Feb 07, 2023, 06:14 PM Last Edit: Feb 08, 2023, 04:23 PM by Guybrush
Aloha, Guest!

I propose the following game which I've decided to call Song Battles. The game goes as follows:

• I will post my champion (a song played by an artist)
  • You (or someone else) will post your opposing champion (a different song played by an artist)
  • The next person will judge and announce a winner (the song they like the most)
  • That person from step 3 will then post a new challenger (a song by an artist) to challenge the winner they just announced
  • Go back to step 3 and loop this into infinity

So a champion can potentially battle a series of battles before they are defeated.

A few guidelines:

• When choosing an opposing champion, try finding a song that's somewhere in a similar ballpark genrewise. It's good if style differs a bit because that can move the game into different genres, but let's try not to make King Crimson compete against Aqua. The reason is if genres are wildly different, judging is likely to come down to preferred genre rather than the strength of the songs.
  • Preferably, we choose songs people know and are able to judge fairly on. It might not always be possible, but it should be preferable.
  • If several answer at the same time, the first post goes! I'd like to try not to branch into several games going parallell.

My first champion will be.. Falco, I choose you!

Which song and artist will go up against the mighty Falco and his song Der Kommissar?

Happiness is a warm manatee

I would like to nominate "Tarzan Boy" by Baltimora.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

I like both songs, they're both in the category of "80s hits that aren't played out" in my mind, but ultimately I have to give it to Falco, I like the guitar riff, the bubbling synths, the swagger of the vocal performance, and it feels a bit less gimmicky to me. And bonus points for the incredible green screen masterpiece that is the music video.

For the next battle I will go a decade up and choose Rusty Cage by Soundgarden.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

This one is easy for me because I don't like "Rusty Cage" much. :P So Falco it is!

I'll keep in the 90s with "Failing Systems" by the Bogmen:

My man Falco so far undefeated :love: how long can the winning streak last?

We need someone to judge the battle between Falco's Der Kommisar and The Bogmen's Failing Systems. :)

Might it be @Comus? What about @Nimbly9 or @Mrs. Waffles?

Der Kommisar

In the age of ignorance, being informed is a choice.

Quote from: Comus on Feb 10, 2023, 08:15 AMDer Kommisar

Nice! Do you have a challenger of your own to take on the fury of Falco?

That's a gods damned treasure of a champ you found there, Trolls. I'm impressed!

I can't judge in my own battle, though, so giving this a bump in the hopes it can catch the attention of someone willing to give this a fair ruling.

Which song is better?

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 07, 2023, 06:14 PMMy first champion will be.. Falco, I choose you!

Which song and artist will go up against the mighty Falco and his song Der Kommissar?

Vs.

Quote from: Trollheart on Feb 14, 2023, 08:27 PMTry this.

I'll give Falco my vote for this round.

Here's my challenger...

And I go with Sex Dwarf

And my challenger...

The Word has spoken :D

#12 Mar 14, 2023, 04:53 PM Last Edit: Mar 14, 2023, 04:54 PM by Guybrush
Quote from: Rubber Soul on Mar 14, 2023, 03:57 PMAnd I go with Sex Dwarf

Well, you would, wouldn't you? Rooting for your own people only to turn against them so quickly with a champ of your own.

And a champ it is because Translator is the victor!

I'm (almost) sorry to bring such big guns against a relative unknown like Translator, but as my own challenger, I choose:

XTC with Making Plans for Nigel:

Even though your video doesn't work for me, "Making Plans for Nigel" wins because it's one of my favorite songs. :)

I'm putting it up against "Here to Stay" by New Order.

Have to stick with Nigel on this one.

But can it hold off this challenger?

The Word has spoken :D