Quote from: SGR on Jul 09, 2024, 02:33 AMI've actually never read Dracula, but I have read Frankenstein, and that novel is excellent! Definitely not exactly what I expected going into it.

Dracula is interesting, but not great in my opinion. I don't much care for its epistolary format, being pieced together from various characters' diary pages and other incidental documents.

The story itself is great, though.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Essential Tennis - Ian Westermann
Tennis Anatomy - Paul Roetert
Atlas Obscura - Joshua Foer
Moonwalking with Einstein - Joshua Foer
Golf : The ultimate guide - (Dorling Kindersley Books)

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 11, 2024, 08:16 AMDracula is interesting, but not great in my opinion. I don't much care for its epistolary format, being pieced together from various characters' diary pages and other incidental documents.

The story itself is great, though.

When I read Dracula, I was surprised by the format because it seemed like a more modern way of a telling a story. I'm with you though, it was interesting but not great. I was shocked that Dracula had a mustache though.

Throw your dog the invisible bone.

Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 11, 2024, 05:58 PMWhen I read Dracula, I was surprised by the format because it seemed like a more modern way of a telling a story. I'm with you though, it was interesting but not great. I was shocked that Dracula had a mustache though.

You'd think a mustache wouldn't be optimal for a vampire in terms of maintaining his secret on the offchance that, ya know, he forgets to wipe the blood off.  :laughing:

I had a gothic literature class in college, and one of my favorites, besides Frankenstein, is Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I actually have some funny stories about that class, particularly with verbal spats I got into with a pretentious egghead who thought he was the smartest guy in the room.  :laughing:

I read Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde as well. I remember it was a relatively short and quick read 😄

I remember reading Lord of the Flies around the same time.

epistolary novels were actually quite common in old times

Survival Horror games are kind of like epistolery novels if you think about it.

I think that was their version of found footage horror.

Quote from: Lucem Ferre on Jul 12, 2024, 03:38 AMSurvival Horror games are kind of like epistolery novels if you think about it.

I think that was their version of found footage horror.

Only the bad ones. In good survival horror games, notes/documents found should only serve as enrichment to the broader narrative.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 11, 2024, 11:55 PMI read Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde as well. I remember it was a relatively short and quick read 😄

I remember reading Lord of the Flies around the same time.

I'm a bit pissed off that everybody knows the story's twist by now. I really liked it but I can only imagine how impactful the reveal that they are the same person used to be back in the day.

Quote from: SGR on Jul 11, 2024, 10:20 PMYou'd think a mustache wouldn't be optimal for a vampire in terms of maintaining his secret on the offchance that, ya know, he forgets to wipe the blood off.  :laughing:

Maybe it's how he styled his mustache. Just comb it and wait for the blood to coagulate—your mustache will stay styled all day!

I finished Frankenstein. Just a book about Dr. Frankenstein & his monster having a trauma dump competition. Frankenstein won, that monster was just hideously ugly then whined about ruining somebody else's life.

Speaking of hideous monsters that ruin lives, I'm reading the Mussolini book next.

Lol
You're a little bit harsh on the monster but you're not wrong about him. Frankenstein himself though, he's worse. Imagine being so afraid of sex with your quasi-incestuous girlfriend that you inflict a monster upon the world and then you're too much of a coward to help him (out of it). What a pathetic asshole

I think retellings of some of these stories have improved on aspects of them. Particularly, I actually didn't mind the romantic Dracula/Mina Harker angle from Coppola's movie, even if a bit 90s cheesy. I realize purists will hate, but it elevates Dracula from being more monster man to being this tragic being with a lot more depth to him.

The dated and cheesy Frankenstein movie from the 90s with Robert De Niro made a good decision having Frankenstein bring his wife back. Though, it really doesn't make sense unless he for what ever reason kept gallons of extra amniotic fluids and for some reason saved all of his tools and devices and made the laborious effort to bring them back to Geneva with him. Glaring plot holes aside, it was a good idea.

Quote from: Lucem Ferre on Jul 30, 2024, 04:37 PMThe dated and cheesy Frankenstein movie from the 90s with Robert De Niro made a good decision having Frankenstein bring his wife back. Though, it really doesn't make sense unless he for what ever reason kept gallons of extra amniotic fluids and for some reason saved all of his tools and devices and made the laborious effort to bring them back to Geneva with him. Glaring plot holes aside, it was a good idea.

I never watched that one, but I liked the one with Sting when I was a kid.