Quote from: tristan_geoff on Mar 26, 2024, 05:06 PMthis post is cringe

This post makes me cringe.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 26, 2024, 05:12 PMAlso people saying they'll give 110 (or more) percent. Not possible. 100 percent is by definition the most anyone can give of anything.

there are unicativated parts of ur a spinsal cortez that will evnvolepoe ur emotiaonls responses timese ms to make eit psoibble to be a GORD

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

#182 Mar 26, 2024, 06:53 PM Last Edit: Mar 26, 2024, 06:57 PM by Trollheart
Quote from: tristan_geoff on Mar 26, 2024, 05:38 PMthere are unicativated parts of ur a spinsal cortez that will evnvolepoe ur emotiaonls responses timese ms to make eit psoibble to be a GORD

Are you having a stroke? I don't care what the brain does, the simple mathematical fact is that it is impossible to have, or give, more than 100% of anything. Were we to use our brains to their fullest extent, we could still only use 100 percent, because 100 percent = the maximum. There's just no argument there.

On another subject, "I'm loving [insert action/feeling etc here]" This is supposed to be a finite action: "I love this/you/it etc" How did it become a constant in motion thing? You ever said to your SO "Darling I'm so loving you?" GAAAHHH! I blame MacDonalds. And also, what exactly does "Always Coca-Cola" mean? You could add any words and make it bad: "Things that I hate: always Coca-Cola." Or maybe "Always Coca-Cola that's too expensive" etc. Bloody half-sentences I don't know why - - -

Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 26, 2024, 06:53 PMAre you having a stroke? I don't care what the brain does, the simple mathematical fact is that it is impossible to have, or give, more than 100% of anything. Were we to use our brains to their fullest extent, we could still only use 100 percent, because 100 percent = the maximum. There's just no argument there.

On another subject, "I'm loving [insert action/feeling etc here]" This is supposed to be a finite action: "I love this/you/it etc" How did it become a constant in motion thing? You ever said to your SO "Darling I'm so loving you?" GAAAHHH! I blame MacDonalds. And also, what exactly does "Always Coca-Cola" mean? You could add any words and make it bad: "Things that I hate: always Coca-Cola." Or maybe "Always Coca-Cola that's too expensive" etc. Bloody half-sentences I don't know why - - -

Lol wdym?  No idea what this second part means, r u habing stroke?

But yes the thing ppl say abt ur brain not being able to go to 100% usually is bs... we use most of our brain daily

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

Quote from: tristan_geoff on Mar 27, 2024, 05:16 AMLol wdym?  No idea what this second part means, r u habing stroke?

But yes the thing ppl say abt ur brain not being able to go to 100% usually is bs... we use most of our brain daily

Um. No, you are indeed incorrect.

#185 Mar 27, 2024, 06:03 AM Last Edit: Mar 27, 2024, 06:07 AM by Lexi Darling
@Trollheart Those phrases are usually used slightly differently. "I'm loving" is usually used like, "I'm loving this movie", i.e. you say it while the movie is going and you are still in the state of loving it. The movie could get worse over time and you wouldn't be loving it anymore, so it's less of a definitive statement than "I love this movie".

For stuff where it's reasonable to assume that my love will be a more permanent or definite thing, I wouldn't usually use it, like it definitely would be bit weird to say "I'm loving my darling husband Aaron", haha.

So they do have slightly different purposes, at least in my mind.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

^ Yep, there's a limited case where "I'm loving" is the verb tense that best fits, Lexi, but I agree with TH, that it's overused, thanks to the McDonald's slogan, where it doesn't really apply. There's a grammar rule about verbs such as like, hate, believe, know, which says that they're not usually used with that ING ending - so, thank you McDonald's for making me explain to students that your slogan is not a good example to follow.
(Next Up: Thank you Pink Floyd for "We don't need no education", and special thanks to Gwen Stefani for "I ain't no hollaback girl. Oooh, this my shit, this my shit")

Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 26, 2024, 02:14 AMI also hate people using the word "literal" or "literally" when it's the reverse. "He literally blew his top!" No, he did not, as if he did, he would be dead! "I literally hang around the place" as Frasier pointed out, no you do not, unless you're a bat.

As to the moderate oven, well, one would assume that would definitely not be an oven that voted for Trump!

^ Thank you very much for responding to a post of mine that went by otherwise unremarked. :thumb:

Quote from: tristan_geoff on Mar 27, 2024, 05:16 AMBut yes the thing ppl say abt ur brain not being able to go to 100% usually is bs... we use most of our brain daily
^ I don't have facts and figures, but I'm sure this is not true. Back in the 60s the whole psychedelic revolution was based on the science-backed idea that we habitually use only a small portion of our brain, and that it is only through drugs or meditation that we can really open up those buried neural possibilities.

