Hey guys!

What are some of your favorite microphones?

I record a bit of acoustic guitar, something I have a couple of Shure KSM-141s for. I just place one around the 12th fret and one looking at the sound hole or edge of it at an angle. I roughly measure appropriate distance by stretching out my thumb and little finger and adding a little. This is usually fine and gives no phasing issues etc. but my results were immediately more pleasing to my ears when I switched out the KSM-141 closest to the guitar neck with my Milab DC-96B which had been sitting in the closet for a while.

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Milab/DC-96B

For some reason, I had had it as a go-to for classical guitars and didn't use it on westerns for a while, but obviously that was the wrong decision because it sounds great on steel strings. Top end is lovely and it seems to have that undefinable pizazz, that weird shine or appeal that some equip just gives you.

Sound is always mysterious, like maybe it just works particularly well with the preamp it's now connected to? But anyways, it's my current favourite for acoustic guitar :)

Happiness is a warm manatee

For miking heavy guitar tones a combo of a Shure SM57 and a Sennheiser E609.

I like Sennheiser mics too :) I use an MK8 for vocal recordings and also have an e935 somewhere.. although when it comes to dynamics, I guess I prefer the SM58 for my own vocals.

Happiness is a warm manatee