07:55 AMEven in the dead of winter?

Even in the dead of winter.

Well if it's -40 with a stupid wind chill I may skip it.

I used to walk a lot in England, perhaps 4 hours a week on average, with my greatest achievement being the day I walked for about 8 hours non-stop over hills like these:-

("non-stop" because if we sat down for 10 mins, it got uncomfortably cold and we had to move on to keep warm.)

During the pandemic, on another continent,  I walked about an hour a day at a casual pace, through streets like these:

Because I now know my local streets to the point of boredom, lately I prefer to zip through them by bike. No hill work, no gear changing: yesterday I covered 6 miles, which is my usual max before a certain amount of saddle discomfort sets in.

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: jadis on Jul 09, 2023, 07:46 AMThe health app in my iphone is weird. I spent 2h 43m in bed in January of 2020? Also I never bother weighing myself but no way I weighed anything near 70kg at any point in my adult life, that's the weight of a concentration camp survivor for my height. 

70kg is probably the default weight until you change it.

I started up using Samsung Health again and now I know that it is 2 miles for me to walk to my gym. 2 miles there and 2 miles back and if I do 20 mins on thd elliptical that is a crazy amount of cardio.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Jul 14, 2023, 12:27 AM70kg is probably the default weight until you change it.

I started up using Samsung Health again and now I know that it is 2 miles for me to walk to my gym. 2 miles there and 2 miles back and if I do 20 mins on thd elliptical that is a crazy amount of cardio.

I see. I guess assumed it was more omniscient than it is because it knew my height. Maybe it's easier for it to figure out one's height from how high you normally hold it and things like that?

Quote from: jadis on Jul 14, 2023, 11:16 AMI see. I guess assumed it was more omniscient than it is because it knew my height. Maybe it's easier for it to figure out one's height from how high you normally hold it and things like that?

Nah I wouldn't give it that much credit. I feel like those are just default settings until you put in what your regular height and weight are.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Jul 14, 2023, 11:37 AMNah I wouldn't give it that much credit. I feel like those are just default settings until you put in what your regular height and weight are.

It's my exact height though, would be weird if that was just a coincidence. Iphones have height-measuring features, my guess is that they register your height even when you don't explicitly ask them to. They do it for so much of our data anyway, why not here... 

Quote from: jadis on Jul 14, 2023, 01:51 PMIt's my exact height though, would be weird if that was just a coincidence. Iphones have height-measuring features, my guess is that they register your height even when you don't explicitly ask them to. They do it for so much of our data anyway, why not here... 

It makes sense I just don't like to think the technology is advanced enough to do that 🤔

A good day

I do love walking but I have recently struggled with it over here with the heat. It means I've not been able to take my dog and I feel weird & guilty going without her.

I walked the West Highland Way in September 2021 which is 96 miles. I done it in 6 days and it's probably the hardest and best thing I've ever done!

I just had a look at the West Highland Way on google: it looks absolutely spectacular! Well done, FETCHER.

I hope the weather was decent for you, as wind and rain can be a real problem otherwise. I still rememeber my friend's comment once when we were stuck in Ambleside for two stormy days. As we finally ventured out on the third morning he said, "Well, at least it's only drizzling."
Such is the spirit of the British holidaymaker!  ;)

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.