Quote from: Dreams on Mar 16, 2023, 08:01 PMi still think you're too caught up in this one example

i promise you, not just in america but all around the world the incarcerated are among the most uncared for abandoned people on earth

prisons are human suffering factories and in general but mostly i am speaking of america prisons prisoners are given no quarter physically or psychologically

the number of people suffering untold atrocities with no recourse throughout the world in prisons many for victimless or simple property crimes is a much greater cause of human suffering than mass shootings

there's no shame in treating people humanely

and no amount of suffering inflicted on the criminal can change the past

i actually know a pretty lot about american prisons and very little about what's happening in europe but i've read that french and english prisons are comparable

i'm not trying to strawman you - you haven't said that norway should adopt the american model but big picture i'd rather a few had it too easy than have hundreds of thousands living in hell

I don't disagree but tell that to the people who lost their loved one to said criminal. It's natural for someone to want their pound of flesh. Revenge, sad to say, is one of those tragic human fallibilities.

The Word has spoken :D

Fully agree with that last sentence Dreams posted. I think prisons badly need reform.

Also don't think it's right that you can have a person who failed to pay tax locked up with a murderer or other violent criminal.

Violent criminals should be kept in a separate facility to the non violent.

Only God knows.

QuoteI don't disagree but tell that to the people who lost their loved one to said criminal. It's natural for someone to want their pound of flesh. Revenge, sad to say, is one of those tragic human fallibilities.

yeah i'm a revenge minded person myself

when i see families calling for revenge because their loved one was killed by the police the first thing i think is they should kill THEIR kids

It always seemed like a pretty harsh way to end a hockey game.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

I agree there should be either separate murder/rape/abuse prisons, or they should be sectioned off from the others. Definitely some crimes are lesser and it is without question not right how someone who has, I don't know, not paid a parking fine and happens to be the wrong colour in a state or whatever is thrown in there with the lions. But for those who have been convicted of really serious crimes, I'll be honest: I dont' want them having an easy time in prison. It's meant to be punishment. Look at the English 19th century example: criminals couldn't even speak to each other, had to perform meaningless but very taxing tasks every day, no energy left for drugs or planning breakouts or getting into gangs. Not saying that was right either, but you hear people say "Oh I can do that time standing on my head" and it's nothing to them. That definitely can't be right. Someone kills someone or rapes someone and then goes to a place where they don't even find it hard to live?

Japan has very rigid conditions you might approve of

I feel like the death penalty would be great if the United States actually had a competent judicial system.  To many disgustingly correupt aspects about it that make it a terrible idea.

From the policing, to the relationships between the cops/prosecuter/judges being one big boys (and girls) club.  I have seen first hand how that can play for or against you depending on your level of wealth or connection.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Mar 26, 2023, 12:31 PMIdaho governor signs firing squad execution bill into law

QuoteThe Idaho Department of Correction estimates it will cost around $750,000 to build or retrofit a death chamber for firing squad executions.

Huh? The prisons already have yards and nearby firing ranges on the officers' training grounds. Take them to the firing range in cuffs and shackles, march them five yards back and shoot them. $750,000 for a room to shoot someone in wt actual f?

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 26, 2023, 02:18 PM
QuoteThe Idaho Department of Correction estimates it will cost around $750,000 to build or retrofit a death chamber for firing squad executions.

Huh? The prisons already have yards and nearby firing ranges on the officers' training grounds. Take them to the firing range in cuffs and shackles, march them five yards back and shoot them. $750,000 for a room to shoot someone in wt actual f?

Typical overpriced American government expenditures.

Maybe they should outsource the executions to China.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Mar 26, 2023, 04:23 PM

Typical overpriced American government expenditures.

Maybe they should outsource the executions to China.

they do it right

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Mar 26, 2023, 12:31 PMIdaho governor signs firing squad execution bill into law

I'd guess most people don't want to fire a gun or rifle at an actual human being. Even if we legalized death penalty, I doubt making shooting people part of a workday would get past our labour laws.

So maybe that has something to do with it? Like maybe they have some firing robot or something?

Just wildly guessing here ofc.

Happiness is a warm manatee

QuoteI'd guess most people don't want to fire a gun or rifle at an actual human being.

Dude they'd have half the state of Idaho paying to do it. They could very easily make money auctioning off the right to be an executioner.

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 26, 2023, 06:14 PM
QuoteI'd guess most people don't want to fire a gun or rifle at an actual human being.

Dude they'd have half the state of Idaho paying to do it. They could very easily make money auctioning off the right to be an executioner.

I think this tops the list for most cynical comments so far of 2023 😄 I hope it's not that bad. Is it?

As a side note; I enjoy violent, shocking fiction, but maybe part of what allows that is it's so clearly in the realm of fantasy for me.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 26, 2023, 05:31 PMI'd guess most people don't want to fire a gun or rifle at an actual human being. Even if we legalized death penalty, I doubt making shooting people part of a workday would get past our labour laws.

So maybe that has something to do with it? Like maybe they have some firing robot or something?

Just wildly guessing here ofc.