Before the SNES, I had a Commodore 64 with a god damned tape deck. While I loved it, it was slow and unreliable and the games were usually brutal.

When the Super Nintendo came in the early 90s, I was ecstatic and must have badgered my parents about it quite a bit because they eventually bought one.

Games were awfully expensive so I just had a few at any one time, but I traded away the ones I liked less and I also rented games at the local video rental.

Some favorites of mine were:

• Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (best SNES game ever)
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Mario World (ofc)
  • Rock N Roll Racing
  • Soul Blazer
  • Actraiser

What are some of your favorites? :)

Happiness is a warm manatee

The only games I remember having on SNES were Pilotwings, Super Mario Allstars which had five Mario games on it including SMW mentioned above, and a fighting game.

SMW was probably my favourite.

Only God knows.

Right now I have no consoles, I'm not really a big gamer. I sometimes play GTA V on PC but that's it really.

What annoys me with consoles is that you may need to buy two or three to play the games you want, for me it would be MGS and Zelda at least, so I'd need a PS4/5 and a Switch. No other form of media works like that. You don't need to buy one TV for Netflix, one for Discovery, one for your news channels. Hopefully in future all games can be cross platform.

Someone might explain why it makes sense but to me it doesn't.

Only God knows.

Chrono Trigger, which I actually got to late... Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG, A Link to the Past, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars, Kirby All Stars, Kirby's Dream Course and Bomberman.

I got to Super Metroid way late to the party, just started playing it on the Switch SNES thing.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 10, 2023, 02:42 AMHopefully in future all games can be cross platform.

Someone might explain why it makes sense but to me it doesn't.

I hope so too. It is annoying. You have a related problem on TV too, I'd say. Instead of comparing a game to Netflix, you can compare it to a movie or TV Show that is available on one service and not another.

As streaming services take over the gaming world, I believe the requirement of having the actual console will largely disappear (it has to a large extent already and stadia was stream only). It'll be more or less like for other streaming services.

Quote from: robhr on Feb 10, 2023, 03:37 AMChrono Trigger, which I actually got to late... Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG, A Link to the Past, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars, Kirby All Stars, Kirby's Dream Course and Bomberman.

I got to Super Metroid way late to the party, just started playing it on the Switch SNES thing.

I've played all of those, though some of them only on emulator. I so badly wanted Final Fantasy VI as a kid, but I just couldn't get it. It was probably the first game I looked for when I got an emulator.

It's great :)

Chrono Trigger I played for a while, but never finished. Super Mario RPG is supposedly good. I tried it, but it didn't appeal to me much.

#5 Mar 22, 2023, 03:06 PM Last Edit: Mar 22, 2023, 03:13 PM by SGR
Some great games already mentinoed, but to me, you can't talk about great SNES games without mentioning Super Punch Out - one of those great games I grew up with - demanded memorization of enemy patterns and a lot of dexterity to win - but what a blast of a game. Really wish Nintendo would make another one instead of constantly churning out these dumb Mario Sports games - last one was on the Wii.

And then of course there was Killer Instinct - which was one of the coolest fighting games back in the day that never reached the heights or popularity of Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat - but boy, when the narrator would yell "ULTRA!!!" when you pulled off a sick combo, there was nothing else like it.

And on top of all that coolness, it had the most badass intro/theme basically of all time. It just doesn't get better than this - there wasn't a single time I'd pop that cartridge in and not get hyped hearing this theme:

Damn, I misread the title and was trying to think of NES games. SNES was kind of after my time. :laughing:

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Mar 22, 2023, 03:11 PMDamn, I misread the title and was trying to think of NES games. SNES was kind of after my time. :laughing:

You gotta put on your reading glasses, old man  :laughing:

Quote from: SGR on Mar 22, 2023, 03:14 PM
Quote from: Janszoon on Mar 22, 2023, 03:11 PMDamn, I misread the title and was trying to think of NES games. SNES was kind of after my time. :laughing:

You gotta put on your reading glasses, old man  :laughing:

Reading glasses? Back in my day we just squinted.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Nice SGR 🙂 I've only played Super Punch Out for 15 minutes or so, but spent quite a bit of time playing Killer Instinct back in the day. I didn't have it myself, but I knew someone who did. It was one of those friends where basically the only thing we connected over was gaming and borrowing each other's games. I had a few of those :laughing:

About other consoles/systems existing around the same time, I played NES and C64 before we got our SNES, but games weren't as good for those systems, I think. PC was fun, also played some Spectrum ZX and Amstrad of all things. But my favorite thing besides SNES was the AMIGA 500 which had some absolutely great titles, like The Monkey Island games, It Came From the Desert, Hunter and Moonstone. Might be thread-worthy 🙂

Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 23, 2023, 12:38 AMNice SGR 🙂 I've only played Super Punch Out for 15 minutes or so, but spent quite a bit of time playing Killer Instinct back in the day. I didn't have it myself, but I knew someone who did. It was one of those friends where basically the only thing we connected over was gaming and borrowing each other's games. I had a few of those :laughing:

About other consoles/systems existing around the same time, I played NES and C64 before we got our SNES, but games weren't as good for those systems, I think. PC was fun, also played some Spectrum ZX and Amstrad of all things. But my favorite thing besides SNES was the AMIGA 500 which had some absolutely great titles, like The Monkey Island games, It Came From the Desert, Hunter and Moonstone. Might be thread-worthy 🙂

Yeah, games started to get more complicated, involved, and varied with the SNES era of consoles - my Dad grew up with an Atari 2600 - and I got to play many of those games as he kept his console through the years and I gotta say....*yawn*. Growing up with an SNES, then an N64 and eventually Gamecube made the Atari 2600 seem completely atavistic in comparison. That said, I still love arcades and arcade games, the Atari just didn't have the power to do the ports justice (ever seen Pac Man on Atari 2600?):

I will say, I've read some stories about how crafty and clever game developers had to be back in those days to make things work given how little they had to work with in comparison to modern game devs - it's pretty impressive some of the tricks they came up with.

#11 Mar 23, 2023, 03:29 PM Last Edit: Mar 23, 2023, 03:34 PM by SGR
Oh yeah, also, how have we all forgotten to mention Donkey Kong Country? One of the greatest 2D platformers of all time, and even if Killer Instinct has my favorite title theme, Donkey Kong Country easily has the best overall soundtrack for any SNES game - the whole soundtrack is nothing but banger after banger:

These drums could've came straight out of a PiL album:

Oh right I forgot. Also Donkey Kong Country 1 through 3.