As for your comment about 100%, Trollheart, you are right, 100% is all there is of something, so it can't be higher - and yet plenty of legitimate percentages go beyond the 100 mark: hyperinflation can be calculated to be running at 200% for example. I need to lie down in a dark room for a while to try and figure out how it is that you and I are both simultaneously right.

To get lost is to learn the way.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Mar 27, 2024, 03:26 PM^ Yep, there's a limited case where "I'm loving" is the verb tense that best fits, Lexi, but I agree with TH, that it's overused, thanks to the McDonald's slogan, where it doesn't really apply. There's a grammar rule about verbs such as like, hate, believe, know, which says that they're not usually used with that ING ending - so, thank you McDonald's for making me explain to students that your slogan is not a good example to follow.
(Next Up: Thank you Pink Floyd for "We don't need no education", and special thanks to Gwen Stefani for "I ain't no hollaback girl. Oooh, this my shit, this my shit")

For sure. I guess I just haven't really encountered anyone using that tense inappropriately like that. But I will take your word for it.

On the subject of double negatives, it gets even weirder if someone says something like "it don't mean nothing to nobody". That's a triple negative, haha.

I usually just kind of ignore it, but I definitely understand stuff like that being a lot more annoying from the perspective of a teacher.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

From my understanding of the brain, and I dont know too much, I've always been under the impression that the brain is constantly evolving which I think is why people relate it to some sort of super computer. Which would make it nearly impossible for us to use most of it given that its constantly growing and evolving. I could be completely wrong though. I just always assumed that we use anywhere between 30-40% of our brain power.

Quote from: Key on Mar 27, 2024, 03:44 PMFrom my understanding of the brain, and I dont know too much, I've always been under the impression that the brain is constantly evolving which I think is why people relate it to some sort of super computer. Which would make it nearly impossible for us to use most of it given that its constantly growing and evolving. I could be completely wrong though. I just always assumed that we use anywhere between 30-40% of our brain power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_percent_of_the_brain_myth?wprov=sfla1

In fairness, I was probably only using 10% of my brain when I said that.

I know I use at least 8% of my brain.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Mar 27, 2024, 03:41 PMFor sure. I guess I just haven't really encountered anyone using that tense inappropriately like that. But I will take your word for it.

On the subject of double negatives, it gets even weirder if someone says something like "it don't mean nothing to nobody". That's a triple negative, haha.

I usually just kind of ignore it, but I definitely understand stuff like that being a lot more annoying from the perspective of a teacher.

^ Despite mentioning it here, it doesn't bother me much - especially today, because with advent of Google and the way music has become so diversified, it's no longer common for students to ask me, "What are they saying in this song?"

Quote from: grindy on Mar 27, 2024, 04:47 PMhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_percent_of_the_brain_myth?wprov=sfla1

^ Well, there goes a long-cherished belief of mine! My apologies to tristan .
Still, it's better to be well-informed, even if it leaves you feeling a little:-

To get lost is to learn the way.

I tend to use very little of my brain - too much of it is rented out for ad space

NEED AMMO FOR YOUR ASSAULT RIFLE? CHECK OUT KRAZY IVAN'S GUNSHACK DEALS! WE AIM TO BEAT THE COMPETITION!

Sorry, that happens a lot. Still, you gotta pay the bills.

Look, there seems to be some sort of disconnect here with regard to what was said about the brain. First though, tristan I asked if you were having a stroke because your post was gibberish, like you had butt-texted or something. None of it was spelled any way correctly. It was a joke, of course, but that's why I asked, so when you say, to use your own acronym, wdym, well, twim.

Regardless of how much we use of our brains, the simple, unalterable fact remains that it can't be more than 100 percent, because that is the limit. You can't own, say, 140 percent of a horse, or see more than 100 percent of the world. After 100 percent, it stops. If we were to, in the far far future, somehow explore the known universe, we could only explore 100 percent of it. As to Lisna's other point, yes of course there can BE more than 100% if you're multiplying - world population rose by 250 percent - but that still means, in that case, twice as much as the whole thing and another 50 percent. It doesn't negate the fact that 100 percent is the full, entire thing. Anyway, my beef is with people, as I said, saying things like "I agree 190 percent" or "I'm putting 110 percent effort into this." Can't be done. Literally. If you fully agree, you agree 100 percent. If you work the very hardest you can, you can consider you've given it 100 percent, and no more, because it's not possible. It is of course just a way of over-exaggerating how much you agree/disagree/insert feeling here, but it is wrong.

Why have I never been in this thread before? 😂

I can't wait to contribute now