Feel free to discuss the March contest (but not the stories themselves- leave that to the judges :D ) here.

The Word has spoken :D

Again, a reminder to discuss the contest here. Leave the main contest thread for the entries so the judges don't get confused. :D

Started on my piece yesterday. Word limit is making me realize how verbose my writing style is and it's proving to be a challenge. I'm used to writing novels and even my short stories tend to be quite long comparatively. I'm gonna try my best, but I'm a bit out of my element.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I sympathise. It's a really hard thing to do. I also run off at the mouth when writing - many of my short stories are more like novellas - but you can do it. Look at what you've written: are you repeating anything? Giving unnecessary information? Taking too many words to say something? Can you shorten dialogue? It can be done. Look at this:

Example 1: As I got down off the train, looking to the left, I noticed the entire station seemed to be filled with thick dark smoke, and I felt a feeling of dark unease and dread.
Total words: 34

Example 2: Thick dark smoke obscured my vision as I alighted from the train. I felt a sense of dread and unease.
Total words: 20

You've written the same sentence, conveyed the same idea, but with almost half as many words. It's trimming the fat, realising that maybe you're describing too much or going into too much detail. It is a sort of skill but it's possible to learn it. It means you probably can't use as, let's say, flowery language as you would like to, but you can still keep the spirit of the piece and say what you want to say.

If you like, post a sentence or two (either from your story or another one you've written) and I'll show you how to shorten it without losing any of the impact. If you want.

I started brainstorming today.

I'm okay with what I've got but it's not my most brilliant. It's gonna be hard to do it in 700 words.

Sorry if I've been AWOL. I'm struggling with a bout of pneumonia.

But there is still plenty of time to get your entries in. Don't forget, they get posted here.

Don't let Trollheart win by default. :D

I'll be posting mine within the week, actually easier than I thought doing it in under 700 words.

Hey gang. About nine more days to get your entries in. And, judges, get ready with your keyboards and your rapier wit. Don't forget to send your score and comments to me starting March 22 and I'll post the results on March 31st.

We have two entries so far. Who else is willing to challenge the likes of Trollheart and robhr? :)

Yeah, look it's gonna make it hard for me to judge if there's only one entry other than my own to deal with. Can we get more entries please?

Mine is almost ready, I just need a bit more editing time and I like to have a little period to let it stew before I submit it. It'll be on your desk by the 21st.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I wonder would it be worth extending a sort of olive branch to MB and asking if anyone there wants to submit a story? We're looking at less than a week to go and we have two entries, one promised and maybe one more. Even if they're not members and don't want to be, maybe they could drop a story? Or maybe you just want to stay with what we have, but I don't think it's going to be exactlly an avalanche of entrants. Or maybe extend it for a few months? Give people a chance to get something written? Shrug.

Not even if it's tipped with poison?  ;)

I wouldn't have a problem with advertising at MB as it's the only source we have right now. WF would be better but Pip would probably have you banned in a heartbeat.

btw, just a few more days. How about you, Dreams, entering? I'm not so I can stay non-biased as host.