Feb 12, 2023, 09:10 AM Last Edit: Feb 12, 2023, 09:13 AM by Guybrush
Hey there!

So how do you feel about prostitution? Should it be legal or not? Is it a service we need and who needs it? Do you or have you paid for sex.. or ever sold it?

I come from a country where it is legal. Still, I find it mostly distasteful and have not used those services. I don't mind the general act so much, but I think the risks involved are not the sort young people should have to deal with in their professional lives. Yet, making it illegal might be bad in terms of how we handle victims of human trafficking who are forced into prostitution.

For those who willingly pursue this as a way to make money, it might be good if there was a union to help out with certain things, services and problems.. if such a thing would be possible and not targeted by the law we have that prohibits pimping. Norway is tiny, but maybe you have this elsewhere.

The best version of selling sex that I believe I've heard of is efforts towards making sex services available to people who are disabled and lack intimate human contact / sex (perhaps even masturbation) as a result of their condition. They do this in Denmark and Netherlands, I believe (maybe @Marie Monday can confirm).

Happiness is a warm manatee

Oh idk how it works here. As long as it's done in a proper way (meaning completely voluntary, not just in a 'i need to have money to eat' way but in a 'i genuinely like this work' way) who am I to tell someone they can't prostitue themselves, but there need to be a LOT of safety regulations to ensure that

Quote from: Marie Monday on Feb 12, 2023, 12:14 PMOh idk how it works here. As long as it's done in a proper way (meaning completely voluntary, not just in a 'i need to have money to eat' way but in a 'i genuinely like this work' way) who am I to tell someone they can't prostitue themselves, but there need to be a LOT of safety regulations to ensure that

I think we're in agreement. It can be dangerous being so close to people physically, sexually and emotionally. At least if it's legal, it's possible to organize, report things to police etc.

I'm not crazy about legalizing prostitution. A woman shouldn't have to feel like she has to give up her body to make a living. Even with all the protections in legalized prostitution, and I still think it's only legal in Las Vegas in the US, you could still get an STD or wind up pregnant (Better hope abortion doesn't become illegal nationally). I wouldn't bust the prostitutes so much though, maybe try to see a way out for them, but I would nail the Johns. Most of them are married, right? Take care of your wife, you numbnuts! I guess you could make an exception for the disabled but I guess I'm not a free love type of guy, especially when it costs money (talk about an oxymoron).

I don't mean to sound like a prude. I just think there are more important things to do then paying some strange woman just to get laid.

The Word has spoken :D

Legalize it and remove the stigma for sellers and buyers.

Only God knows.

My thoughts are you should be able to do whatever you want as long as you're not harming anybody else, so I am in favour of legalized prostitution.

Not full libertarian but socially libertarian.

I think it should be legal. It's something that will always exist in some form so it's better and safer for everyone if it has some kind of protection and oversight.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

i don't understand why people get so up in arms about sexual servitude but are so accepting of all the servitude and exploitation inherent in capitalism in general

i support legalization but we need a real economic safety net to prevent exploitation of any sort

Quotemeaning completely voluntary, not just in a 'i need to have money to eat' way but in a 'i genuinely like this work' way

bullseye 🎯

i believe that almost all prostitution is rape because it's economically coercive and in Florida it walks hand in hand with severe substance abuse problems and serious mental illnesses- plus i think many people are unaware of how cultlike and brutal the relationships are between the pimps and the police and the prostitutes - the prostitutes have no shelter - the pimps and the police pass them back and forth and abuse and exploit them in different ways - the jails have no resources for detoxing medical care - the incarceration process is violent and unsanitary even for women - and having the criminal record leaves the prostitute with no realistic alternative- if you look at their mugshots they look 60 by the time they're 30 - and aids is still very real here

the typical story is abuse and neglect as a child - rejection and excommunication from the cult of capitalism early as an adult - abusive sexual relationships morphing into prostitution- mental illness and addiction- abuse from the penal system - an early death

obviously that's unacceptable on every front

#8 Mar 06, 2023, 05:16 AM Last Edit: Mar 06, 2023, 05:18 AM by Nimbly9
Prostitution sucks because it is coercive and soul draining in ways that most other lines of work are not. I don't see a problem with it being legal though. Good or bad, it's just another choice.

The so-called "world's oldest profession" won't be going away as long as there are people around, so I think it's better to have it legalized so there will be at least some forms of regulation and protection for everyone involved.

Quote from: Dreams on Feb 14, 2023, 01:56 PMi don't understand why people get so up in arms about sexual servitude but are so accepting of all the servitude and exploitation inherent in capitalism in general

i support legalization but we need a real economic safety net to prevent exploitation of any sort

Quotemeaning completely voluntary, not just in a 'i need to have money to eat' way but in a 'i genuinely like this work' way

bullseye 🎯

i believe that almost all prostitution is rape because it's economically coercive and in Florida it walks hand in hand with severe substance abuse problems and serious mental illnesses- plus i think many people are unaware of how cultlike and brutal the relationships are between the pimps and the police and the prostitutes - the prostitutes have no shelter - the pimps and the police pass them back and forth and abuse and exploit them in different ways - the jails have no resources for detoxing medical care - the incarceration process is violent and unsanitary even for women - and having the criminal record leaves the prostitute with no realistic alternative- if you look at their mugshots they look 60 by the time they're 30 - and aids is still very real here

the typical story is abuse and neglect as a child - rejection and excommunication from the cult of capitalism early as an adult - abusive sexual relationships morphing into prostitution- mental illness and addiction- abuse from the penal system - an early death

obviously that's unacceptable on every front

living in Florida goes hand in hand with substance abuse and mental illness. You can't blame prostitution for that.

Quoteliving in Florida goes hand in hand with substance abuse and mental illness. You can't blame prostitution for that.

florida does have many ways it can get you

i think your point is 70% on target

I think maybe this is just a male privilege but I let some guy blow me for like $160 dollars once and I can't say I wouldn't be doing that on a daily basis if I knew I had a steady stream of business and could effectively rule out STDs. It's the pragmatic element of it being a shady down low industry that makes it unappealing.

Quote from: Jwb on Mar 11, 2023, 04:09 AMI think maybe this is just a male privilege but I let some guy blow me for like $160 dollars once and I can't say I wouldn't be doing that on a daily basis if I knew I had a steady stream of business and could effectively rule out STDs. It's the pragmatic element of it being a shady down low industry that makes it unappealing.

I'm just curious and maybe a little fascinated. How did you get that offer and were there other times you made money like this?

By the way I ofc also remember your story about the girl you were in love with who was a prostitute.

^That wasn't me lol. Unless you know way more about my ex than I do.

As for how I got the offer... I made a profile on this website back in the day called adult friend finder. It wasn't the only time I've gotten that sort of proposition though.  I've been approached like that just walking down US1 late at night in West palm beach. One guy offered me $200 and some cocaine.  But the only time I ever took the offer was the time I mentioned.