Hey there, guys!

If you're a gamer like me, you probably like a good roguelike.. or roguelite. These are descriptions that get used and applied a lot these days. For the purposes of this thread, I'd like to opt for the looser definitions and just say a roguelike is any game with randomized, generated game worlds that feature perma-death and roguelites are the same, but some progress may carry over between playthroughs. This is currently the most common sort of gameplay in this broad genre.

Some examples include Nethack, Crypt of the NecroDancer, The Binding of Isaac, Dead Cells, Rogue Legacy, Slay the Spire, Moonlighter, Inscryption, Roguebook and many more.

Do you have any favorites that might qualify as a roguelike or roguelite?

My own favorite game that broadly fits this description is Enter the Gungeon. I was a big fan of The Binding of Isaac years ago and Enter the Gungeon scratched that itch. It didn't actually impress me on the first few tries, buh then I started unlocking more stuff and it became amazingly fun. I'm a little wistful that I've nothing more I want to do in it.

I also got properly hooked on Roguebook. It's a deck builder and a lot of fun, although slightly lighter on content than I'd like. It's been a while so maybe there's an expansion out now 🤔

Happiness is a warm manatee

Slay the Spire will always be #1 to me. It's everything a game in the genre should be, simple, challenging, addicting.

Lately it's really only been Vampire Survivor which I like a lot but it's easy to tire of the repetitive gameplay on a longer run.

I agree with all games mentioned especially Slay The Spire. Another great one is Monster Train. Vampire Survivors is also fantastic and I jump in from time to time but the runs can take a while so you'll wanna be ready for it.

Dead Cells is still one of the best ever made and it's had a lot of DLC since release. I met the devs at pax a few years ago

I'm playing all those games except Monster Train 🙂

Vampire Survivor is so simple, yet quite fun. The last few times I've played it, I eventually get killed by Death.

Dead Cells is really good. I haven't finished it and
I'm not sure I will as platform games isn't quite my thing, but the quality of the game is undeniable.

Slay the Spire is a lot of fun. I haven't made the final boss with all characters yet, just three of them I believe. So I still have a bit of work to do there.

Happiness is a warm manatee