What should the word limit be for writing entries?

3 (60%)
0 (0%)
1 (20%)
0 (0%)
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: Feb 09, 2023, 04:31 PM

Okay, let's get this thing off the ground. :)

So, how many words should we limit writing entries too (there will be no minimum, only a maximum).

Also, if anyone has an idea for a theme for March's contest, you can post it in this thread. I'll be setting up a poll for that after this poll expires in five days.

The Word has spoken :D

I really don't mind. I've written stories with a limit of 70 words to 1000 and more, so I'll fit my style to whatever the majority agree. As for themes, something we're doing over at another forum I'm on is not selecting a theme but instead giving a list of words, and you have to use some or all of them in your story. They can be totally random, like maybe bird, jewel, procrastination, sky, chimney, cloud, avarice, etc. Widens the remit a little, or seems to anyway.

Well, what we can do is maybe have a theme of words as a candidate (I still themes better overall). I'll let you choose the words, Trolls. :laughing:

As for me, since we're talking about March, I'm going to nominate as my theme, something Irish or having to do with Ireland in honor of St. Patty's day.

Don't forget to give me your nominees for the theme. And don't forget to vote on the word count if you haven't already. :)

I like the idea of themes too. I would like to nominate the theme of food, cooking and dining. No real reason other than that it's something I write about often and I'd love to see others' relationship to the topic expressed through writing.

Alternatively, perhaps a more general theme like romance?

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Less is more when it comes to creativity, constraint is what inspires genius.

In the age of ignorance, being informed is a choice.

Hey, gang. Don't forge to vote in the poll if you haven't yet. The poll expires Wednesday.

And send in your nominees for March's theme :)

Okay gang, you've got about 26 more hours to vote on how long the entries should be. Right now, it's looking like a 700 word limit so if you disagree, you better vote. :)

Any other ideas for themes for the next poll?

Just a couple hours to vote on word limits. And don't forget to give me your nominees for March themes. Poll goes up Sunday. :)

Alright, can I suggest aliens? :laughing:

They were so "in" in the 90s, but have since fallen out of favour, it seems to me. We got the movie Nope now recently, so perhaps were due for a resurgence.

Happiness is a warm manatee

My plan was to cheat and submit something I've already written but I don't have anything under 700 words so I won't cheat.

How much time do we have to write?

The contest won't start until March 1. I'll probably give three weeks for the writing and a week for judging. Also, each contest will have a theme (The poll will go up this Sunday). If you want to nominate a theme, this is the time to do it.

Quote from: Rubber Soul on Feb 09, 2023, 09:19 PMThe contest won't start until March 1. I'll probably give three weeks for the writing and a week for judging. Also, each contest will have a theme (The poll will go up this Sunday). If you want to nominate a theme, this is the time to do it.

I'm gonna second aliens.

Okay, so the winner is 700 words and that will be the word limit for our contests. Again, this is a maximum, there will be no minimum so if you want to write a 50 word story, be my guest. :)

As for nominees, so far we have...

Use specific words in story (Trollheart- may need to elaborate on the words)
Anything Irish (Rubber Soul)
Food Cooking and Dining (Mrs. Waffles)
Aliens (Guybrush and robhr)

Poll goes up Sunday so any other theme ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)

Do we have any more theme ideas before I put up the poll tomorrow?

Bueller?... Bueller?...

It's for March isn't it? So how about madness/insanity/paranoia?